Bryans Pendulum - Which Top is Correct?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
mclemore

Bryans Pendulum - Which Top is Correct?

Post by mclemore »

We have a restored and beautifully working Bryans Pendulum machine. Our only question has to deal with the very top of the machine... Should it have a globe, or a panel lighted top to it... We suspect a relatively low panel, and not a globe, but I'm curious who here might be able to help more. Ours has a globe at the moment but likely not original.

Looking through Bolland's archives... the only ad we found for a Bryan's pendulum has the top of the machine cut off, so it's no help :(

There is basically nothing online about the machine except for this page: http://www.melright.com/bryans/bryvend.htm#pendulum

It contains a black and white (no contrast) poor quality scan of what is likely the same ad as we have (but with the top of the machine showing), and it clearly shows a panel on top, and not a globe. Does anyone have any info or a better photo of the top?

Well, just because the top shows the metal work doesn't mean the ad is correct, or that it wasn't a later resell with some work done. Maybe it is though. While most of the other Bryans machines have globes, the other machines are also taller, and what was done on one doesn't mean it was done on another.

???

Thanks

Greg
www.arcade-museum.com
Attachments
pendul01 red.jpg
Walden Goliath.jpg
Walden Goliath.jpg (19.39 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
multi-sided crane.jpg
multi-sided crane.jpg (22.78 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
All Square Wooden Crane.jpg
All Square Wooden Crane.jpg (18.02 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
pendulum bw.jpg
pendulum bw.jpg (25.08 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
Pendulum.jpg
bryans fan

Re: Bryans Pendulum - Which Top is Correct?

Post by bryans fan »

I don't have a better picture than you do, sorry. I do think the round globe to be incorrect though IMO. I would think that a type of lantern top, similar to the top on the All Square metal crane, is a good bet.

Bryans crane Salisbury.JPG

Copy of Flyer3.jpg

Please keep us informed of any progress. Could you post a picture of the restored machine please?

I have posted in the Resources section scans of NOS Operators instructions for the pendulum and the Instruction paperwork.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Pic of a Bryans Walden Goliath Crane, topped with circular based 1930s style Art Deco glass finial lamp in the shape of a flame. I would think in this instance a circular top collar to the 6 sided 'roof' would have been more appropriate. Bryans supplied both circular globe and lantern style cappings for their machines. All Square (wooden) crane cases also had a circular globe fitted.
Take your choice Greg - both could be correct.
Attachments
Walden Goliath.png
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

It is so hard to see from the grainy illustration, what the top looked like. I was just offering the option of a lantern style top, and using the crane picture as an example. It could well have been round rather than square.
I agree with arrgee, the cranes had both globes and flame shaped shades. Unless a better picture, or another example turns up, it's a guessing game. :!?!:
mclemore

Post by mclemore »

We had a globe on ours but the area looked like it had been worked on at some time, so I don't know if it was original. We had thought that the globe was wrong, and that it used either a round or hexagon shaped lantern top like on the all square metal crane (except if not round, hexagon as the pendulum was hexagon shaped).

However... Bryans Fan... your post earlier today: viewtopic.php?f=13&p=60386&t=8096

Included this photo:
Scan_20201126.jpg

See under Wiring Up: "...The Plug Couplings on the top board of the machine, underneath the glass globe..."

So apparently the glass globe was correct, or more likely maybe it was made both ways. Ours does look like it had more than a globe on it originally.

I did a patent search, and found 17 Bryan's patents, but none of them are related to the Pendulum, and all 3 application numbers listed on the above image led me nowhere. I'm guessing that they didn't actually lead to patents or ??