Help buying Hi Top

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jedny

Help buying Hi Top

Post by jedny »

Hi all,
I'm a total novice and I'm wanting to buy my first machine, but can't seem to find anywhere to see or purchase one apart from Henry powell and eBay :!?!:
I'm looking for a Mills or a Jennings, but being a newbie I'm concerned about paying over the odds as I don't really know how much to pay. I'm not looking to restore and would like the finished article if possible.
Thanks for any replies !THUMBS!
bandito

Re: Please help

Post by bandito »

Hi there, the price you can expect to pay will vary by which model of machine you are looking to purchase and not just the manufacturer. Is there a certain model you have a preference for?
jedny

Post by jedny »

Hi All
I'm looking for a Mills High Top but would rather have one with jackpot and if poss one that is in good shape and has the dagger arm etc. or the Jennings Governor, again in good nick. Is there anywhere online that I can see or purchase one, as travelling to see one is difficult due to work commitments and I also live in the "sticks" so to speak.

Thx.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi jedny and welcome to the site. If you tell us where you are and how far you're prepared to travel we may be able to make some suggestions or fellow collectors within your area may contact you with offers or suggestions.

Most of us don't like agreeing to buying without seeing first so the Coventry auction is always a prime source (but I would say that wouldn't I?)

I returned last night from a 500 mile return trip to pick up 2 machines that I particularly desired. You need to build up your network of trusted and helpful friends within the hobby. It won't take long. Good luck. :cool:
jedny

Post by jedny »

Thanks for the speedy reply.
I live in Cumbria so a tad isolated as far as travelling is concerned. I've seen a few on eBay but carriage always seems to be an issue.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

You're right, when you first start out and don't know anyone, carriage seems daunting but in fact it's not. As long as you're looking North, South and not so much Wales or the West Country, costs for a Hi-Top should be about £35. Seeing as you're going to be talking between £400 and £800 for the machines you want, the carriage isn't so bad, so don't let that put you off a good machine. Also, I'm sure some of the guys on the forum (inc. me) would travel a few miles to check out a machine for you before you bought it. I'm sure one of us would be close to it whereever it was. If you see something you like, first step would be post photos of inside and out on the forum. Let the guys pick it to pieces, then if it looks good, try and get a viewing.
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

Hi Jedny,
I too have just started collecting again after around 20 years! Accidentally really! I bumped into a Jennings Governor tic tac toe in a friend's antique shop and just had to have it. Since then, the bug has returned and I've bought several more machines in the past 3 months. I like to restore Mills machines mainly and too find it difficult to travel, the often 200+ miles to Essex or Kent etc. I'm in Manchester myself, so if you're in the area let me know and you can visit the collection so far!
jedny

Post by jedny »

Hi all
I'm still trying, to no avail, to buy a Mills Hi Top with jackpot but can't find one on eBay and don't know where else to look.
I've seen the one on HP shop and like the look of number 18 but would want it to be converted to 20p as well and a dagger arm fitted and delivered, but tbh, don't have the 1k plus it will cost. Does anyone else have something similar for sale? Main requirements are:
Cream or black in colour
Jackpot if poss
Light oak effect
Converted to 10/20/50p etc., reasons behind this!
I'm not sure if this machine exists, but I can only ask and hope someone has something along these lines and as it's my first I'm trying to get the right one but a bit difficult tbh.
Here's hoping folks,

Thx all.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am afraid as your needs are very specific you would need to buy from someone like Henry Powell or Terrence Powell who rebuild old bandits and also do them on modern coinage or wait for one of their conversions to turn up. There may be someone here with one for sale you never know... I would also consider the Sega Hi Tops, which are just as good or better (newer and more reliable).
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I agree, your requirements are a bit too demanding, not the least because whereas it's always, strictly speaking, against the law to sell a slot machine to someone if the seller has no licence (not that we take much notice of that to be honest), it is much more against the law to sell a machine that runs on existing coinage as they can clearly be used for financial gain. I do have the Mills pictured below for sale in Mills 1950s 'Deuces wild' paint job, with JP and escalator, running (as it should) on 6d, if it's any good to you. If so, PM me.
Attachments
hi-top yellow.jpg
hi-top yellow.jpg (57.55 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
jedny

Re: Help buying Hi Top

Post by jedny »

Hey
Wow your machine looks fantastic !!THUMBSX2!!
Sadly for me to get my first machine I've also got to please her who should be obeyed. Hence my requirements are quite specific, as in matching other stuff in the room. I spoke to someone who is going to custom make me one to my (her) requirements etc. and hopefully just the start :-)
Must admit though, your machine is my kinda machine. Looks superb.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well your requirements may have been answered, a white/cream coloured Hi Top restored (Probably ex Henry Powell) is on ebay at the moment, no dagger handle, but on modern coinage and far less than his retail prices, should please the other half

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260940670733? ... 500wt_1202
Attachments
white hi top.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Not sure about this machine without a closer look. I think no escalator and I suspect no jackpot unit. He says pays £4 jackpot and I think the coins showing in the JP area are just for show. Also those reels!! Not only nasty but what's with them, they look to be one solid mass. Must just be just the photo surely. Anyway, I live in Sussex, so I might be able to go along and take a look if you're interested in the machine.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Just asked the guy about the JP and he says no JP unit in that machine.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The escalator is a Shefras type and yes it is a false jackpot, the £4 is based on the 3 x bars, so 20 x 20p = £4 :burp:
If I were buying, I would want to see pictures of the mech and sides, eg are they wood or chipboard as the castings are for the Mill-O-Matic machine, usually with chipboard sides and base. Also it has been known to sneek a Jubilee mech into these :tut
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Now you've pointed them out those reels are really odd. I've tried enlarging the image but still can't see any joins, it's got to be the picture.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Now I know this sounds crazy, but could those reels actually be one solid reel with fixed payouts around the cycle? What makes me wonder, is the lack of spaces between the reels and that two winning lines are showing in the picture!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Whaaat :!: , single reel, before you get all too excited, there are three standard reels, the Mill-O-Matic like the Sega Hi Tops had coloured (White) panels separating each reel. The issue is the strips on this machine is also white, see a similar machine I have with black strips....There were also horizontal black lines to draw out the payout window.....
Attachments
19a.JPG
19a.JPG (16.37 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
raj

Post by raj »

regarding the reels, I think the original glass has had the silver reel verticals removed & replaced with white, outlined with black, which doesn't really work with white reel strips and the white front casting. !EHEH!
It's a shame the original alloy coin button & owl sign have been removed & replaced with copied decals, plus the Shifras escalator & fake jackpot etc etc really don't do the hours spent on the bandit justice. :cry:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You know when your hobby has become too much of a sad obsession when one can profess the variances of models of a machine produced in their thousands, I wonder if I am turning into the bloke shown on channel 4 "obsessive collecting disorder" where he had two houses stacked to the ceiling with newspapers in every room and a garden full of junk and the neighbours in their tranquil surrey picture village were trying to get him to clean up his act, well my neighbours are ok with me at the moment, but it won't be long.,

So of the 25 hi tops I have, about 4 are Mill-O-Matics with the wide plastic award strips, painted as per the machine above reel window with black lines, the award holes are actual holes, not the same as a normal mills or sega badge. They have a plastic square display of the Mill-O-Matic insignia and award value attached from behind. Many of these plastic inserts replicas have been sold at the Coventry auction over the last 3 years, as they do fade. The other key identity on these is the Mills plate, which always has a ® symbol after the Mills name

This machine looks genuine to me, it is just a case of whether the mechanism is a real Mills or not, easy to change the escalator.