Shipping costs from the U.K. to the U.S.A.

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
scottie

Shipping costs from the U.K. to the U.S.A.

Post by scottie »

Hello,
I'm sure someone here has shipped an allwin from the U.K. to the U.S.A.
My question is, how many pounds did it cost?
Thanks,
scottie.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Shipping costs from the U.K. to the U.S.A.

Post by badpenny »

The only time I ever shipped an allwin was 15 miles up the road (the buyer ignored my statement of "collection only", insisting t'will be areet youth!)

I packaged it up cocooned tightly in polystyrene and surrounded with air cushions. It was strapped to a small wooden pallet and covered in a tough waterproof tarpaulin.

Suitably labeled "This Way Up Thank You" & "Please Do Not Stack Anything On Top" it arrived at the other end in less than 24 hours resembling a Do-it -Yourself bonfire kit.
I can only assume they'd driven a fork lift truck backwards and forwards over it for an hour or so.

I shan't recount the conversations with the courier or insurance company as my blood pressure still soars at the thought of it now.

Best of luck, but nowadays if I can't get to a machine and collect it myself I don't buy it.

BP
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

yes! all of the above will apply! Had a roulette delivered and the glass cracked in two places obviously from being dropped on the corner. Sent a wooden vending machine to US a couple of months ago and it was around £80 with insurance up to £500 but some of them will not carry items with any glass so look closely at terms and conditions before signing on the dotted line. Good luck, Mike
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Only done the other way round and a Bryans machine cost me just under £100....arrived complete including glass as was very well packed....My problem was the customs who added another £100.... No idea if the customs is the same issue the other way round. A lot of carriers go by weight and a Bryans is nice and light. If you are shipping a heavy Allwin, it may be a lot more...
raj

Post by raj »

I sent a Bryans Clock to the US via Transglobal and UPS and it arrived in less than 48hrs in perfect shape. Cost was around the 100 mark with insurance, which is only good for total loss due to the glass. Normal DIY string, bubble wrap and paper is no good, the item must be very very well packed to survive a drop test off the end of the conveyor belt.

Consider how your boxed consumer goods arrive from China, dense foam or polystyrene to hold the contents very tight, and triple wall cardboard box.

All paperwork must be 100% and the address cannot be a PO box number, or additional charges will apply. All US firms are very cute about add-ons for the most spurious reasons; wrong weight or size on the manifest will probably cost plenty (you could lose any discounted price & pay full UPS charges).
Any infringement of customs requirements will cause delay, and the last thing you want is your carefully packed gem ripped apart by a Homeland Security Neanderthal.
Apart from all that, no problems whatsoever!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

A packaging method my friend uses (for sending fragile electrical components by mail) is to cover the object with polythene or cling film, place it in a roomy box on a lump of polystyrene and then fill the remaining cavity with quick setting polyurethane-based expanding foam.
Attachments
filler.jpg
filler.jpg (9.4 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

badpenny wrote:Best of luck, but nowadays if I can't get to a machine and collect it myself I don't buy it.

BP
We shan't be seeing you in Melbourne any time soon then BP??
Hmm, better unwrap the Coronet then. :#:

I recall it cost me a few hundred to have my cast iron Operators Bell flown to Oz from Florida. It arrived in perfect nick three days after clicking 'pay now'.
andydotp
Last edited by andydotp on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's very sad but with a heavy liver and clenched elbows I have to concede that the problem is UK based.
In the past I have sent antique crystal chandeliers to Bolivia wrapped in an old pair of balaclavas and they've arrived next day in Bogota in immaculate condition.
However send an engineers' brick encased in Titanium and packed in an old bank safe to the house across the road via ..........
Parcel_Farce_by_beetlebox.jpg

........... and with a cheerful smile of contentment and a song in their ankles they'll deliver it in powder form three weeks to the day.

BP
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

A good tip is never wrap anything with FRAGILE tape ...they take at as challenge.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Good advice jimmy55
I also learned that being upside down from the rest of you I ask the sender to put the 'This Way Up' label arse-about. :lol:
bandito

Post by bandito »

Check out this video. The box is a computer monitor and the house owner was at home at the time of delivery. He had left his door open waiting for the delivery...... :shock:

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Best way. Take it yourself as hand luggage - everyone else on a transatlantic flight seems to have a pintable in a suitcase as hand luggage and the flight staff are too shit scared of losing a customer to say anything. You get a free trip to the USA and your allwin arrives in perfect condition. !!IDEA!!
scottie

Post by scottie »

Thanks.....treefrog and raj....

Doesn't sound like anyone trusts the UK postal system. Interesting, I was told it was very good - you even have delivery twice a day...
scottie.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The postal service is good.
It's quick and fairly cheap'ish.
We used to get 2 deliveries a day, but not now.
That's for letters and packages.

The Parcels Service was hived off several years ago, and calls itself Parcel Force, we call it Parcel Farce. They insist you carry your massive heavy parcel to their out of town depot, and then they carefully spend several days destroying it.

I'd rather pay more and go with UPS who will collect from your door or nearby agent and give you best odds on delivering it intact.
scottie

Post by scottie »

Sounds like what it was like here (Canada) years ago... every time I posted a letter in the mail box I would shout GOOD LUCK :D
It has improved a lot, but still has room for improvement.
Funny how things work... one would think it would be "great service" with emailing, cheaper phone rates, video on the computer, UPS. FedEx, etc., etc ...
scottie.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The Parcels Service was hived off several years ago, and calls itself Parcel Force, we call it Parcel Farce. They insist you carry your massive heavy parcel to their out of town depot, and then they carefully spend several days destroying it.
To be fair that's not true, the basic parcel force service can be slow and cumbersome and with all postal services the world over there is a risk of damage BUT they offer several good services for a little extra, We use two at work "delivery before 10am" and "delivery by noon" both, of course, cost a little extra, but they collect from you, often after 4pm and the parcels have never failed to arrive by the given time. They take quite large items but not sure about slot machine size. Never had cause to use that size.