Abandoned Amusement Park

General vintage slot machine related topics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Abandoned Amusement Park

Post by badpenny »

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Abandoned Amusement Park

Post by coin-op »

Those are amazing and sad pictures. I guess the Company has either been paid out by the insurers and is sitting on the land and cash or has written off the loss against its profits. I imagine it will be a long time before there's much chance of the park seeing a new life.
chief

Post by chief »

Bad Penny,
Thanks' to you for your dedicated help to me. Your last address I tried WORKED and I am very indebted to you for your help in being able to see these pictures.

They are incredible to view. I would think some one would sell off the bumper cars and things of value? . Hard to image they will just let everything sit their.

In any case my sincerest Thank You for all you help.

Yes, the photographs were incredible to view and to leave one to wonder how they would just leave it all their ? . Boggles ones mind....
Thanks' again
Chief
Your really a Good Penny & Not a Bad Penny at all.
raj

Post by raj »

had it been over here, our local metal thieves would have had that lot down in a week !PUNISH! ! I had a read at some of the comments in the blog, and anal retention seems to have reached new heights, or should that be lows, '!' regarding the actual photography !!ESCAPE!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

chief wrote:Bad Penny,
Thanks' to you for your dedicated help to me. Your last address I tried WORKED and I am very indebted to you for your help in being able to see these pictures.

They are incredible to view. I would think some one would sell off the bumper cars and things of value? . Hard to image they will just let everything sit their.

In any case my sincerest Thank You for all you help.

Yes, the photographs were incredible to view and to leave one to wonder how they would just leave it all their ? . Boggles ones mind....
Thanks' again
Chief

Your really a Good Penny & Not a Bad Penny at all.
You're welcome buddy, glad we finally got there.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Absolutely amazing photographs .....they are worthy of a book! Amazing graffiti too in parts.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Reminds me of the low budget horror movie Carnival of Souls (1962). Its spooky atmospheric scenes were filmed at Saltair, on the shore of the Great Salt Lake, Utah, three years after the cavernous Pavilion was abandoned. The lake having receded, it lay stranded on a bed of mud, flies and garbage.

john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Question of the day: The great Salt Lake is split into two almost equal halves. From the air (35,000 feet high) the two halves are distinctively different from one another in color. What accounts for this anomaly?

J Peterson
Your American Sky pilot !!PLANE!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In 2007, a Boy Scout digging for crystals uncovered a collection of 7.5-inch vials containing chemicals such as mustard gas, lewisite, chloropicrin, and phosgene.[9][10] The vials were part of World War II era military Chemical Agent Identification Sets.[9] The burial of vials was standard procedure for removing them from service at that time. There was no record of a disposal site at the salt plains. Crystal digging was suspended from April 2007 until April 2009, while the risk of allowing digging again was evaluated. 171 vials and at least a dozen incendiary devices were removed from the location.[9][11] The salt plains were also used as a bombing and strafing range during World War II.[12] There are still remnants of this use left on the plains.[13] The most remarkable aspect of this is that The great Salt Lake appears split into two almost equal halves. From the air (35,000 feet high) the two halves are distinctively different from one another in color. This explains why the question "What accounts for this anomaly?" to be asked on numerous forums worldwide.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Leave it to those pesky Boy Scouts!

When I stopped flying for my commercial airline, those contaminates had not yet been discovered. The answer we gave to passengers for the color differentiation was: "two different types of briny shrimp." No one ever asked me; "How did two different types of shrimp end up yards apart, separated by a thin strip of land?" Now we know. Better living through chemicals.

J Peterson
Astounded American
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Did you get you're Chemical Warfare Badge?
Attachments
crazyboyscout.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Actually the reason is a little more mundane. The Southern Pacific railroad runs across the lake on a causeway that prevents the two halves mixing, and since one side has an industrial salt extraction plant, over a period of many years that side became considerably less salty than the other. In fact, so many millions of tons of salt have been extracted that the crust on the Bonneville Salt Flats is now barely a couple of inches thick, whereas 100 years ago it was well over a foot.

The reason I know this is I was out there in the fall of 1983, a year of unusually heavy rain. High water levels on the salty side washed away a long section of the Southern Pacific causeway, and this was considered to be a life saver for Bonneville because it replenished the salt.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've found some more photos of an abandoned Amusement Park.
I suspect it's Six Flags again, but possibly taken more recently.
abandoned-amusement-parks.jpg

okpo-land-okpo-geoje-do-2010-2.jpg
okpo-land-okpo-geoje-do-2010-2.jpg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 3984 times

urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

make a google search with "pripyat amusement park" !!ESCAPE!!
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Wow ...scary. Brave (or foolish) people for entering and taking the pictures. I wonder how long it will be before it is fit for habitation again?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Wow ...scary. Brave (or foolish) people for entering and taking the pictures. I wonder how long it will be before it is fit for habitation again?
more scary than you know, there is an area close to this where 20,000 cars,trucks and helicopters were parked because they are radio active, they have since been stripped by locals and the parts sold in Moscow as spares (well at least the car will glow in the dark) the locals close to the Chernobyl site regularly fish in the cooling lakes around the reactors, the catfish can be up to 10 feet long ( and I guess,also glow in the dark) so the moral is " dont buy a secondhand car in Moscow and drive to Chernobyl for a fish dinner" !!COOEE!!
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

youngerap

Post by youngerap »

jimmy55 wrote:Wow ...scary. Brave (or foolish) people for entering and taking the pictures. I wonder how long it will be before it is fit for habitation again?
According to Wikipedia (and everyone knows they can trust Wikipedia, eh?) "Ukrainian officials estimate the area will not be safe for human life again for another 20,000 years".

Which is why it makes perfect sense that the place becomes a tourist attraction!
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

youngerap wrote:According to Wikipedia (and everyone knows they can trust Wikipedia, eh?) "Ukrainian officials estimate the area will not be safe for human life again for another 20,000 years".

Which is why it makes perfect sense that the place becomes a tourist attraction!
Suddenly Great Yarmouth out of season sounds so much more inviting! ......mind you theres a tall Russian girl who works in the Golden Nugget who has a certain glow about her ( maybe thats just my imagination .......)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

"Ukrainian officials estimate the area will not be safe for human life again for another 20,000 years"
same as Disney land Paris then :NBG: