Pennies Only labels

Graphics, flyers, instructions and other materials.
arrgee

Pennies Only labels

Post by arrgee »

Taken from an original label, dims in mm.
This original label was printed, not a Traffolyte.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bryansshort

Re: Pennies Only label

Post by bryansshort »

That's great thanks and I am sure will be of much help to many members. Do you know what machine maker produced this? My Oliver Whales label has rounded ends.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd be surprised if a machine maker did manufacture these.
They'd seem to be the sort of thing likely to be bought in as needed.
Most manufacturers of furniture and household appliances proudly stuck printed and embossed labels on their products. Even the retailers would shove another one next to the one placed by the manufacturer.

There would have been a lot of small companies around to supply such labels.
During World War Twice the clockwork bomb release switchgear fitted to British Bombers were mass made in the USA and they too arrived with a small label proudly stating the name of the company which made them.

Aircrew involved in the bombing of the German homeland near the end complained to their squadron commanders that they didn't feel comfortable dropping high explosives on civilians by using a mechanism labelled "Mills Novelty Company"
:woops:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Bryansshort wrote:Do you know what machine maker produced this
As BP said, probably not produced by a machine maker but bought in. I have seen many variations in shape. This one is on a 1930s Saxony Allwin, originally a Reserve Allwin and I would think the label is fairly old as well, made from an early plastic compound.
bryansshort

Post by bryansshort »

Screen_Shot_2017-03-07_at_14_20_03.jpg

This is the label I'm looking for, I made the mistake of trying to remove wood stain from the original with paint stripper, BAD MOVE!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here you go - traffolyte and printed 1D labels. Both are exactly 2" wide.
gameswat

Re: Pennies Only labels

Post by gameswat »

Bryans and PM I think you're mistaking the use of Traffolyte which is differing coloured layers of phelonic plastic or the like, that when machined shows through the underlying colour. The Pennies Only labels shown here with rounded ends are just stamped and inked at the same time or possibly painted black after stamping. I've only ever had maybe two or three of the Traffoyte labels on any of my machines, and they were always added later so I presumed they came into greater use in the 60's.

Just had a look through my box of badges and labels etc as thought I had a spare laying around but must have used it years ago. The Traffolytes are easy to spot as they're engraved, so the letters corners are always rounded with no sharp edges or ends, plus the edges will show both colours.

This is from the website of a manufacturer:
" Traffolyte is a common name for 2 ply plastic designed specifically for engraving. By removing the top ply/layer to reveal a contrasting colour, cost effective, durable and fit for purpose engraved labels and signs can be easily and economically created. Traffolyte was originally manufactured in England in the 1930’s. "
Last edited by gameswat on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

OK, thanks for that. As I said, I never heard of the stuff until bryansshort mentioned it. I guess the laminate should be obvious from the edges.
bryansshort

Post by bryansshort »

Thanks for that definitive info Gameswat. I had just assumed the labels were Traffolyte. Thanks for the photos, I'm in with a chance now if I can print off a patten of the right dimensions. Do you have more dimensions you can post please, width, radius of the rounded ends, distance of the black border from the edge and material thickness? I'd be much obliged.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Here is another old label, however the print has come off but the image of the 'PENNIES ONLY' is still just visible, owing to the print masking the plastic from the 'darkening' effects of daylight. This label is also 2" wide.
Interestingly the letters are of a serifed font.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

bryansshort wrote: I'm in with a chance now if I can print off a patten of the right dimensions. Do you have more dimensions you can post please, width, radius of the rounded ends, distance of the black border from the edge and material thickness? I'd be much obliged.
You could just measure the space of two nail holes on your machine if you threw the old damaged label away, then size the art above to suit and print out.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

If you scale the image so that the width from end to end is exactly 2" you will have all the other dimensions. The material thickness of the first label I posted is about 1mm. I originally marked the pinholes on the image but removed them, because you don't want to be making new holes in your cabinet. As Gameswat says, you puncture the label to the existing cabinet holes.
amorphous14

Post by amorphous14 »

Where would you get these made now?

cheers
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Signomatic let you design and order them online.