50 years today

General vintage slot machine related topics.
jimmycowman

50 years today

Post by jimmycowman »

Good bye old penny....
Attachments
Screenshot_20210215-102512.jpg
jimmycowman

Re: 50 years today

Post by jimmycowman »

clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Can vaguely remember emptying old pennies out out my piggy bank, for my mum to change at the post office!
My Question is, what prompted this change of coinage, we didn't enter the common market until 1973?
brigham

Post by brigham »

Joining the Common Market was just the continuation of an undercover movement to denigrate Britain and British culture, which had begun in the 1950s.
Remember the Worboys Report on British road signs? The press summed it up the very next day after publication: "Britain's new Continental Road Signs".
Then there was the ridiculous 'new electrical flex colours' farce. Let's make the wire that kills you brown, instead of red.
The ever repeated buzz-phrase was 'into line with Europe'. The very thing that my father's generation had so recently fought against!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Of all the changes people grumble about this one made so much sense. We really would have been in the dark ages if we had stuck with a non decimal system for payment and of course this had nothing to do with Europe and had been considered many times over the decades. Also all other places like Australia, South Africa etc who were stuck in the old system had already changed before us... Are there any countries in the world not using decimal? !PUZZLED!

Also you wouldn’t have been able to have a moan about post decimal or pre decimal machines as they would have continued to this day and we would be overloaded with old machines. :HaHa:

So cheers to decimalisation !!CHEERS!!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Some call it "evolution," others "evilution." One of the practical effects from my perspective was massive exodus of pre-decimal coin operated games to the United States. That change coupled with the legalization of slot machines supercharged my collection. So, a tip of the hat to "progress."

J Peterson
Selectively progressive in USA
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

brigham wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am Then there was the ridiculous 'new electrical flex colours' farce.
No, this wasn't done just for the sake of it. A form of colour blindness, known as Daltonism, is common in many people. It makes distinguishing red and green difficult and the change to stripey green and brown was done to overcome this (potentially lethal) problem.
brigham

Post by brigham »

The change of red and black was not guided by Daltonism.
A stripe to the Earth wire alone would have eliminated any such confusion.
The other changes were down to Internationalism- the Germans for instance using Red for Earth!
Or, as the same old bleat goes, Bringing Britain "into line with Europe".
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Fifty years ago today a gormless looking 17 year old on the bus to work in Coventry was listening to the moaning and wittering going on around him.
In a lapse of anything vitriolic to say one old girl piped up ...
"Why didn't they just wait for all the old people to die before bringing this in?"

It was at this point that our 17 year old realised it's a good idea to control your facial expressions and keep your opinions to yourself when you're out numbered. Having roared with laughter and guffawed mercilessly, he decided it was safer to get off at the next stop and walk into work.

BP :NBG:
brigham

Post by brigham »

It's good to be back on topic.
Sorry for rambling... it's a bad habit of mine.
Does anyone know if the massive inflation in the 'seventies was CAUSED by decimalisation, or or whether decimalisation was an excuse to devalue the pound via inflation?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

1971 was not the first attempt at decimalisation in Britain. Ignoring the introduction in 1968 of the 5p and 10p coin, a decimal coin was first minted and circulated in 1849 with the introduction of the florin or 'two-bob' coin of which there were 10 to the £. The coin continued to be minted up to 1970. Obviously the Victorian government of the day thought decimalisation too radical and decided to put any further decimal coinage experiment on hold until weaker resistance prevailed.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Decimalisation certainly greatly contributed to inflation, largely because of the trick of continuing to use the Penny as a unit of currency. In the old pound there were 240 pennies to the pound but with decimalisation the powers that be changed this to a handy 100 new pence. So immediately 1new penny was the equivalent of 2.4 old ones and what was originally sold for the old sixpence now "only" cost 2 and a half new pence (they did experiment with new half pennies for a while but most of those ended up in the gutter). So by putting the sixpenny item up to 5 new pence it sounded cheaper than the old sixpence but was in reality twice the price, being the equivalent of the old shilling! (if my maths is right!). !PUZZLED!
Having said that though, I must admit pre-decimal money was, looking back, nightmarishly complicated compared to decimal. :!?!:
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

I can't really remember the change over but can remember using the sixpence at two and a half pence up until 1980.
brigham

Post by brigham »

When I was a kid, money went up in twelves and twenties, and everyone could count money.
Now, money goes up in tens and hundreds, and everyone needs a calculator.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I worked in a business that dealt with the public and cash all day every day and I had been working for 6 years when the change came.(excuse the pun) Two things stick out in my mind. part of my job was to go to the bank, pretty much every day, and get change, usually, 5 bags of 1d coins were part of every trip, I had decided to collect 1d coins from as many dates as possible in as good a condition as possible some years earlier and I would sort through every bag of pennies exchanging ones I didn't have and better quality ones for ones I didn't need. that all ended 50 years ago today, I still have the collection of 1d coins.

The other thing I remember was getting that first day's change in NP, this included 5 bags of half new pence coins. We assumed we would need that many because that was how many 1d coins we had been using. Years later when the half p was removed from circulation I threw away 3 of those original bags of coins..they were never needed!

The post above about the original attempt at decimalization is only partly correct, the florin was not the government's idea it was an early idea of Price Albert. The government didn't like what they saw as him interfering and worked hard to block any further moves in that direction. But the prince had the last laugh ,the "2 bob bit" or "florin" survived in circulation right up till 1990, 19 years after decimalization
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

We talk about coinage but that was only one aspect of decimalisation, the other was weight and measures. When I started work in the 1960s we had inches, feet and yards and when working in my first architects office as a junior, I well remember measuring a field for a housing development in chains! we also used an imperial tape for short measurements but the chain was the 'de facto' piece of equipment for long measurements, not a chain in the normal sense but a series of long links of precise measurement (see pic).

As with the old currency, I liked our heritage of feet and inches, pounds and ounces, but I have to say that moving over to metric in architecture was a godsend, having multiples of 12 inches to one foot and 3 feet to one yard could be a nightmare whereas working to base 10 in metric was simplicity itself.

Interestingly, we still have remnants of our historical past with us today, in horse racing the guinea (£1-10 shillings) is still used as too is the furlong which is precisely 10 chains and of course we still refer to miles for linear measurement of distance - long may this reign!
Attachments
chain.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

we still have remnants of our historical past with us today, in horse racing the guinea (£1-10 shillings) is still used as too is the furlong which is precisely 10 chains
you forgot the most important one of all..a cricket pitch is 1 chain long.
(a guinea is £1-1 shilling (21 shillings) not £1.10 shillings (30 shillings) all horses sold at auction are still sold in guineas, in theory, the seller only receives £1 for every guinea the horse sells for, the other 5p is the auctioneer's commission
Last edited by coppinpr on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
brigham

Post by brigham »

The guinea is 21/-, or 105 new pence, not thirty bob.
On the rare occasions I bet on horses, I always wager a whole number of guineas.
Same when I sponsor people for charity events.
Creeping metrication was not part of decimalisation. It was a Common Market issue, and involved the indoctrination of our children.
We had to ASK our masters in Brussels if we could keep our own measurements. They let us keep yards and miles for road distances, and pints and gallons, but just for beer, cider and milk. A pound of sausages is now called "four hundred and fifty-four gram(me)s", a great improvement, I don't think.
Are you aware that first generation motorways were built to accommodate either-side running?
I don't know how we survived as a nation. Maybe there IS a God.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

the measurement I miss most of all is, without doubt, the gallon. I still want to know how much a gallon of petrol is and how many miles a car does to a gallon, and not a US gallon either...an imperial one !!! /\UK/\
brigham

Post by brigham »

The motor manufacturers quote consumption on miles per gallon.
At self-service petrol stations I used to pause at 4.54 litres, to see the gallon price.
I gave up when it got to six quid. I don't enjoy feeling sick.