Later Mills slots

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Later Mills slots

Post by treefrog »

I have seen different later variants of Mills slots at auctions and on this forum, but am unclear what the last production models that Mills actually made were and whether these later machines were actually companies using the Mills name. Some of these use oringinal Mills/Sega mechanisms or close copies. Does anyone know the history around these. I had always assumed that the Hi Top or Early Lite Up machines were last final machines produced before Sega took over.

I recently bought one on ebay (I am sure you saw this) which is actually a very presentable machine, very well built with a solid wood laminate cabinet and more chrome than a Jennings Govenor. The mechanism is very similar to a mills/sega, but has no mlb or sega number markings.

There are two more Mills variants, I assume made by the same company as my as the cash trays are identical with the dual ashtrays built in. These though are electromechanical, where as mine is completely mechanical.

Any information would be appreciated as I have assumed these are British built variant using the Mills name (even the owl logo)
Attachments
Mills Electro Mechanical on Ebay
Mills Electro Mechanical on Ebay
CIMG0929.JPG
CIMG0926.JPG
malcymal

Re: Later Mills slots

Post by malcymal »

I can't give you the answer to this, but all I can say is that the photo image at the top has little images on thin soft plastic discs on the first reel (I assume this is a certain payout when a feature is met for so many spins). I had practically the same looking discs on my Sega lookalikey that seemed to be held on just by suction (bit like a tax disc holder on car windscreen). They were easily removed as the feature mech had been removed. I was told by a slotty on here, that machine was made by Berkeley, British. It looks like a Sega, plays like a Sega, has the same inners as a Sega but just made by somebody else. Maybe Berkeley used the badges... I am clutching at straws. But I've seen a whole cluster of Berkeleys on ebay, at least a dozen now that have these soft plastic image discs on the first reel on some sort of random payout when Feature is lit. There was a post on Pennymachines not so long back showing the Mills name on an Aristocrat type machine: Weird MILLS on Ebay
Be interested to know like yourself. Malc
P.S. incidentally that image of the bottom machine you show, has the sevens over the reels - my machine has identical sevens on the reel strips.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I believe the symbols you are talking about are what are called "Midas" feature, which typically on some machines would provide bonus wins during a period when normally a light is lit indicating that hitting a Midas feature got that bonus. I have this feature on a Sega High Top, but all the components to support had been removed, which I assume would be electro mechanical.

This may well prove these machines were produced by Sega, but continued to take advantage of the Mills name. The bottom machine is the one I have and the locks are a Ruffler and Walker top lock and an original Mills barrel lock for the lower door.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

tree-frog wrote:I believe the symbols you are talking about are what are called "Midas" feature, which typically on some machines would provide bonus wins during a period when normally a light is lit indicating that hitting a Midas feature got that bonus. I have this feature on a Sega High Top, but all the components to support had been removed, which I assume would be electro mechanical.

This may well prove these machines were produced by Sega, but continued to take advantage of the Mills name. The bottom machine is the one I have and the locks are a Ruffler and Walker top lock and an original Mills barrel lock for the lower door.
My latest basket case project is a Sega Continental with Special Award Token paid when lit for chequered flag on first reel - so a Midas feature as you call it. The only trace of electrics left is some sort of kicker motor attached to some levers that link to the special award payout slide. The other machine, the Berkeley, has a payout tickler left at the top that looks like it was attached to some sort of motor too. I would be very interested if anybody knows the electrical schematics on these Midas features, so us guys could reintroduce it to our renovations.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've come across these special features several times, usually in the shape of a devil, and retrofitted on machines as early as Hi-tops with oak sides.

They've always been electro mechanical and as such I have taken pride in removing them and dancing on the nasty collections of solenoids, levers and stepper motors whilst taking pride in returning the mechanical mech. to being just that.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Badpenny wrote:I've come across these special features several times, usually in the shape of a devil, and retrofitted on machines as early as Hi-tops with oak sides.

They've always been electro mechanical and as such I have taken pride in removing them and dancing on the nasty collections of solenoids, levers and stepper motors whilst taking pride in returning the mechanical mech. to being just that.
So I guess you won't have schematics then :cool: chuckle....
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sorry about that outburst ............. this morning's tablets hadn't kicked in.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Sega (SErvice GAmes) was originally a distributor/operator specializing in supplying machines to American forces overseas bases. They signed an agreement with Mills some time around 1960 to manufacture their own parts and mechanisms - though not cabinets - to Mills drawings, and both lines were running at the same time for several years. Mills made several new front-opening machines after the Hi-Top, but they were unable to sell against Bally in the USA after 1965 so most of these were just for the British market, and since they were paying American wages they couldn't compete on cost with the Japanese-made Segas. Bell Fruit bought the tooling in about 1968 when Mills (or TJM as it was by then) finally closed.

Now a mechanical Bell Fruit, that would be a treasure if you could find one. A few were made, but the British market was already going electric and it was too late.
simzee47

Post by simzee47 »

Hi Guys,
Just read these postings. Seeing someone mention the "7's" on the reels, my Lord Sega has these "7's" as well. When you get 3 "7's" it pays out 20. A bit like a jackpot I suppose.
Dave