SS Automatic Machine Co. Fascination identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

SS Automatic Machine Co. Fascination identified

Post by coppinpr »

Has anyone any information about this machine? I've never seen its like.
Attachments
fasinationa.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Unknown Fascination machine?

Post by coppinpr »

I've asked the owner for more details if possible, he says it is a greyhound racing theme featuring Mick the Miller, so early '30s. He also says there is a plate marked "patent pending 3217". Is that searchable?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, I saw the number, but don't know any way of searching historical pending patents. Presumably if it was granted, the number stays the same. There is a patent number 3217 in our database granted to D Thomas for a spinner, in 1908, but the game above looks circa 1930s.

Never seen one. Not exactly beautiful, but certainly curious, and it's always interesting to see another oddball, unknown British game.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pennymachines wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 pm Presumably if it was granted, the number stays the same.
I don't think that's what happened PM. I've searched many Patent Application numbers listed on machines and advertising and don't remember ever having gotten a hit. Those numbers were likely only published at the time in journals and then forgotten, either the invention failed to receive a Patent or the actual Patent number was then issued. They wouldn't want the same numbers because unscrupulous inventors would only apply, put the number on the machine and leave it at that to scare others away. Many times I found Application numbers like this (12345/19), the last two digits being the year the application was made, so at least they gave up that piece of information.

I imagine the machine is by SS Automatic Machine Co, Coventry, very short lived with three other games listed all 1937. As in Braithwaite Arcades book page 90.

Note the front casting mold pattern appears to have been made from Masonite sheet with the texture side out as showing in the background sections.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I love these Greyhound Racers. They combine two of my interests.
It's certainly a change from the Clement & Whales/Caille types.
Three 'known' dogs on this one, too.
There MUST be a clue in 'S S', surely?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's interesting Gameswat. I know it's also illegal (unsurprisingly) to stick on a false patent pending notice. I assumed SS referred to the manufacturer, but I didn't think to look it up. !DOH! As Braithwaite observes, "An unfortunate choice of title..." 1937 sounds about right datewise.
brigham

Re: SS Automatic Machine Co. Fascination identified

Post by brigham »

Seeing that there is no indication of the specific game on the casting, I'm inclined to think that the other three games use it as well.
All sightings welcome, as the ornithologists say...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Thanks for the replies. The forum always digs deep. !THUMBS!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It is not a spinner, so wonder what the play is. Very few points of selection, almost as if you should have a preselector. Also it says 'amusement only'. Is it really a gaming machine? And the name does not relate to greyhounds... Maybe if you ever get a picture of the inside, or the instructions card, it may help. !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Some detailed and interesting photos turned up today, and things are................clearer? Tom, is I think, right. The top section is in fact only a selector, a small window in the award card section seems to be the result of a predetermined wheel, much like a "stock broker". The award card says 'amusement only' as the results are predetermined and "you can't gamble on a certainty". Could it be the Greyhound theme is a total red herring added by a later operator to give a very poor play a bit of interest? (What looks like the original award card inside the case would also hint at this). The greyhound payouts have to be operator paid, as the machine only returns one coin on insertion of another coin(?) So there is one certainty: you will lose one coin, at least if you play this machine. Not surprising the company didn't last long with such poor play machines!
Attachments
fas-2a.jpg
fas1a.jpg
fas4a.jpg
fas 3.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ha ha, wondered what the little window was... It may have been greyhounds, but the selector area has been hand painted at some point. Apart from the colours, looks a cool little machine... Is it working?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I love these oddball games. I'm guessing this was one where you bet/played against your buddies. Otherwise, why have different odds (payouts in real life) for the same dog but no differential payout from the machine? Some of the American trade stimulators used the same ruse: look like an amusement machine but serve as a betting venue for the players.

Nice find, Coppinpr.

J Peterson
Doggone in USA
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I believe the machine is working but needs cleaning. Been in the same family for over 50 years.
john t peterson wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:57 pmI'm guessing this was one where you bet/played against your buddies
I can't really see that John, seeing as the order in which the results are going to come up are printed on the award card (as they are on "The Little Stockbroker"). :o
brigham

Post by brigham »

It seems to be a future-pay, fixed-sequence machine like the Little Stockbroker or Corn Exchange.
There MUST be a payout arrangement hidden somewhere.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

brigham wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:16 pm fixed-sequence machine like the Little Stockbroker or Corn Exchange.
Just to clarify Brig, the Essex Corn Exchange and Stock Exchange are not fixed sequence, but totally random future pay.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And just to clarify further, the Bradshaw Little Stockbroker is predetermined, but the Essex Corn Exchange isn't. :lol:
brigham

Post by brigham »

I didn't know that.
I set out to buy a Corn Exchange last year, but took a Bryan's clock instead.
Wish I'd bought it now.
Are there any other fixed-sequence machines known?
(Some of the early Jamieson 'flashers' were.)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Three come to mind: Flying Colours, Hoopers Screen Stars and Essex Dog/Horse/Motorcycle Racer

brigham wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:16 pm There MUST be a payout arrangement hidden somewhere.
I think so too.