Wrinkle paintwork

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
rbrewerton

Wrinkle paintwork

Post by rbrewerton »

Hi all. Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to reproduce the crinkly paint finish on a Sega bandit? Mine has a couple of chips smack in the middle at the front that I'd like to try and touch up. I've experimented with spongeing and stippling and so on but I think it will stick out like a sore thumb. The rest of the case is ok so I don't really want to strip it all down and respray it and then end up with a smooth finish. You usually come up trumps so thanks in advance.
bryans fan

Re: Sega paintwork

Post by bryans fan »

A few years ago wrinkle finish paint was still available from car parts shops, in black. It may still be available. You could spray the item in black wrinkle finish then respray in the desired colour.
No doubt the Bandit fans will come to your aid.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi, :D The method bryans fan recommends has worked for me in the past with quite good results. You can only get the wrinkle (not crinkle) finish paint in black. Hycote paints do one. I think you can get it on Ebay. When I used it, I put a light coat of white primer over the black finish before spraying on the top coat, which was red... Another way to get the finish you want is to take it to a powder coating company and let them spray it for you, but to do it this way you will have to remove all the old finish first. Good luck with your project, :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The only other thing you'd need to do if you take Slotalot's soopah advice "take it to a powder coating company " is first of all carefully explore down the backs of all your easy chairs and sofa cushions.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Yes, I forgot to mention that :oops: ...and you will probably need all the loose change out of your wife's purse aswell ;-) ... Powder coating can be expensive... Come to think of it, that's why I painted it myself. !!THUMBSX2!!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Can you post a picture of the chips so i can come up with a plan?? Malc
andy g

Post by andy g »

Hi,
You can buy red and black wrinkle paint from ]Frost restorers equipment - it costs £9.50 per tin. The red is a darker shade than the original, but it still looked better on my machine than the red and silver brushed paint finish the machine came with. A word of warning to anybody trying this paint, do not use it anywhere near your house - it stinks. See picture to give you an idea of what the colour looks like.
When I resprayed the machine, I stripped the paint to bare metal.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
sega.JPG
rbrewerton

Post by rbrewerton »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I've spent the day checking out paint and experimenting. I tried taking a picture but it didn't really show up very well. The two chips are pea sized on the centre red panel just below the escalator window. My local Dulux paint centre confirmed that it was originally powder coated and baked leaving a satin finish, too pricey and not really worth it to renew and they no longer deal in speciality paints. So this afternoon I've been painting bits of scrap and sticking all manner of things in to try and reproduce the effect. The closest I've come so far surprisingly is Hammerite though not a satin finish. I've yet to check out the Frost paint but nothing to lose now so in for a penny----- cheers.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Andy G wrote:You can buy red and black wrinkle paint from Frost restorers equipment
Now you tell me! :dammit: , Thanks for posting the info Andy G, I will make a note of this for next time. :tarah:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

If it's pea sized, then a bit of Hammershite will work wonders! Put a bit of scratch fill in first. Do it in the shed, that stuff is extremely high in fumes, more so than Nitromors. I'm here with my Jubilee Mk1, looking at the scratches and knocks, I'm not gonna touch it, acceptable authentic ageing with authentic original paint, not worth the fuss. Note, don't paint machine with Nitromors or you will get a very crackled finish LOL.
polaris

paint techniques

Post by polaris »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Can anyone tell me how this finish was achieved and is it possible to replicate?
Attachments
005.JPG
widget2k4

Re: paint techniques

Post by widget2k4 »

yep i just did one you need vht paint (very high temperature paint) its a nightmare to use but can give good results if you take your time and read the instructions,
only thing i found was it smelt like sweaty feet for a few weeks after, especially when it was in a warm area :(
polaris

Post by polaris »

thanks widget any chance you can post picture of one you did
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

This is the only picture I have of it mate as I swapped it for another machine not long after
Attachments
image.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I found heating with a heat gun while it was drying worked great :)
Your supposed to bake it in an oven afterwards but I tried to make it fit and no matter what I tried it wouldn't fit in the damn oven lol
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Im not saying this is an easy way or even that I recommend it but I did this one as a test with rust-o-lum spray paint cans allowing the jet to be partly clogged so that it sputtered on the final two coats.

finished 1.jpg

widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

that actually looks like quite a good effect :)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think that's an excellent effect Paul, you must be very pleased with that.

What paint did you use for the final spluttering finish?
coppinpr

Re: Wrinkle paintwork

Post by coppinpr »

i dont really remember but I have it in mind it was their satin black
coppinpr

Re: Wrinkle paintwork

Post by coppinpr »

was looking at paints today and two types Ive not tried or see before took my interest.
the first is this crackle effect paint that might look good

crack.jpg

the second looks very useful, a range of spray paints for use on glass, I bought one of these to try when repainting belly glass from the inside,

glass paint.jpg