Bonanza Star jigsaw puzzle

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
treefrog

Re: Bonanza Star jigsaw puzzle

Post by treefrog »

The chute is a token vendor and would have had hand filled large tokens that were released on a special award, maybe yours would be on three stars. There should be a horizontal bar that would release it when the stop at the rear goes into the deep grooves in the reel discs
bod

Post by bod »

Really? :o How interesting. Now you have explained this, I can see I have the horizontal lever that would push the escapement to release a single token. However, what I don't seem to have are any slots cut into the perforated payout discs, the edges are a uniform sawtooth effect so as far as I can see that horizontal lever will always push to the same point. :NBG:

So now I'm !PUZZLED!
Either I have a non-original reel bundle that doesn't push the token dispenser, or I have a superfluous token chute that wasn't intended to work in this model. Since the award card makes no mention of tokens yet it includes the 'unusual' symbols on the reels (like * and £) I conclude that these match, and therefore the token chute is inoperative. I'm guessing at some point the reels and award card have been swapped out to stop having to fill up and deal in tokens. I have to say, the token chute location would make it a pig to fill, probably have to remove the mech to get at it.

However I guess I'll know whether the token chute works once I clean it up and fit it using the mounting bracket that I couldn't identify in my original post, but have now identified thanks to the photos. !!YABBADABBA!!
andy g

Post by andy g »

The short tube you need for the light above the reel glass is a 4 watt 6 inch tube.
And if I remember correctly, a 1/2 crown coin will fit the token vendor.

Andy
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Below is one of the original Sega Gold Awards, similar in size to the older Mills one's. Mentioned on a another thread a month back was a load of tokens someone was selling, I bought a few bags of these and there were over 40 Ruffler and Walker Token Bell Awards, same size and shape as the Mills and Sega one's, which I guess they produced as an alternative replacement
Attachments
Ipswich-20151126-00091.jpg
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

Those tokens disappeared from the machines at much the same time as decimal coinage arrived. The Betting and Gaming act stated that all wins had to be paid by the machine. That outlawed machines such as the Sega Progressive Star (I have one) because the award was on a meter incrementing 1 unit every 20 spins. The win was actually stated as "100 coins plus meter reading" but it had to paid over the bar or by an attendant.

My Progressive came from a holiday camp on the Isle of Wight and only saw intensive use on summer evenings between May and early September. I paid £25 for it but that was a week's pay for me in those days!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

................... it still is for some of us these days!