Gallopers - Carousel

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
arrgee

Gallopers - Carousel

Post by arrgee »

Not exactly slot related but nevertheless closely linked -
Chatting to a fairground traveler the other month and he told me that the difference between Gallopers and a Carousel is the rotation:
Gallopers rotate clockwise whilst a Carousel rotates anti-clockwise. Anyone else heard of this.

First pic is of Gallopers, second pic a Carousel
Attachments
gallopers.jpg
carousel.jpg
aristomatic

Re: Gallopers - Carousel

Post by aristomatic »

Do US gallopers/carousels. go anticlockwise and UK go clockwise?

GP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Aristo, I had heard the same thing and also that people or should I say enthusiasts get right upset when people mix the two up
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

My understanding is a little different .........
British rotate clockwise and continental anti-clockwise.

I used to have a juvenile in the garden of my pub The Fox Inn, and that was clockwise. :cool:
JC

Post by JC »

Basically, Carousel is a European name for a 'roundabout' - also widely used in America. We've never used the term in this country until comparatively recently, and it makes me cringe when I hear a set of Gallopers referred to as a 'carousel'.
European and American carousels revolve anti-clockwise (as viewed from the top) and British Gallopers or 'Galloping Horses' revolve clockwise. The reason for the clockwise rotation is that from the very early days (late Victorian era) showmen often used elaborate sign-written messages around the rounding boards: FRED BLOGGS - AMAZING - GALLOPING - HORSES - FOR YOUR - DELIGHT etc etc. Punters could read the rounding boards when the machine was in motion - it obviously wouldn't work if the ride was revolving anti-clockwise.
A more romantic explanation for the clockwise rotation was that an English Gentleman would always mount his horse from the left (from the days when a Gentleman dressed with his sword would have had difficulty mounting from the right, unless he happened to be left-handed).
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thanks Jerry, reading the words via a clockwise motion seems a reasonable explanation to me.
Always thought the continentals did things arse about face.
The Gallopers shown in my opening post is located at Bressingham Steam & Gardens in Norfolk (2.5 miles west of Diss and 14 miles east of Thetford on the A1066) well worth a visit. There is also a small penny arcade, some 1930s and 1950s kiddy rides and a full size 1930s dogems which is great fun!
Illustration below shows the Steam Gallopers at Bressingham. When we were there the original steam engine powering the ride was having its 10 year strip down and rebuild so the ride was powered by an electric motor.
Can thoroughly recommend this for a family day out. Lovely gardens, the site also has a display of old/vintage vehicles, steam engines, a steam railway and also a display of 'Dads Army' memorabilia as a lot of the shows were filmed close by.
Attachments
gallopers illustration.jpg
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

I have just checked some old photos of my kids on a carousel in the Shelburne Musuem Vermont and that is definitely going anti clockwise, but more importantly (to me anyway) why in my family are Gallopers referred to as "bobby horses"?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Variation of "Hobby Horses" ? !!HOBBYHORSE!!
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Re, Bressingham's Steam Gallopers.
It is highly unlikely that the ride will again be powered by steam as the engine and boiler unit are now exhibited in the museum building and the boiler has been sectioned to show the visitors what's inside.
In recent times it has been difficult to find a steam trained driver for the gallopers because the museum is very short of volunteers; at times some of the trains have not been running due to lack of drivers.
The boiler exam, driver shortages and also changing the drive belts between the steam engine and the electric motor was a major task so the Trust decided to run the ride electric only.

Re, Bobby Horses.
The old showmen (British) used to call the gallopers rides 'Dobbies'

John
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thanks for the info John, still a beautiful carousel even without the steam power.
Do you know what happened to the Downhill racer at the former 'Bygone village' attraction?
Took these pics whilst on holiday about 20 years ago
Attachments
downhill 1.jpg
downhill 2.jpg
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Sorry Arrgee, I don't know for sure but I understand from a contact at Bressingham that the racer is/was in a private collection in France.

John