How do you get the reels to spin faster?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
markymark

How do you get the reels to spin faster?

Post by markymark »

Sorry guys it's only me again, I seem to live on these forums...
My current Sega when pulling the handle, seems to lack a certain "kick" to spinning the reels.
Anyone got any experience of this and hints on making the reels spin faster!
On close inspection, lever pulled, the "kicker" shoe thingy (technical term) pulls back then kicks the pay plates to spin the reels... they spin but not really quick like other slots... and almost start to slow / stop before the arms drop against the reel cogs to stop them!
This slot is missing the wire arms that rest against the sides of the reels to slow them (so these are not the problem), the reels appear to spin and rotate freely on the spindle, the spring that puts the tension on the "kicker" arm appears to be OK.
Any ideas where I can look would be grateful...
Thanks.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Mark ....... you may be suffering from the slotties old enemy dried grease. Slacken off the pivot pins (another technical term) that support the reel assembly in each A frame to take the tension off, try squirting WD40 between the reels and the axle.
Grease should be avoided on slots as it attracts dirt, eventually dries and goes hard.
Did you get the pump you wanted, there were a couple or three on offer?
markymark

thx

Post by markymark »

Thanks for that. I'll give it a good clean. if others have other ideas, much appreciated.
As for the pumps, I decided to leave it without a pump as the handle doesn't bounce back too quickly.. I guess thats what the pump is for, to stop it from crashing back upright!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Other reasons for slow spinning reels that I've stumbled over in my time include a twisted frame, mechs get dropped and it doesn't take a lot of trauma to put undue pressure on the axle.
You wouldn't always spot that by looking at it. Place the mech on a flat surface and see if you can rock it by pressing on a corner.

If it's not too bad you can often get round it by slackening off the various screws and bolts that hold the two ends of the frames in shape. When you've got it true again just grip them back up enough to hold it together.

I'm surprised you didn't buy a pump, you're right they stop the handle from banging back. The last time I bought one I think I paid about £35 and Sunday there was a couple of nice examples cheaper than that.
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

Personally I dislike WD40 other than for a "quick fix" and always use light machine oil for lubrication of bandits.

The lightest wipe with a piece of kitchen towel is enough and the general rule I apply is "if you can see oil, then you have used too much".
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'm recommending WD40 in order to clean out dried up grease and dirt, not as a lubricant!
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

My own preferred method is to separate the top and bottom halves of the mechanism, making notes of where the various circlips etc are fitted and then give the bottom half a paraffin wash with a half-inch paintbrush, which removes all of the congealed grease and the swarf which seems to cling to it.

I use a much lighter touch on the top half but the essential thing here is to clean the spindle and the reel liners using paraffin-soaked kitchen towel before lubricating with light machine oil. As ever, if you can see oil after doing this then you have used too much.

Only do this on a mechanical bandit or similar- never oil a pinball machine on the coil plungers.

This is just "what does it for me" and I don't hold myself up as an expert on amusement machines, simply as somebody who has a reasonable knowledge of machinery.
malcymal

Re: How do you get the reels to kick / spin faster? Please!

Post by malcymal »

Being a relative newb, I had this problem and found the hints given here were good, e.g. cleaning where the reel break wires sit on the spindle (congealed grease it was too). Gathering info from a Mills service manual i found the following solution worked well for me (being mindful that wrong timings can seriously damage machine). Have you looked at your clock mechanism fan, the bit on the top of the pole that spins around? Is it straight, or have both ends been bent around. If its straight then it produces more drag therefore slowing the reels down (bit like putting your hand out the car window, flat it cuts through wind, upright you get force). If you gently bend it around opposite to the direction the fan travels on both ends then the reels will speed up. Adjust the wheel brake wires accordingly to stop bounce and slipage. My Berkeley had its fan ends bent right around so the reels were very very fast and aggressive, far too quick, ive toned this down by slightly (adjusting each time till i was happy with the motion and sound) the fan and tightening the wheel brake wires.
The jubilee has its fan practically straight so was quite lame and slow, and i noticed that the same fruit occassionally came back to same position on 3 or 4 spins) a slight bend has sped the reels up and it sounds and plays beautifully. The fruits on first reel are now very random as that reel is spinning quicker.
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

I don't understand how adjusting the speed of the clock makes the reels spin any faster or slower. Surely it will only affect the cycle time of the machine. :?

Am I missing something?
JC

Post by JC »

Bent Copper, I'm really glad you posted that, as it's been bugging me too. The reels spin freely and totally indepentently of the clock - so perhaps we're both missing something?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

JC wrote:Bent Copper, I'm really glad you posted that, as it's been bugging me too. The reels spin freely and totally indepentently of the clock - so perhaps we're both missing something?
I agree with you guys, that only regulates the cycle (maybe my missus needs a new fan!)
Stopping the fan by shoving a duster against the twirly fan and then operating the machine is how I check how fast the reels are spinning.
Sometimes the reels get twisted and rub against the frame, each other, the stops. That's the other main reason I've come across for reels to spin slowly.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Markymark said the reels were spinning freely so it seems more likely the reel kicker is not making good contact. I remember encountering this once but don't remember the cure.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sorry .... didn't re-read the whole of the original thread.
I've had this three times with machines.
Once because the kicker was from a different machine (same make different model) so it only reached at the top of its arc.

Once when the leading face of the kicker was so worn that it didn't seat well into the steps on the plate.

Once when the (god knows what it's called) vertical retaining lever which locks the plates in the right position prior to the kicker striking wasn't tensioned correctly. This resulted in the kicker rotating the payout plates instead of clicking over them. Then when it was released the steps had moved so the shoe on the kicker missed the first lot and engaged with the next set of (by then misaligned) teeth/steps. That slowed things up. I just bent the locking lever a bit so it held the reels in place, if you overdo it then they don't become free when the striker takes off, so you have to get it just right.

I hope I haven't now repeated something that was said earlier, 'cos I still haven't re-read the whole of the thread :oops:

If I've confused the issue by my vague terminology then I'm prepared to take a photo later of the the little beasty I mean.

So let me know.

Cheers
Badpenny
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Well, maybe its the terminology of speed at issue. Maybe they are talking about how fast/slow the reels stop, or the amount of time the reels spin?? I took reference from the Mills Bell Machine Parts and Service Manual on the section. From what you guys state, then I guess the Mills definition of reel speed, is the timing (how long a reel spins for). When I altered my fans and cleaned up the break wires as suggested, the reels are definitely quicker and whole machine seems nicer. Perhaps the wires being cleaned were enough.

From the Mills manual :-
How to adjust speed reels
Careful attention in adjusting speed of reels should be taken. Improper adjustments might results in serious damage. If reels spin too fast and stop with a jarring bounce tighten brake spring. The reels then should stop at about the same time that reel stop levers fall against reel stop stars. To speed up reels, bend ends of clock fan on clock. To slow up reels straighten out ends of above mentioned fan.
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, I guess they're referring to the cycle time rather than the actual speed of the reels. The speed at which the reels spin is determined by the kicker, which sets them in motion, and the brake wires which are intended to regulate the speed. Assuming there is no twist or distortion in the frame (as Badpenny has stated above), I've always found that cleaning the points where the wires make contact with the reel hubs, plus a light oiling, is all that is required to get the reels spinning nicely - although the correct speed is of course subjective - one man's just right is another man's too fast (or too slow).
classicgambler

Reels slowly spinning etc.

Post by classicgambler »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

While I'm in the questions and answers section, I was called to a one arm bandit today - the customer complained the arm was a bit stiff to pull and the reels were very slow spinning round. This is one I have not encountered before. Can anyone please help me with this one. The only time I can get photos of the machine will be Monday night if you need any.
coppinpr

Re: reels slowly spinning etc.

Post by coppinpr »

It's not an unusual problem and usually easy to fix, but the problem is it's all a bit vague at the moment. It could be anything from the handle itself, through the resetting mech, to the main cross bar and the reels themselves. The most likely, from what you say, is that it's loading and releasing of the kicker - usually solid grease on the bearings causing the kicker to load and unload slowly.
First questions to answer are, is it slow when operated outside the case? Do the reels spin freely on the spindles? Does the kicker engage correctly and release with some force?
classicgambler

Re: Reels slowly spinning etc.

Post by classicgambler »

It is slow inside and outside of the case. It has some force too; the reels spin freely but very slowly too.
Any idea's please ??
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

What bandit is it?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

As coppinpr said "grease" ...... probably everywhere.