Pilwin Restoration

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
widget2k4

Re: Pilwin Restoration

Post by widget2k4 »

Deffo right Jeremy !THUMBS!

It will come to a point where there is none with original back flashes one day as they will have all crumbled to dust, what then? Just burn them all, stop collecting? Or display it with nothing on the back lol
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

what happened to the image coppin did ?
brianh

Post by brianh »

(treefrog)
I have never taken an image to the printers before, how do they match the size, do you just state the dimensions and they do the rest

When I did this with a kit kat backflash (touched up all the missing or damaged bits just using the "paint" prog as I don't have photo shop) I just popped the pic on a memory stick thingy and gave to the printer with exact measurements remembering to allow for border that is hidden from view. He printed it to size and laminated the pic, all for £12. If you "dirty" the picture up a bit when touching it up it can still give the appearence of an old one so as not to look too pristine.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I sort of assumed it was as easy as just giving the size to them....I did buy paint shop pro, but haven’t a clue how to use it so was wasted on me :lol:

Printing on paper is fine as I would just use a clear plastic sheet over the top like Wonders did, so much better as can be replaced.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

brianh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:22 pm (treefrog)
I have never taken an image to the printers before, how do they match the size, do you just state the dimensions and they do the rest

When I did this with a kit kat backflash (touched up all the missing or damaged bits just using the "paint" prog as I don't have photo shop) I just popped the pic on a memory stick thingy and gave to the printer with exact measurements remembering to allow for border that is hidden from view. He printed it to size and laminated the pic, all for £12. If you "dirty" the picture up a bit when touching it up it can still give the appearence of an old one so as not to look too pristine.
Exactly that.
First of all get as high a resolution of the finished picture as you can. That makes sure that when they blow it up to the dimensions you request it doesn't go all pixelated. Shove it on a stick and (in my case) ask for it to be encapsulated. They then send you an email of it expanded to your size. You approve it .... Job's a good 'un!

BP
tammy

Post by tammy »

The trouble I have with this is that there were 3 pictures of the Pilwin, one was after it was took off the machine but the one when it is on the machine surely doesn't look that bad. It's just a bit of paper once it's gone you might as well just buy a reproduction machine if you take it all along the line. No one is saying if a backflash is really past it that it isn't a good course.
I have restored many machines and some out of damp conditions where you have to do what you can.
All I am trying to open up is the fact I feel it is really sad how every vintage one arm bandit has to have its reel strips pulled off for new ones, missing all the character they had in the penny arcades of the 1950s and 60s that I so loved.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Tammy you are absolutely right, it would be great to keep history and originality where possible on any collectables, but there are those that prefer machines looking smart and those who prefer the untouched look. This will always be the case and hopefully machines survive to satisfy later, which I suspect I fall into. I am working on a machine now where the state of an item means originality is not possible due to a previous collector partially stripping the paint.

I am not convinced that machines will not survive without loss of originality over time as careful maintenance and attention should mean longevity, but obviously plastic backflashes can be an issue. I have an untouched Bryans Elevenses with original backflash with some cracks, but would never change in my ownership as it looks great.

It is down to the eye of the beholder I guess and this Pilwin is borderline I reckon.
sutton

Post by sutton »

Would it not be possible for someone to manufacture a plastic back flash as original? I'm sure there would be many people who would be interested in purchasing, including myself. If it can be done for 11's type why could it not be done for the Pilwin?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Well, in my eyes worn, damaged, tatty, ripped etc. will always be replaced with new. Times are changing and lots of people are wanting these for modern houses as art deco etc. They want them glammed up, they don't want rough looking things in their houses. After all, look at the way old antique furniture is going. Everyone wants it but they want it all painted up and looking modern and nice, not old and falling to bits. It's just like old cars and bikes - if they are falling to bits and not road worthy you wouldn't be able to use them so you would get them repaired or restored, which would mean losing originality but making them usable again.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Jim Bryan was still selling backflashes and spares just 17 years ago. I have an invoice from Jim Bryan dated December 2001 although the Kegworth Works were no longer in operation and he was trading from an address in Loughborough. A lot of collectors may view a 17 year old backflash as 'modern or new replacement' but does the relatively recent supply of an item actually from 'Bryans' fall into this catagory?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

It's hard to tell on the picture but when I do mine I sandwich it in between thin firm sheets of plastic and when in position you really can't tell it's not all plastic, much better than laminating and it gives it the original plastic finish look. On other allwins I do as treefrog mentioned and fit a plastic sheet over like Wonders done and that looks good also.
Attachments
2018-02-14 08.20.16.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I suspect someone making backflashes for the Pilwin in bulk might not be hugely viable as far fewer exist than the stripey ones.

All the Bryans backflashes been sold over the last 10 years, were these from Bryans as mentioned. I remember early Elephant auctions there being huge piles of these at a tenner each. Someone also mentioned there was a left hand one and right hand, not sure if they were pulling my leg. I suspect most of us have at least two spares kicking around.

Widget you are right about a lot of people liking clean shiny looking machines in their houses and Henry Powell has made a living selling to the public such items. I suspect we are talking about collectors who look for history. There are sooo many people turning up on this forum who have paid a fortune for a modern restored machine seeking technical help that are not collectors but frustrated their pricey machine has stopped working. Old topic I know, but in the US this has been changing over the years and collectors are becoming less interested in the shiny and pay a premium for original machines. Same happened to classic car market. We will see in years to come where this ends up, but I reckon the high machines will become the good originals.....sometimes there is no choice but to restore due to condition or previous bodge jobs.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

what happened to the image coppin did ?

I removed it
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I have a NOS Pilwin backflash from Jim Bryan that I am going to use on my Pilwin, ( one day!) I consider this to be OK. The repro Elevenses type back flashes that Melvin Wright produced, were screen printed onto clear plastic. I think if you are going to repro them they should be as the originals were done, not paper laminated. This is my opinion.
I believe in conservation rather than restoration.
treefrog wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am Someone also mentioned there was a left hand one and right hand, not sure if they were pulling my leg. I suspect most of us have at least two spares kicking around.
The original backflashes were sloping left to right. The later ones that Jim had done were sloping right to left.

I think it's all about being true to the originals. I saw recently Bryans Oak repro cases on ebay with dove tail joints. Bryans never used dovetails to my knowledge.
This debate reminds me of the old joke about a hammer, "I've had this hammer 60 years, it's had a new head and a new handle!"
tammy

Post by tammy »

I am glad places like the Louvre, Paris don't restore the pictures there with paper printed copies. Imagine the Mona Lisa? It would be like the Mr.Bean film with Whistler's Mother!!

I do wonder if many first time buyers realise if they are buying a copy?? I knew a collector a few years ago who kept knocking up small fortune teller machines out of old wood. The only bit original was the front bit of paperwork and he made a fortune. He told me he was getting a little worried as when they then sold on again that people stated they were all original... £500 or more he said the last one on ebay sold for.
shiny penny

Post by shiny penny »

Prefer the OFAH Trig version of that joke especially as I`ve got a 60 year old hammer in original condition!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

OK then, so what happens when original parts are no longer available? What then throw the machine on the scrap heap?
My mate restores bsa motorcycles and unfortunately there is no new original parts in production anymore so is it not OK to use reproduction parts, there are factories out there producing reproduction parts so obviously true bsa collectors are still having to use them as there is nothing else available, that is just one example.
Vintage slot machines are going the same way either make the part they need and make them live again or scrap them that's the choice I think.
The anoraks in this game will obviously choose the scrap method lol
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I agree with Widget,keep em alive and looking like they should, I always think "what would the old time operators have done" true,for the most part nothing,they would have just run the deteriorating machine till it fell apart BUT if they needed to they could,and did, replace backgrounds,paint cases orange (sadly) and make replacement parts,if it was ok with them to replace its ok with me (not the orange painted case though) :cool:

also, it has to be remembered, if machines had been dumped as soon as they became tatty and not tarted up we wouldn't have anywhere near as many machines with us today
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

tammy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 am The trouble I have with this is that there were 3 pictures of the Pilwin, one was after it was took off the machine but the one when it is on the machine surely doesn't look that bad. It's just a bit of paper once it's gone you might as well just buy a reproduction machine if you take it all along the line. No one is saying if a backflash is really past it that it isn't a good course.
I have restored many machines and some out of damp conditions where you have to do what you can.
All I am trying to open up is the fact I feel it is really sad how every vintage one arm bandit has to have its reel strips pulled off for new ones, missing all the character they had in the penny arcades of the 1950s and 60s that I so loved.
As a teenage schoolboy in the 60s I'd spend my school holidays working at my Uncle's arcade in Paignton. He never bought parts for any of them. We used coffee tins to bend out bits we needed, a felt tip pen to change award cards and mend backflashes and any old paint to tart them up.
You have to remember that these machines were there to earn money, the operators had no nostalgic hazy eyed memories about them. So were his machines any less authentic?
As I've pointed out on here before, bandits often arrived at his back door sprayed in primer ...... for various reasons. It was up to him (and the Army Surplus Store) what colour they ended up.
There's no such thing as Original or Proper, only what it looked like once and what it looks like now.

BP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You will argue this point for ever, but some of us do not believe what a lot of collectors do to machines and classify them to be honest restoration that is needed to preserve a machine, remember that is our opinion which will not change.....I have walked away from so many such machines at collectors auctions and regretted others I have bought for the same reason. I also will hold on to honest original machines and yes that includes operator changes over the years as other collectors will do.

I cannot classify major changes by collectors to part of its working life history, but subsequent change done by the collector. I also disagree it has to be done in all cases. Of course there situations where reproducing parts is no choice and agree of course these may need to be made or reproduced.

I suspect we are talking about two things here, one is people’s preference and taste to true anal collector syndrome, which I only partially fit into.

Sometimes collectors have no choice but to buy a rare machine changed by a collector as there may be only a few that exist. A good example is a so called Aussie bandit I bought, but someone had chromed parts that were never chromed, that is because of owner taste and not about originality....but I have no choice.....

As I say this argument could go on forever and I suspect I views will always differ