Hi from a Leicestershire novice.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
waynezbitz1

Hi from a Leicestershire novice.

Post by waynezbitz1 »

Hi all new here and a little out of my depth so please go gentle.
Here's my story of why I'm here.
I've had the job recently of clearing out a vending machine factory. Mainly all retro mechanical machine that vended condoms and tampons. Also amongst it was several cigarette machines too.

Now here is the sad bit. A few weeks ago before starting the clearance I put feelers out on various facebook groups and other internet avenues to see if there was anybody interested in any parts machines etc. and didn't get any responses. Therefore I've scrapped nearly 10 tonnes of mainly condom machines.
I've kept any complete machines and also kept all the cigarette units as I know they can be collectable.

I do have a fascination for many things mechanical and do like to tinker and play with bits in my workshop so I'm here really to see if there is any interest in items I will have for sale in the near future and also any history information.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Hi from a Leicestershire novice.

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Wayne - welcome to the website.

As you say, there is collector interest in cigarette vendors, but for most of us here it's limited to those of the pre-decimal age, particularly 1930s and earlier.

If you wish to advertise them here please place them in the Market (trading is not permitted in the Forum).
brigham

Post by brigham »

Hello Wayne,
A lot of 'blob' machines were rebuilds of earlier vendors for on-street sales of chewing-gum and suchlike. These are always popular for re-conversion. You can usually spot them by virtue of being all-mechanical.
Some will have had 'Free Packet every Fourth Turn' blanked-off!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

By blanking off the 'Free Packet every Fourth Turn' they stopped you from being one jump ahead of your mates.

BP !!HIDING!!
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Years ago I bought a packet of 10 condoms, still got 9 left.
I lost one.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Hi Wayne,
Fascinating story about the condom machines.
No one wants these machines in pubs any more, save for a few big chains who have the Autonumis multi venders that do the blue pills and gel and the like. Lots of buttons to push that have pulsing LED lights behind them!!
As for the mechanical single coin mech machines that you "twist and turn" the handle, well we must still have a couple of 100 just rusting away on pub walls. I got out the business in 2006 as people started going to drug and alcohol treatment centres and getting condoms for free by the carrier bag full. The guy who bought it sadly passed away a couple of years ago.
Don't know why I telling you all this, thought it might be of interest???/ Anyway, do you have more details of the 10 tonnes you scrapped?
A picture would be great!!

Nigel
brigham

Post by brigham »

A few pictures of the machines you still have would be of interest...
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

there you go
Attachments
044.jpg
079.jpg
DSC00319.JPG
DSC00320.JPG