rockola world's fair

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
longbobongo

rockola world's fair

Post by longbobongo »

Hi Guys

What are your thoughts on a Rockola world's fair - is it a fun game?

I have the chance of buying one in very nice condition, not what I call a bargain so I'm in 2 minds to buy it.

Any thoughts, how much they go for these days.

mmmm tempting...... :???:

Cheers.
ilovemyjukebox

Re: rockola world's fair

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I might be interested if you decide to pass on it..

Depending of course on the cost...

Thanks
rippyspennyarcade

Post by rippyspennyarcade »

I actually own a Rock Ola 1933 Worlds Fair Jigsaw (I assume this is what you are talking about). Let me tell you, the game is SUPERB! 10 balls for 1d and a different game every time. Be interesting to know how much he wants for it. Let us know... But, these RARELY turn up for sale in NICE condition - my advice is GET IN QUICK, before someone else snaps it up. Keep us posted on this one.

See videos in 1930s pinball - Site Admin
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

After a little research on the net, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Great game 10 balls for 1D. Also it's nice to have a machine that's different to a Allwin or slot machine And the ball lift mechanism is a work of a genius. The machine looks all original and clean inside. It is missing the legs and back plate which seems to be the norm.

I was thinking about buying it holding it for a few months and selling the game if I didn't like it, but I must say this is a keeper. All I need now is to see its brother the World Series. Anyone have one, is the game as fun?

Anyone else on the group have any Rock ola games.......

Cheers
Craig
SL272445 [1024x768].JPG

SL272448 [1024x768].JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Craig,

Congratulations on your purchase - looks like a nice example.
Years ago I wrote an article on Rockola pintables - I must get around to posting it in the Arena.
They made a really interesting selection of innovative games before they turned their attention to jukeboxes.
The World Series is an even better game than the World's Fair (in my opinion) but not as visually appealing and much harder to find in the UK - presumably because baseball never had mass public appeal here. Unlike the Jigsaw, where you count the flipped pieces to tot up your score, on the World Series your score is indicated by the number of balls (representing runs) in the dugout at the end of play. Balls are recycled into play until you hit three outs.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Yeah, the World Series Baseball is a much more exciting game to play, though I'm also a fan of the Jigsaw. While the World Series might be a rarity in the UK you should be on the lookout for the export example they made called "Pleasure Island". The same game as World Series only with a theme and artwork to suit the UK and possibly Australia. http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/ ... %20Island/
So far this is the only example and it emigrated from the UK to Aust and then to the US with its former owner. The card on the game says "1 CENT 3 BALLS " so maybe this one was a sample tested in the US but later sold to the UK????
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I'm lucky enough to own a World Series (along with a couple more pre-war flipperless pins) and its game-play is far superior to anything of that era...
I would love a Jigsaw/World Fair ,so if you happen to come across another one please let me know...
They also made an Army V Navy which is mega rare.
Well done on your purchase. I am very envious.

Dave
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

Hi Penny Machines, definitely upload your article to the Arena, it will be an interesting read.

I'm on the lookout now for a World Series after watching youtube videos. Does anyone know of any that have changed hands at auction or on ebay? As I don't think I've ever seen any for sale.

See you all at the auction.