Silver Jubilee - strange payout?

General vintage slot machine related topics.
brianjc

Silver Jubilee - strange payout?

Post by brianjc »

Hi,

Can someone please help me, when i get on the win line the following; Orange - Melon - Orange it pays out x 10 coins? As far as i know all other wins are correct. Not sure if the reel bands are incorrect or is there a simple fix?

I've attached a few images of my Silver Jubilee machine.

Appreciate any help, thanks, Brian.
Attachments
IMG_1445a.jpg
IMG_1446a.jpg
IMG_1449a.jpg
IMG_1448a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Silver Jubilee - strange payout?

Post by treefrog »

You have mystery award on your machine, so probably likely a combination of

orange melon orange
Orange melon melon
Melon orange melon
Melon orange orange

But try as they vary
brianjc

Post by brianjc »

Thanks for your replay, often thought what the 'mystery pay out' on the award card was!

One other question if you don't mind, Reels 1 & 3 have lemons but reel 2 does not, is this for the mystery prize feature?

Thanks, Brian.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I cannot comment specifically on your machine, but I have seen the orange melon combo used and others lemons used for mystery with other fruits. As I am sure your aware, lemons are normally on black no pay stops of nth reel disc. Exceptions are where they are used for mystery or actual payouts like Mills did with cherry’s. If unsure do a full reel by reel check on your payouts, this will confirm the mystery options.

Nice looking earlier machine with matching numbers, even the coin inspection window, looks like it has not been messed with
brianjc

Post by brianjc »

Again thanks, I guess the coin inspection function was a simplified version to a machine with an escalator?

My next plan is to get it re chromed and painted!

P.S someone on the forum suggested removing the payout tray for hidden coins, lo and behold, there was a approx 100 6d coins from 1940 onward!
brigham

Post by brigham »

Were they British 'tanners' or Australian?
I wouldn't expect lemons on the middle reel, otherwise people might expect a payout from three lemons, which would be unheard-of.
(Machines during the electro-mechanical age began to feature this aberration!)
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I wonder if that F/O stamped before the serial is for "Foreign Order"? As don't believe it was for Aussie usage as we didn't allow coin jackpots, unless for illegal placement of course!
brianjc

Post by brianjc »

Nice find of 6p coins!
Attachments
IMG_1444a.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

brianjc wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:08 am Nice find of 6p coins!
Sixpences, tanners, sixpenny pieces or sixpenny bits.
There is not, nor ever has been, a 6p coin.
brianjc

Post by brianjc »

Opps!
brigham

Post by brigham »

We in the slot-machine fancy are the guardians of British culture, as far as our traditional money is concerned.
The stamp-collectors believe that they fulfil that role; they do not.
I recently heard one pronounce "Three Ha'pence" as "One and a Half Old Pee".
I kid you not!
brianjc

Post by brianjc »

Brilliant!
brianjc

Re: Silver Jubilee - Restoration....

Post by brianjc »

Hi Guys,

Ok, I’m going to finally plunge into restoring this bandit, love it bits!

To date I’ve left the mech alone but only maintained it with just the odd oiling using 3 in 1 and sewing machine oil to the clock mechanism, plus adjusting the double jackpot mechanism to fill up both columns (fascinating!).

The mech I believe really needs to be stripped down as it still has old thick black grease but will leave it for now.

The main restoration will be on the front door aesthetics and cash box access door, I’ve ordered a bench polishing wheel kit on eBay as well as paint stripper, also, QUIXX Xerapol Acrylic Plastic Polish for the awards, jackpot and reel apertures.

I may try and polish out the aluminium front door or spay it keeping it fire engine red? Pictures from start to finish will be uploaded in the next week or so.

I spoke to Henry Powell a while back, lovely guy, and asked to have the machine converted from 6d to 20p coins which will cost around £90, which sounds appealing.

Any tips and tricks please let me know.

Ta, Brian.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Does not seem unreasonable from Henry for the conversion as it involves a number of parts including Tub, slides, posts, coin acceptor etc..I suspect a shilling machine is closer to 20p and some parts could be reused like coin tube.

I have tried polishing myself with limited success and bought a decent bench grinder motor, huge mop and polish kit....almost lost my arm, made a mess of the walls and put it all away I frustration . After two years went back to the various mops and polishes/soaps and found they had all gone hard.....so have stuck to elbow grease, fine wire wool and metal polish :cool:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I'd suggest, if paint is original, to think again before stripping any paint off. Option would be to do best job possible, polishing paintwork & brightwork. Then you'll have actually seen the bandit in its best possible state, without it being stripped and repainted. If at that point, you still want to repaint it, then you can still repaint. It would be more work, but at least you have seen what it could have looked like before making the decision.

Just a suggestion
brianjc

Post by brianjc »

Thanks guys,

I'll sent you some pics in a mo. The paint needs in my view needs stripping, as to the the aluminium, polishing I think just needs good brute force!
brianjc

Post by brianjc »

Pictures as promised.
Attachments
IMG_1455a.jpg
IMG_1454a.jpg
IMG_1453a.jpg
IMG_1452a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Here's mine.

IMG_3139editeda.jpg

My Inspection label is signed by Kevin Nutt (one of the sons in Nutt, Muddle & Sons) He was relinquished to the quality department after his Father described him as "Couldn't sell a Turkey on Thanksgiving Day"

IMG_3083-editeda.jpg

The paint on mine was in an atrocious state, so I stripped it back with the view to polishing it.
By the time I got all of the paint off I realised why you never see them burnished. The casting was a mixture of different coloured metals. Further investigation suggested the darker patches were more lead based than anything. They obviously came out of the moulds with the surface of a ploughed field. The major irregularities being blobbed with solder or similar, mere gouges and pock marks filled with a blob of paint.

Still not so bad as a Sega casting I once took back to metal, that had some sort of Industrial Filler holding it together. At least The Jub has metal under the paint.
When it comes to the mech, stripping it down just to clean it could be risky. You don't need to go that far. Stripping it down because of a significant issue or even because you want to find out everything that makes it work is cool. However I bet there's very few amongst us who can honestly deny having bought a working machine only to mend it until we broke it.

BP !!COOEE!!
brianjc

Post by brianjc »

Thanks, yours looks fantastic. Signed by Mr Nutt Jr surely is history even though he was a knob!

Prefer red as the reel unit strip edges are red, I assume original?

And, you have the same coin inspection window! are these rare?

Also, some idiot decided to remove one of the diamond fruit emblems from the door, been trying to find one. Henry Powell said he would try and help but probably too busy!
brigham

Re: Silver Jubilee - Restoration....

Post by brigham »

brianjc wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:42 pm
I spoke to Henry Powell a while back, lovely guy, and asked to have the machine converted from 6d to 20p coins which will cost around £90, which sounds appealing.

It sounds APPALLING!

You have a collector's item here; in my opinion it needs conserving, not modernising.

It is on the original denomination, even confirmed by the delivery label. There cannot be many as good as this still in existence.