Genco Hoops

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
cheeky

Genco Hoops

Post by cheeky »

Hi People,

I have just registered on this super site and wonder if any of you can give me some information.

I bought a Genco Hoops several years back. My wife liked it and as far as I'm concerned that will do nicely!

Unfortunately, it was re-cased into a modern blue cabinet but I would like to restore it to its former glory. The question is what was its former glory?

Do any of you know of any other Genco Hoops machines out there or do you have any pictures that I can work with?

Please help

Cheeky
Last edited by cheeky on Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

Well, I can't help you at all with that specific enquiry...... no doubt someone else will come along soon who can.

But in the meantime, welcome to the forum!

Vince
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Thank you for your warm welcome Vince. I think I will need to post a photo to see if that helps flag up any old memories.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Hello People,

Here is a photograph of the Genco Hoops machine. Any ideas? Background info?

HELP!!!!!!
Attachments
DSC02807.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Genco Hoops

Post by pennymachines »

This is the bijou or travelling version of the massive floor standing Hoops machine by Genco Corp. of Chicago, circa 1930. Not surprisingly it's similar in material construction and design to the early pintables that were all the rage at the time, and which Genco was also making.

It's a kind of cross between a striker and a vertical bagatelle. Whereas the 7ft version is played with tennis balls, the little one uses squash balls (or something similar). Both versions seem to have been fairly popular.

Most of the little one's I've seen had unadorned wooden varnished cases. I did have one in a blue fleck paint similar to yours, but I seem to have parted with it. I imagine if there are graphics, they will be fairly simple geometric designs that could easily be done with some stencils and spray paint.

Anyone got a picture?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Prizes would have been awarded for top scores. Here's the plain case version.
Attachments
Hoops in plain case
Hoops in plain case
hoops.jpg (30.76 KiB) Viewed 7412 times
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

WOW! I am totally amazed that this was resolved so quickly. What a super site!!!!!

Now who do I need to thank? - Site Admin posed the question about the case and then answered it. Bit confused there.

So thank you Site Admin whoever you are!

May I ask whether it would be possible to view the case close up so that I can get one made?

Best wishes to all
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

You're in Essex, I'm West Mids. You're welcome to come and take some measurements. I'll pm you.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Hi,
The case looks original, just the paint looks new. I will try and upload a pic (3rd attempt) of one I used to own. You can just see the graphics on the side. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dave.
Attachments
hoops2.jpg
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Thanks Dave. I wonder where your old Hoops ended up?

I seem to recall that my case was rebuilt. The former owner, at the Clive Baker Southhampton sale a couple of years back, told me he had rebulit the case because it was falling to pieces. Maybe it was just patched up and re-painted. All I need now is the original Genco 1D slot. Off to the Wanted section methinks. Thanks for the update!
jimmycowman

Re: Genco Hoops - Now with Photograph HELP!!!!!

Post by jimmycowman »

Better late than never you're thinking....... This one of mine has the same colours.... strange? I got this from an auction years ago, 8 perhaps. It was a collector in Birmingham, machines on racking in a shed (steel framed). Hardly anything sold - reserves too much. Can anyone remember who it was?
Attachments
010920131356-(1).jpg
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Was it Joe Fletcher's auction?
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Yes, that rings a bell... What year was that?
howeinuk

Genco Hoops - and ideas?

Post by howeinuk »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Can anybody help me please?

I'm restoring a Genco Hoops machine that's in a poor state. The mechanism to flick the ball is a bit Heath Robinson. When the handle is struck it pushes the ball delivery arm up, but the handle travel is limited to 35mm and I assume relies on the monument up to flick the ball upwards. The lever that makes contact with the ball doesn't appear to be correct, because it's not central to the underside of the ball and, the way it is set up, can't be. Maybe it was botched to keep it working.

I would appreciate if somebody could supply images of how the mechanism should be. I assume that there should also be stops, otherwise the casting that support the handle will be stressed and will damage the locating lugs that fit into the side of the cabinet (as has happened with mine).

Also, should be balls be plastic, wood or rubber and what is the correct size? I have borrowed the cat's plastic play balls whilst experimenting!
Attachments
Genco3.JPG
Genco2.JPG
Genco1.JPG