Antique slot machine criminal

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
pennymachines
Site Admin

Antique slot machine criminal

Post by pennymachines »

NEWSFLASH!

In the CENTRAL CRIMINAL COURT
before the Lord Mayor of the City of London, Justices of His Majesty's High Court, Judges of the Central Criminal Court, Sheriffs, under-Sheriffs, Aldermen, etc.
February 10th, 1902:

VERNON RAWKINS (18) has pleaded guilty to stealing two keys, the property of the Automatic Skill Machine Company; also to obtaining an automatic machine by false pretences from Eliza Huxtable, with intent to defraud; also to forging and uttering a request for the delivery of an automatic machine. A former conviction was proved against him.
He has been sentenced to six months' hard labour.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.j ... 020210.xml
john t peterson

Re: Antique slot machine criminal

Post by john t peterson »

Would someone mind contacting Mr. Rawkins on my behalf? I just took possession of the "Sports" game pictured below and desperately need the key.

Thanks.

J Peterson
Keyless (and some would say clueless) in America
Attachments
Sport1.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Fas-key-nating. Googling Vernon Rawlings merely shows the account that Pennymachines found and nothing else.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I got there by searching "Automatic Skill Machine Company" on JP's behalf...
john t peterson

Thank you, Mr. PM.

Now, if someone would please tickle Richard Goddard for me, I'd like to know the size and number of balls appropriate for said "Sports" machine by Automatic Skill Machine Company. I've promised an article for the Arena on this particular game but first need to get the poor baby up and running.

Thanks in advance for the excellent response I know is forthcoming and for which Pennymachines members are only too well known.

J Peterson
American by birth, British by passion
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're welcome John.

Jeremy Clapham
British by Father's passion
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

John T. Peterson wrote:Now, if someone would please tickle Richard Goddard for me, I'd like to know the size and number of balls appropriate for said "Sports" machine by Automatic Skill Machine Company
One relaxing and tickling week away with Mrs beloved and I return to find a dubious, yet innocuous inquisition, in respect to my assiduous observations.

Mr Peterson, Sir, did your Mother never inform you that it is dangerous to allow the esoteric nature of one's balls to be made exoteric, notwithstanding the possibility that perhaps every point on its/their surface may in fact not be equidistant from its/their centre.

Richard Goddard. BMco
(British Malfunctioning communicator)

Edited once to make the syntax more legible
john t peterson

Arrgee,

I'm sure all will agree that your balls are far superior to mine. If you would be so kind, Sir, to count their number residing in your "Sports'" machine, the one with the eleven drain holes on the top level, I shall be forever in your debt.

J Peterson
Balless in America

PS I just received from the owner of my machine one of the original balls so I now know the correct size.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

This site is so educational .......
Esoteric, one of those words I felt at times I wanted to throw into a sentence but was never really sure about.
ex·o·ter·ic   [ek-suh-ter-ik]
adjective
suitable for or communicated to the general public.

However there are so many so few parts of me I feel should be esoteric, I best shut up and not shout up.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

John T. Peterson wrote:If you would be so kind, Sir, to count their number residing in your "Sports'" machine, the one with the eleven drain holes on the top level, I shall be forever in your debt.
John,
Sir, I believe that you have been misinformed for alas I do not possess such a machine and therefore, regrettably, not in a position to elucidate further in respect to the number of balls that should be present. My humbly ashamed apologies.
I remain Sir,
Your Obedient, yet watchfully tenacious, Servant.

Richard Goddard. MBco
(Bagatelle Malformation co-ordinator)
john t peterson

Dear Richard,

I fear you must watch me more closely to see that I don't injure myself on these forays into the outside world. It's clear that I need more adult supervision. Is it possible that PM's Nursey travels internationally?

Looking at the original postings regarding the Sports machines by Automatic Skill Machines Co, I now see that there are TWO Richard Goddards and that the OTHER Richard Goddard is the one who posted the pictures that got me started on my errant hounding of you. My apologies. I find it a bit strange that Mother would name both of you Richard but then we have the example here in the states with George Foreman and his five sons, all named "George Foreman."

Can't get too much of a good thing.

Kindest regards,

John Peterson
The Other One
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Fear not John, we have a number of 'Richard Goddard' over here in England (and who knows how many en-route through France to Dunkirk........ Father never talked much about that part of his life, but I understand he was in a hurry) hope you manage to get the machine sorted.

Keep making us smile John, we don't have much to make us smile over here at the moment.

Richard

ps off topic - but did you keep the red Payramid you purchased a few years ago, .............red?
john t peterson

Dear Richard,

Yes, I left the Pyramid looking like an escapee from the local fire house. Funny you should mention that particular game. I am not making this up: I was dreaming about that game lat night! Maybe the two of us are "channeling?" (Whatever that means.)

I'm at the stage of my collecting career that I find more joy in machines that have been altered somewhere in their dubious past. That's not to say that I don't appreciate an original example; I do. It's just that the ones that have been "ridden hard and put away wet" to use the western vernacular call to me more strongly than their more pristine brothers and sisters. As Mr. PM once said, "games that look like they've worked for a living." Maybe it's just a reflection of myself. A quick glance in the mirror raises response titling more toward "roadkill" than "romance." You get the picture.

J Peterson
Living large in a small way on the American roadway of life