Your thoughts on a non slot subject please

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Your thoughts on a non slot subject please

Post by badpenny »

badpenny wrote: They are electric powered bicycles with pedal assistance and as such appear to be within the law.
I said the above because over the years we have seen The UK Market flooded with Far East imported electronics that appear to be legal in so much as what the paperwork says.
However with all sorts of hoverboards etc bursting into flames one must doubt sufficiently in order to look deeper.

If you take the Wattage claimed in the blurb you're looking at approximately .33 of a HP (mechanical) hardly enough to pull the skin of a rice pudding.
A Honda moped which weighs much more and is restricted to 30 mph is not designed to accommodate a passenger and generates over 3 HP, clearly 10 times as much.

It seems these electric ones are capable of producing a fair bit more than 250 W (as hinted at in the blurb) which is legal outside of Europe. However over here the limit is set at around 249W so to get round that the advert/paperwork tends to be altered.

An attempt to restrict the power output is used by some manufacturers in the form of a solid state limiter. The downside of that is riders tend to use the throttle from minimum to maximum all of the time. This shortens the life of the controller quite quickly and they burn out.

OK I guess if you're offering an after market service and have the electronic knowledge to do repairs.
However anyone hoping to merely supply or even operate as a Drop Shipper could I think find themselves liable for rectifying the shortcomings generated by the manufacturer in order to hoodwink our under resourced frontier authorities.

Just saying !THUMBS!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

have you thought about shipping Trabants back from Russia? !!IDEA!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

strange as you might think I did not buy these on the strength of some advert (the blurb I show was written by me) I know the motor maker and its rating, the battery is warranted for 2 years,the controller for two years and the motor for two years, these are the same as the 250,000 the maker has sold in China and the 10,000 already sold to Turkey this year, Although Im the only one importing this 2016 model there are others who have been trying to sell (in the wrong way) like bikes for some time.
you need to contact the maker BP seems you know more than they do, looks like they need to recall the 500,000 successful bikes they have sold in the last 3 years!!

True I was looking for all feedback but didnt expect the automatic gainsaying of anything good in a very successful product,although in retrospect I should have expected it

end of thread
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Fair enough, only pointing out the need for due diligence.
So long as you're satisfied surely that's all that matters.

I guess you've heard all of the "I'm just asking for some feed back,any ideas and comments,good or bad are welcome. thanks, Paul...." that you need.

Believe it or not I wish you every success. :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

no problems BP,Im not put out at all,a little surprised thats all :lol:

viet31.jpg

I am hopeful they will have SOME power :D (yes I do know it not the same type of bike)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Now that one's a good idea, with an almost decent fuel tank as well. :didact:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Nice boost for my project. Gov have announced grants of up to 30% towards the cost of EAPC bikes :cool:
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Good to hear the British taxpayer continues to do it's bit for the economy of poor old China.

Damned shame they can't do the same for the British steel industry. '!'
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

so what your saying is you dont agree with grants that benefit the environment and that would be available to British electric transport products...if we made any !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If I had some fish I'd have fish & chips for dinner if I had some chips. :o
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

coppinpr wrote:so what your saying is you dont agree with grants that benefit the environment and that would be available to British electric transport products...if we made any !PUZZLED!
I don't agree with grants in any form, but least of all when they benefit a foreign economy. Taxpayer subsidies generally cause an artificial market that can only survive with taxpayer subsidies. Have a look at the joke that is the renewable energy (wind turbine) industry in Scotland: it is a mature industry yet survives only because of subsidies from the domestic energy consumers (i.e you and me) who pay an inflated price for their energy to cover that subsidy. The UK government has (finally) declared that to be unfair and is in the process of withdrawing that subsidy. The Scottish government, of course, is whining about the 'damage' this will do to the Scottish renewable energy industry (whereas they should be asking why the industry cannot stand on its own after nearly 2 decades of being subsidised). You want to market something, excellent and good for you. But compete on actual cost terms and without taxpayer subsidy. I also have significant doubts as to the alleged 'benefit' these contraptions have for the environment, but that is like waving a red flag at a crazy green bull (not referring to you, Paul), so I will leave that one.

Purely my personal opinion, of course. I am sure others may have differing views and that is fine, too.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Much of what you say is true, I did not take up this project because there were grants available,in fact I knew nothing about the grant, The grant goes of course to the buyer not me or the factory, the only (and substantial) benefit to me and the maker is the bikes are cheaper to the end user so should increase sales.money wise it makes no difference to me or the maker but should make them easier to sell.

Your view of grants in general is hard to agree with, gov grants of this type are here to stay,and have been around for over 100 years,the gov argument is that part of the taxes we pay should be returned to people in a way that will benefit the country/local council/city as a whole, if you disagree with the places grants are given then thats a reason for not voting for that government,the (democratic(?) model we live under here is built on the fact that we the voters agree that the government can make these kind of decisions without asking us if we vote them into power . All grants of this type might benefit an other country,the very popular grant towards a new roof on a house or business property may well use materials made abroad and be fitted by Polish roofers,in theory the grant money stays in this country as it goes to the end user not the supplier/fitter.

The grants to the Scottish wind power industry were NEVER intended to make the business a runner,if it had worked out then all the better, they were given to keep people in work rather than giving them the money direct as benefits,money that might go into the steel industry would be on the same basis,we all know the british steel industry cant make a profit,China cant sell cheap steel how on earth could we sell expensive steel? Like it or not its the world market that drives the economy nothing else
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

tedious and boring, non related topic !!ESCAPE!!
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

To be fair it is posted in the right area. You don't have to read it...
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Great, i'll tell you all about my ostrich farm then !!>*<!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're just sticking your head in the sand now. :lol:
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

The idea of farming Ostriches does seem quite interesting. I'm all ears.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

wingnut instead of ilovemyjukebox may suit better then?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I too am fascinated by ostrich farming ephemera and ostrich farmer's racing wives.
Attachments
ostrichracers.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I knew someone who bred ostriches for meat.
I asked him what it tasted like, he said he didn't know; he'd never caught one. ;-)