BMR bandit - cleaning and parts questions

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
strikeguy

BMR bandit - cleaning and parts questions

Post by strikeguy »

Hello everyone. I am new to all of this. So please have patience as I learn. I recently bought this machine and know nothing about it and very little about slot machines. I bought this in the three pieces as you can see them. The machine itself does work. However the handle is bent very badly. Is there a place I can buy a new chrome handle ? As is it will not slide into the cabinet. And it is really dirty. How is the best way to clean and re oil the machine ? About me, I am state side. California, USA. Not planning on selling the machine but wondering if there is a rough value as is and once cleaned up ? I do think the machine and lower cabinet have been re painted a number of times, all poor quality work. Dennis
Attachments
slot-machine-2a.jpg
slot-machine-1a.jpg
slot-machine-4a.jpg
slot-machine-3a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Cleaning and Parts Questions

Post by treefrog »

Hello Dennis and welcome. !!CHEERS!!

What a machine to get hold of and yes it has had a paint job. These machines had old racing car themes on the reels, Brooklands and obviously been given a paint job.

If you look at below thread you will see lots of info on the BMR machines, very well built and heavy. I have not owned this model, but others I know of here have a few. Not seen a half size cabinet before, they are normally floor standing

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5953&hilit=Brecknell+Munro
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi Dennis, glad to have you on board sir.

What a surprise and no mistake. Fancy one of those turning up on your side of the moon!
They're heavy and no mistake, I nearly got a hernia years ago, moving one of those to get at a Jennings Victoria behind.

You're cutting your teeth on a complicated but extremely robust machine there. Values are very uneven at the moment, some rubbish is attracting stupid prices, it's all quite meaningless really.
Regarding the handle, I recommend you do a bit of research via the pages TF pointed you too above and visit your local friendly engineering shop to have yours straightened or reworked.

I hope you save it, it might just be more popular over here, but I'd love to know how and when it popped next to you.

BP :cool:
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

As for cleaning, there is no substitute for dismantling, degreasing and treating the rust. (I like Evaporust but there are alternatives including good old sandpaper for large parts.)

Take lots of photos while dismantling as it is so easy to forget where parts go. !!RANT!!

Then it's a case of re-oiling as you rebuild. Use a quality oil sparingly and avoid grease as it tends to dry out and clog the mechanism.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

what a find! I've always wanted the console version(below) but far to big(and heavy) for me,
brooklands console1.jpg
brooklands console1.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 3100 times

now one like yours would suit me fine :lol:
All good advice above, not the easiest of slot mechs to start with but a masterpiece of engineering , oil very lightly and never oil any part that touches a coin. What coin does it take? if you're interested in the company history you can find the details here https://www.penny-arcade.info/-the-bdr-bmr-collection

this what the reel strip symbols should look like
card 2 finished sized 2.jpg

card1 finished.jpg

reels basic.jpg

strikeguy

Re: BMR bandit - cleaning and parts questions

Post by strikeguy »

Wow, what a great group. I was hoping for maybe if lucky one reply. And you came through with a number of great replies and information. This is certainly going to take some time to clean and re assemble to a complete machine.

A friend does a lot of metal welding and such so I will see if we can heat and straighten the handle. I would rather see about buying a nice new one but I expect that is out of the realm of possibilities.

Since I am in the states I am used to seeing the reals at a vertical position. This caught my attention because the reals are horizontal. And everything sees to work with dry or no USA quarters being used. I just I should try using a few quarters.

In looking at the reals they are the red, white and blue colors. And the cabinet is red and blue. With the bottom cabinet all blue. Does anyone know if there were the factory colors ? It looks like a careless re paint job. And the lower cabinet/stand has a decal of an eagle. Was this original ?

Thank you all once again,
Dennis
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The only colour I've seen them Dennis is the green as in the photo coppin posted above.
However don't take that as gospel as I'm usually wrong and simply can't be trusted you know.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

BMR and BDR machines are great machines. A mechanism like no other, British designed and built and will last for an eternity, very over engineered compared to the usual vertical wheel mechanisms. I stripped mine down to bare components and it’s quite easy to do, just lots of nuts and bolts really. Take loads of photos though.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

In looking at the reals they are the red, white and blue colors. And the cabinet is red and blue. With the bottom cabinet all blue. Does anyone know if there were the factory colors ? It looks like a careless re paint job. And the lower cabinet/stand has a decal of an eagle. Was this original?
Definitely not the original colours, they did use a blue on other machines I think(see photo) but not on these, the reels also definitely not original, you can find these reels with fruits (and odd ones at that like bananas and pears) but once again I've never seen them on this model. The eagle is also not original but the close up you posted hints that there was perhaps a "Brooklands" round logo at that point. There was at least one other colour scheme used on this machine, black and cream(see the second photo) For my money its worth returning to the original theme,it would be a show stopper in the USA. :o
brook2.JPG
brook2.JPG (35.83 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

bdr 4.jpg
bdr 4.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Strike, like many British slot machines that have turned up in the USA this has been converted to suit your market most likely in the late 1970's or early 80's. At the time the market was booming and little information about these imports was available. Usually the conversions were done poorly just to make quick returns to unknowing buyers, hence the much earlier era quarter casting on yours. Which looks stupidly out of place on a later modernist machine. Rarely did they bother converting Allwins since these were nothing like US machines.