Article in the Independent

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Article in the Independent

Post by treefrog »

Came across this interesting article in the Independent from 1995.....It is mainly based around the low numbers of people interested in collecting vending slots at the time, compared to gaming and amusement machines collectors. It is quite interesting that the estimates given at that time I am sure these are similar to today's prices.....let's hope this changes longer term. I wonder if some of the collectors mentioned are still around.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 18394.html
ilovemyjukebox

Re: Article in the Independent

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

Big Dave most certainly is and is probably a member of this group.. I was lucky enough to buy a crane from him last year
and he showed me his fantastic collection of coin operated equipment...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's not just vending machine prices that haven't changed very much since then. With the exception of some obvious quality, highly sought after machines a lot of slots today are still not far from the prices asked in the mid 90s.
Good in some respects - not in others !!UHOH!!
grabber

Post by grabber »

1995 was a long time ago.
When are they going to do the next article?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Badpenny wrote: With the exception of some obvious quality, highly sought after machines a lot of slots today are still not far from the prices asked in the mid 90s.
Wish I could say even that about the TV I bought back then; it just wasn't the investment I'd hoped for !PUZZLED! But seriously, it all carries just the same twists and turns as anything else in life, so it comes down to the small print 'your investment can go down as well as up'...and really, are you buying to enjoy or in the expectation that it will go all up.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

if only there was a time machine and go back to 1971 when alot of penny machines got smashed up !!IDEA!! or go back to steve hunts auctions in their hey day, saying that the coventry ones are good
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Funny thing is, I genuinely do not think of my hobby (or obsession) as an investment. This is often proved by the ridiculous purchases I sometimes make. I suppose the most we want is not to lose out too much. I do wonder though who the next collectors will be. I only got into this two years ago, but had always been interested in slots since a kid and am not from the microprocessor age. Most youngsters today have never touched a mechanical amusement machine, having said that I am sure there will always be a interest in nostalgia side of things.

Also what drives these things is fashion. During the 90's and noughties was minimalism. A manky old wooden slot or tacky chrome bandit would have been out of place in most up and coming homes. What happens when an interest in fifties nostalgia comes back and it surely will.....these things turn round every decade or so.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

tree-frog wrote: I only got into this two years ago, but had always been interested in slots since a kid and am not from the microprocessor age.

My what a busy frog you have been in two years! I recall reading in the New Years post " What now ?" that you had reached 50 machines.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

What now ?" that you had reached 50 machines
Perhaps a larger lilly pad to display and store them !!THUMBSX2!!