dcs

Nostalgic Machines Ltd.

Post by dcs »

Attachments
5555559cup.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Nostalgic Machines Ltd. Proprietor Nigel Crew. Manufactured in China. See Links page in the Archive. Or Click Here.

I assume, from your previous questions, you want to start making them yourself?
jimmycowman

take note

Post by jimmycowman »

Hey, my mate worked at Alton Towers and the other day got sacked for no reason whatsoever, so he went to see a solicitor and he told him to take it to the funfair tribunal!!!!!!
dcs

Post by dcs »

Yes, Iwant to build the machine.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

funfair tribunal

Post by badpenny »

Hey Jimmy ............ Tell him to be careful, what he wins on the swings they'll take off him on the roundabouts!
margamatix

Nostalgic Machines Allwins

Post by margamatix »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I have never seen one of these in the flesh, but have always been curious about them.
Do they work in the same way as a traditional allwin (Bryan's, Whales, R & W etc.)?
I think I would buy one if I had a pub or some-such because I could see them returning a profit at 10p per go.
Anyone know anything about them?
The Grabber

Post by The Grabber »

Hello, a couple of years ago I bought a Win a Mint machine from them and I've had no trouble at all, in fact, I would recommend that machine any day - plays well, gives a prize when won...
Hope this helps... Bye for now.
jimmycowman

repro allwins

Post by jimmycowman »

Hi, one question to the people who make repro allwins: Why don't you use reclaimed wood like old floor boards or something to make them look old? instead of that fake looking wood !!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The mechanisms and to some extent the exteriors were based on a Double Your Win allwin similar to a basic Olly Whales but made by some as yet to be determined manufacturer. I know, because I supplied it. It was sent out to China to be copied in a modified and slightly simplified form. Several workshops were employed to make different parts of the mechanism (and still are, I believe) to prevent any one workshop from churning out the whole machines and thereby cutting out Nostalgic Amusements. Hope I'm not giving away any trade secrets here.

The cases, like the mechs are "made to a price". If they had to source reclaimed timber the games would probably cost more than genuine old allwins - particularly in today's rather depressed market! I agree with you, that reclaimed timber would be preferable. If you buy any wooden product manufactured in China, you're almost certainly contributing to the destruction of endangered forest in China, Malaysia, Russia, Indonesia, or Papua New Guinea. See The Numbers Game.
nostalgic machines ltd

nostalgic machines ltd

Post by nostalgic machines ltd »

Thanks for kind words about the Win A Mint, and also Administrator was right, he did supply that machine that travelled to China and back TWICE !! It could be the longest travelled Allwin. We built the machines with an aim to make them affordable to all, there is no reclaimed wood in China as it is all burnt - we have to manufacture the cabinets in production runs, so even if we could get reclaimed, it would not be possible. To make the Administrator feel even older, that machine you supplied, which I remember was at a very high price, was 11 years ago!!! Where has that time Gone? You can find our web site on the links page.

Great job with this site !!
Well Done.
perana5000

Nostalgic Machines

Post by perana5000 »

Hello all, I was just wondering what the general consensus was regarding Nostalgic Machines repro machines - good, bad or ugly?
All the best Mark. :D
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Nostalgic Machines

Post by coin-op »

My thoughts are that 'they are what they are'. For some, at the right price, and for home use, they look fresh and work (I'm assuming they work fine, never owned one). However, they aren't 'antique / old original machines', they don't have oak cabinets and they aren't made to the same standard that many original machines were made. However, they don't need restoration and they can be obtained, sometimes, at quite cheap prices. You pays your money and you makes your choice!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

coin-op wrote:However, they aren't 'antique / old original machines
Yup. Very true but they said that about Bryans' machines once!
Internally, they are well made and more reliable than many of the older allwins.
For the price, I think they are a bit of a bargain. :roll:
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Er, yeh. Soft wood cases with sprayed finish (I don't think they were even stained...at least not the one's which I have seen where the varnish has come away). Brass rather than steel used in the mech's. Come on, you got me, which is it, you're on a commission or have a shed full of the things?? ;-)
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Neither. I've seen them being operated and they just seem so reliable compared to the oldies. As for the cases, granted they are poor but remember there were some pretty poorly cased allwins in plywood and metal. Mark my words, one day the factory will burn down and then you will be sorry.
:mad:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

..........and they are now making a 'Peeping Butler' and 'Peeping Maid'
Attachments
peeping.JPG
peeping.JPG (94.66 KiB) Viewed 4039 times
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

These nostalgic machines were certainly coining it at Arreton Barns Isle of Wight. Hordes of folk playing these repros plus the old originals too. I was allured to their Win A Mint repro and after 70p I won a packet of polos, so not so much Win a Mint as cost a mint... Some of them look good but some of the back flashes and signage appear a bit brash. If they could distress the images, dull 'em down a bit and work on the finish I think they would be acceptable in my home. I wouldn't pay £300 for a new one, but somebody who had lost interest and flogging it for a hundred-ish - I might buy one. You could of course distress it yourself and give it some age. Be worth buying for a hundred to copy and make a new one using some quality materials; you could actually produce them in limited numbers and put your name to them. They come with a 2p or 10p coin entry slot so you can adjust the coinage and put on free play too. It could be in the future that they might have value too, if the company stops making them. Say in years to come they may be seen as part of nostalgia for our period in time now.
Funny, in my other collector's life of action figures and old toys, I have a nice little action man collection. A company called Modellersloft got the rights to reproduce the old action men and everybody barfed at the thought... In fact they were such good repros it's hard to tell the difference from the real deal and it's now totally acceptable to collect them. Made better than the originals. These new sets are very desirable as they have ceased production of the repros, hence becoming collectible in their own right. I think the same could be said of these repro coin-ops.
gameswat

Nostalgic parts

Post by gameswat »

Hey - just wondering if anybody has used the Nostalgic repro allwin parts on old machines. They are sending me a price list but as I've never really looked closely at one of the machines I'm not sure what they copied the parts from? I'm currently trying to finish off a number of incomplete machines and while I normally make the pieces myself a few parts like thumb levers need to be cast. And before I bother I thought I'd look around and see if I can save myself some time. Thanks.
grabber

Re: Nostalgic parts

Post by grabber »

I've used the coin cups and direction arrows and found these parts as good as the originals.
I can't remember the owner's name but I found them very good people to work with.
gameswat

Re: Nostalgic parts

Post by gameswat »

Thanks for the info - very interesting. Of course I ordered my five payout cups straight from Penny Machines - gotta help out when you can cause the site is too cool! I just remembered buying a coin cup back in the 90s from the UK, and on looking up an old Antique Amusements mag it turns out it was from Nostalgic Machines. Small world.