Bryans matching number pair Fruitbowl & Clock find new home

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pauljt71

Bryans matching number pair Fruitbowl & Clock find new home

Post by pauljt71 »

I am delighted to become the new custodian of this important matching pair of Bryans Steamline cabinet machines.

They have been serviced and the cabinets waxed and are due to be placed side by side in my Penny Arcade trailer for people to enjoy, just as Bryans intended. 😀

Both machines are believed to be a pair ordered and supplied as new and are numbers 162 and 2162. They have remained together for their whole working life.

I am now very interested in tracing back the history of these machines. On the reverse, I’m assuming, is the details of the original owner: D Ralph. I believe he had a penny arcade in Wales, but have no more information. I also don’t know what the big long number after his name refers to?

If any of you out there have information on these machines please contact me as I would like to produce an accurate history to display next to them.
Attachments
FB50600A-F025-4400-9BFE-3DF341DF1B08a.jpg
5A110EA3-A53F-4A1A-9E3A-A77AE5084447a.jpg
84D60869-E76A-4ACA-917F-6C17AF372380a.jpg
3DB116F4-605D-4724-BC1C-2E0C812B1807a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Bryans matching number pair Fruitbowl & Clock find new home

Post by badpenny »

My first reaction was that my NI number looks somewhat similar.

I'm wondering if it refers to the order number in Bryans ledger or maybe the job number. Especially as (from what I hear) in the declining years there weren't large stock numbers of machines held at the works and possibly they were made to order at the same time just to meet the order.

I seem to remember reading that somebody has access to the order book and ledgers????? Does that mean their antecedents could be traceable?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes, a known collector has the order book. I did see him helping some people out with the history of their machines. Not sure if he uses this forum, but below is a thread to one of the Facebook slot machine groups talking about helping people out.

pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

Thanks Treefrog, will keep you posted on any history I find out.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

A couple of good looking machines pauljt71. It's great that you managed to obtain the pair and keep the continuity of their connection running. I hope you manage to find out more about them. No doubt you will post something if you are successful.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Hi pauljt71. My Bullion came from the same guy, Derek? Ralph and he did indeed have a vintage arcade in Wales.
There's an article on the arcade in one of the old Hand Cranked Pleasures magazines. If you give me a day or two, I'll find it out and scan it.
Attachments
DSCF0864a.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Judging by this old fairground photo, perhaps you ought to be on the lookout for a Beromat. Here the playing score is Beromat two, Bryans Clock nil :#: But I have to agree that the Clocks look great.
Attachments
Arcade machines.jpg
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

special when lit wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:06 pm My Bullion came from the same guy, Derek? Ralph...
Wow that’s fantastic. Fingers crossed I can find some more information out about this chap and his arcade. Will share it with everyone here when I know.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

Now I have a full name I’ve done a quick Google search. It appears that this gentleman still runs Lucky Bells Amusement Parlour, 6 Ambrose Lloyd Centre, Mold, Flintshire, CH7 1NR.

The current gaming license runs until 2027. We’ll have to see if I can find any more information.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

pauljt71 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:27 pm 6 Ambrose Lloyd Centre, Mold, Flintshire, CH7 1NR
That address is a lock up unit at the rear of a disused supermarket. It's where I got my Bullion from.
Search Lucky Bells Arcade on Ebay, as he sometimes posts stuff for sale on there.
Attachments
Scan2ca.jpg
Scan2c1a.jpg
Scan0001a.jpg
Scan0002a.jpg
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

Thank you for sharing the article, it’s great to see. I think that must be my Fruitbowl next to your Bullion!
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

History update!

After much research I am now able to establish that this pair of machines have indeed spent their life together as the “legend“ suggest. They were purchased as a pair by a Mr Greenwick on 22/11/1965.

Sadly no further info as to who he is or where he was based. The search continues.......