Clown Catcher

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
willborl

Clown Catcher

Post by willborl »

Just got round to picking this one up. In fair/poor condition but needs some restoration work and I think there are a few problems with it.
Not too sure who made it or what country it originated from. The felt background, although you cannot tell because it's so discoloured , is green. I think the case has been stained and there are holes in the top where a topflash would once have stood (I think).
I'm not 100% sure how these machines work so I'm not sure what is missing/not working on the mech. I can see from other pictures I have of the mech that there is a "pump" missing.
I'm not sure how the machine pays out as well, there is a tube with a plate at the end which I'm guessing pays out checks or something similar.
From other pictures as well, I can see that the handle on the right should be in a horizontal position whereas the handle on mine is vertical. I'm also not sure what springs are missing and what some of the levers do. Also how many balls are meant to be in the machine? Any answers and info would be great plus anything extra would be useful.
Thanks
Attachments
P5090021.JPG
P5090019.JPG
P5090017.JPG
The mech. What do the levers do and is there a pump missing?
The mech. What do the levers do and is there a pump missing?
The handle not in the correct position?
The handle not in the correct position?
P5090012.JPG
The chute running towards the payout cup. A lever on the inside twists the bit at the end of the chute??
The chute running towards the payout cup. A lever on the inside twists the bit at the end of the chute??
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Clown Catcher

Post by pennymachines »

Congratulations on your acquisition!

It looks to be 90% complete - probably the biggest problem will be sourcing the pump you mentioned. See Bajazzo Clown for a close-up picture of it.

It uses a single steel ball-bearing which, when captured by the clown, drops down a chute causing the little pawl to release a token from a visible row of tokens held end-to-end in the glass chute on the front of the machine. The missing token is then replaced from the hopper inside.

I think you'll find the handle's fine - it returns to the horizontal when the ball cradle on the end of the long arm is at its lowest position (ready to collect the ball).

Regarding the cosmetics - should you opt to replace the green baize, I suggest you try to source some suitable fabric from an upholsterer of antique furniture. I think it's vital to get something suitably old and distressed to avoid killing the game's character.
willborl

Post by willborl »

Hi and thanks PM for the speedy response.

Thanks for all the info. How hard do you think it would be to make a pump for it? Doesn't look too complicated.
I'm not sure if I'm getting it wrong, but the arm that collects the ball doesn't move past the point shown in the picture, unless I push the lever down that the ball would normally press down when you win. This then releases it so it can go all the way down to the bottom. :-?
I will definitely try to find some fabric in keeping with the whole aesthetic of the machine, thanks for the advice :D
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Looking at that missing pump, i was wondering whether a baromat pump would be sufficient. Inside mine there are 2 pumps and looking at the mech of the clown machine, they are very similar looking in size. Just a thought in case somebody had an old baromat mech kicking about that they could sort you out with.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

WillBorl wrote:How hard do you think it would be to make a pump for it? Doesn't look too complicated.
Given an original to copy, a competent model engineer could do it - maybe an incompetent one!
WillBorl wrote:I'm not sure if I'm getting it wrong, but the arm that collects the ball doesn't move past the point shown in the picture, unless I push the lever down that the ball would normally press down when you win. This then releases it so it can go all the way down to the bottom. :-?
It shouldn't block the arm from its descent - perhaps a missing spring is allowing the lever to obstruct it?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

PennyMachines wrote:Given an original to copy, a competent model engineer could do it - maybe an incompetent one!
Hi :D
I don't know if it helps but I have found some photos of what the pump (gas spring) should look like, and as Mr PennyMachines says it should be a simple job to construct one, but don't forget the small bleed hole at the bottom end that lets the air in & out or the ball arm will not move... Regards Stuart. :tarah:
Attachments
clown pump.jpg
clown pump.jpg (22.93 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
clown pump1.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Also see page 2 of this thread for more info and a view inside the air valve: Bajazzo Clown
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I bet it wouldn't be difficult to modify an old brass garden sprayer, as the pump mechanism is there, just need to shorten the shaft and tube, would of thought it not too great an issue with a bit of soldering. Very cheap as well.... There are many different sizes available...
Garden sprayer
JC

Post by JC »

Before anyone gets too excited about home-made pumps, I think it may not be quite so easy as some might expect. Even if you can get roughly the right length cylinder, with appropriate anchors at the base of the cylinder and top of the piston rod, you could still find problems with (or lack of) the bleed valve, which needs to be adjustable. The pump should only act as a damper, and as such needs to be fairly fast acting, otherwise at the end of a game, if another penny is played before the pump has returned the ball-lift arm to its normal position, the ball will just drop out into the bottom of the machine.
At the risk of upsetting the purists, if the machine is to be used for home use only, you don't actually need the pump - just don't let the ball-lift arm crash to the bottom after feeding the ball.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Agreed, must not get too excited about pumps - home-made or otherwise :)
but the ball won't drop out when the arm is raised, unless the retracting gate which prevents this is missing. I take your point that the bleed valve is the tricky part, but a steam model engineer shouldn't have too much trouble with it.
willborl

Post by willborl »

Hi all :D
Thanks for all the replies and info.
I have got it working as far as when you put a coin in the ball is released and the arm can now pick it up and put it into play.
Not 100% sure on the payout yet, not sure if any springs or levers are missing.
I think I will just leave the pump for now. I might have a go at trying to make one or modify something a bit later on when I have more time and patience.
As you can see from the picture, I have removed the sign which read, "Juggler's skill" and can clearly see the outline of the old sign. It looks like there were two parts to the sign. Does anybody have a picture of what the original sign looks like or even better a scan? That would be a great help.
Also I've never had to replace the glass of a machine. This might be a bit of a stupid question but how do you measure it correctly. Do you add 1cm or 2cm to the width and height of the "window" that the glass covers?
Lastly the mech is missing the magnet on the coin chute, is this important??

Thanks 8)
Attachments
P5170002.JPG
JC

Post by JC »

Apologies to Pennymachines for talking complete b****cks again :oops: , although in fairness, the gate or shutter seems to be missing from Willborl's machine, so that seems to require more urgent attention than the pump (and is far easier).
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

WillBorl wrote: Does anybody have a picture of what the orginal sign looks like or even better a scan? That would be a great help.
Hi Willborl :D , I am not sure if this is what you need :!?!: but most of the clowns I have seen have a sign with wording along the lines of this one, but there may be others, I hope it helps. :tarah:
Attachments
New Image.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

JC wrote:Apologies to Pennymachines for talking complete b****cks again :oops:
You know I love it when you talk dirty, Jerry.