A comprehensive history of the video game industry

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

A comprehensive history of the video game industry

Post by pennymachines »

I just stumbled upon this series of articles on a blog called "They Create Worlds". It provides an outline of the history of coin-operated machines which I'm sure others here would enjoy - especially as it's free .:*+*:.
They're written by Alex Smith, a librarian, who has been conducting research for almost a decade in preparation for "a three volume history of the video game industry across all formats (coin, console, computer, mobile, etc.) and all major geographic regions (U.S., U.K., Continental Europe, Japan, Mainland East Asia, etc.)."

Historical Interlude: The History of Coin-Op Part 1, The Rise and Fall of the Penny Arcade

Historical Interlude: The History of Coin-Op Part 2, From Slot Machines to Sportlands

Historical Interlude: The History of Coin-Op Part 3, Pinball

Historical Interlude: The History of Coin-Op Part 4, From Sportlands to Playlands

Historical Interlude: The History of Coin-op Part 5, Consolidation and Stagnation

Historical Interlude: The History of Coin-op Part 6, A Technological Revolution
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: A comprehensive history of the video game industry

Post by badpenny »

Good graciousness!
Well spotted Mr P :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I noticed today that the first printed volume of this work is available. Published by Routledge, the full title is: They Create Worlds: The Story of the People and Companies That Shaped the Video Game Industry, Vol. I: 1971-1982
In hardback, Amazon currently have it for £140.27, and £63.99 in softback - so quite an investment, especially if you want the other two proposed volumes. Alternatively, you could ask your local library to order a copy.

tcw.jpg

No doubt it will be the definitive work on the subject, but I suspect it will not add a great deal to our knowledge of slot machines from the mechanical era, as that's not its focus, with its, "emphasis on the emerging ideas, concepts, and games developed from the commencement of the budding video game art form in the 1950s and 1960s through the first commercial activity in the 1970s and early 1980s". Taylorfrancis.com
Attachments
EKBYOCfWwAAqnXn.jpg large.jpg
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

That's definitely a lockdown haircut.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

.... or a locked up one.