Improved Pickwick variants

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
polaris

Re: Cresset Pickwick

Post by polaris »

Thanks for the picture daveslot. I'm now thinking the same as Mr PM as to why it was altered. Looks to have been done some time ago and doesn't affect the appearance, so still happy enough with it. I arranged a courier today, so hopefully it will be here early next week.
polaris

Post by polaris »

The machine finally arrived today and is in pretty good shape. Also, surprisingly in full working order, even though the auction description stated otherwise. I've not had a chance to look it over fully so most likely I will have a few more questions. It seems quite mean that you only get one go for a penny given that it is almost impossible to win. Should there be more than one ball?
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

There should be two.
polaris

Post by polaris »

I had this apart at the weekend and all is in pretty good order. Plays fine. I need to source another ball, if anyone can suggest an alternative. It has, like I initially thought, been cut away to accommodate the coin mechanism. I would be interested to see what it should look like. I think maybe the large magnet on the side has been added. Also, it has what looks like part of a pump at the top of the door inside. I can't see what it would have done. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
pik4a.jpg
pik3a.jpg
pik2a.jpg
pik1a.jpg
polaris

Post by polaris »

I have managed to source a replacement ball should anyone be in the same situation. The answer was staring me in the face - I found an old clay marble from a solitaire set I put together some time ago. These are readily available and come in varying weights and sizes - works perfect and looks authentic.
Attachments
pik6a.jpg
pik5a.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

!THUMBS! Nice one mate, you will never win on that solitaire game now though :)
polaris

Post by polaris »

Haha luckily had couple left over Keith.
frayle

1912 Improved Pickwick

Post by frayle »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Would anyone know how it is possible to refill the copper tube of tokens on a c.1912 Improved Pickwick ball catcher please? It seems sealed all the way through, and no access at the top as it is tight against the plinth?
Thanks in anticipation.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: 1912 Improved Pickwick

Post by pennymachines »

OK, so I don't have one of these to hand but consulting JP's Pickwick Poltergeist article, he says:
j t peterson wrote:...the Pickwick playfield was constructed so that it could be removed quickly and another perhaps more appealing (newer) playfield could be swapped in. Shown left, is the playfield removed. There is one wing-nut on the bottom holding the game-field in place. An exchange of playfields would take less than one minute.
I suspect that's your answer - undo the wing nut and I think you'll find you can drop the tokens down a hole at the top.
Attachments
Pickwick-mech.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Thanks, Mr. PM. You saved me the time and effort of digging my machine out of storage.

J Peterson
Storage rat in America
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

john t peterson wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:01 pm You saved me the time and effort of digging my machine out of storage.
Because god forbid your collection should see the light of day this decade!? :shock: SkEpTiCaL !!UHOH!! !OMFG! :!?!: !PUZZLED! :cry:
frayle

Post by frayle »

Many thanks for the clarification. I'll have a look at mine and see if the 'mechanism' can easily be separated from the case.
I suspect not that easily as there is a cast strut across the centre of the works which is screwed to the inside of one of the rear 'planks'.
As such would need to remove that first to undo the screw.
I believe there were many (14+) variations of the Pickwick/Cressett design and all are bound to be slightly different with individual idiosyncrasies?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

frayle wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:52 pm I believe there were many (14+) variations of the Pickwick/Cressett design and all are bound to be slightly different with individual idiosyncrasies?
I seem to remember a lot I've seen were later revamps of original Pickwick machines, pretty sure the Cresset a friend had was such. I honestly can't remember how I refilled the tokens on my Pickwick but there certainly was a way it came apart into separate pieces by loosening some screws or bolts.
atticbrowser

Look what I found

Post by atticbrowser »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I brought this Pickwick home today. It appears to be complete and working apart from only having one ball. (I set up the jokes, you supply the punchlines).
More when I’ve examined it more carefully.
Attachments
B4537C75-5B26-48FA-8B37-C7268071DBBFa.jpg
gameswat

Re: Look what I found

Post by gameswat »

Nice find Attic, classic elegant machines these Pickwick's. And seems to be in nice unmolested original cond. When I got mine the previous owner had already had a go at "restoring", sadly he didn't know what he was doing at the time and hacked the wood with an 80 grit rotary sander!! Then stripped off the old nickel and highly polished the brass and lacquered, then to finish threw away the aged cloth to replace with brand new! The wood was so badly scoured that he had to almost black stain the whole thing to hide the marks. Underneath was the most stunning tiger striped oak I've ever had to this day. When he saw the finished cabinet a week later he nearly fell over at the transformation and realising how badly he'd treated it 20 years earlier.
atticbrowser

Post by atticbrowser »

Thank you gameswat. Yes it does appear to be complete, unmolested and original. I have been thinking carefully about cosmetic restoration and for the time being I’ll limit it to a gentle wipe with a soft cloth. The key is missing of course so currently the innards are only accessible from the back. I’ve taken a few photos and if anyone has a similar model I’d appreciate photos of the correct mechanical configuration. Also if anyone thinks something is missing I’d like to hear.
Attachments
8FBABF10-1B2E-4760-A3A5-957515958F03a.jpg
C3DB6043-7BBC-47B0-8773-BFCF7E09239Ea.jpg
ED98FA3E-FC96-4BA4-9A40-52FAC409F4F9a.jpg
1CEE7626-F8FB-4949-B412-B4F59AC67A15a.jpg
541C55B9-0132-4EF5-8993-AD36146B6C93a.jpg
36BC83AB-A25C-4C24-9133-5AA931B39428a.jpg
E5D154CC-160F-4AED-A96A-FF10844BDAE9a.jpg
9B3E5C78-A244-4949-A45D-3605C49DCB4Ba.jpg
atticbrowser

Post by atticbrowser »

I’ve decided to sell this Pickwick rather than restoring it myself. I’ve just brought home a classic pinball machine that will take up all my efforts for the summer. What should I ask for it? Any advice gratefully received.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You should search the Arena, as Pennymachine takes the time to capture as many results from sales.... These machines seem to go for between £700 to £750 less commission. One did sell at £1600 at and auction 3 years ago, but wild sales will always happen....
atticbrowser

Post by atticbrowser »

Thank you treefrog.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Sadly these wonderful early machines seem to have fallen out of favour in recent times, and are not so highly regarded as they should be. This is due in part to people collecting what they remember from their childhood, and has been discussed before. You really need two people who are after one!