Strange instructions on a bandit?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
13rebel

Strange instructions on a bandit?

Post by 13rebel »

Regarding the thread of 'Unusual 1920s Mills machine',in Q and A, gameswat posted photos of two bandits on July 7th 2019 11.10am. On the right hand photo the card on the left reads thus; 'Totalisator. Insert coin in slot and pull handle.Press first control to set wheels revolving'. How would pressing the control/skill stop make this happen then revert to being a skill stop? I can't see any way the kicker, fingers, clock etc would be put on hold until this is pressed. Apart from this, what would be the point of having this arrangement? !PUZZLED!
13rebel

Re: Strange instructions on a bandit?

Post by 13rebel »

Lots of views but no replies to this. I am not a bandit expert but am intrigued by this wording and keen to learn. Could the bandit experts please have a stab at a few guesses as to what it's all about. Thanks.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Rebel, I think it would likely just be some kind of armature stopping the fan blade, which is activated via the #1 button, then it won't reactivate until the next arm pull. The skill stop would then work as a stop. Not sure what law would have made this operation needed though?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Rebel, I guess there might have been wording in the specific laws for club machines that the arm pull constituted gambling, so to get around that necessitated coming up with the secondary button to start the machine running? Of course the arm was very hard to remove since all that leverage provided by the user is needed to reset the mech.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Thanks for the reply gameswat. Yes I had figured that the clock fan would have to be stopped but couldn't figure out how this would happen as everything happens so quickly when the handle is pulled. Then reset as a skill stop, reset again for the next coin. I can imagine the mechanics of this could be a potential headache for the operator as it may not be particularly reliable. Perhaps this was often removed. An example might be the machine you posted, but they chose to retain the paperwork? The 'law' ruse seems plausible in view of the various other ruses to dodge the gaming laws.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I never responded as had no idea what they were talking about. These look to be British instructions, not original Mills and I have a few that write utter nonsense on them, which do not relate to the machine operation, the last Extraordinary I worked on had such strange words (will dig out).

Also stopping the clock does not stop the machine function like reels spinning. They will just run out of steam when the fan is released, so what is the purpose? I had assumed the use of the word Totalisator is often used on British converted machines and never seem to relate to anything functional .....Firmans and Bolands seem to use a lot. Look at all the Bolands machines with false stop buttons, that never had any linkages.

My view is it nonsense wording with no purpose.....stand to be corrected of course :cool:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

treefrog wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 am Also stopping the clock does not stop the machine function like reels spinning. They will just run out of steam when the fan is released,
Ahh, yes, on second thought that won't work! '!'
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Thanks TF, if you can dig out that paperwork and post on here it would be appreciated.