The ones that got away

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
andydotp

The ones that got away

Post by andydotp »

Dear Moderator/s,
I dunno how to start a new thread but may I suggest something like 'the ones that got away' - converse to 'fantastic finds'?

Topic split and labelled as requested. To start new thread click + New button to left of = Reply button - site admin.

Having grown up near Rhyl & Prestatyn in N.Wales in the 60s/70s I'd hang out in Webbers' & Parkers arcades and worked for 2yrs as key boy in Playland and The Golden Goose on Rhyl fairground.
We took delivery of a bunch of latest Bally, Gottleib & Williams pinnies so the older 'junkers' were taken (under direct instruction) to Rhyl tip and sledge-hammered to smithereens - stop anyone else having them..OMG!!!!

And some younger kids at Prestatyn High sneaked in to an out-building behind a hotel near Prezzy rwy stn and dragged out an old High Top. Smashed it up in the park looking for pennies!! Reckoned there were about forty in there!!!! This was just after decimalisation and the Bally electro-mechanicals had taken over.. Wonder what ever happened to them?? Maybe they're still there??

Highest bidder gets the google earth map of the shed....
Andy.
andydotp

Re: The ones that got away

Post by andydotp »

Hey thanks Admin,

Re: my above post, I meant about forty High Tops - not forty pennies in the machine the kids grabbed.
FORTY-odd High Tops.........!!!! Only our fellow collector Jingle finds them in that kind of quantity..clever lad!!
Oh and I bought a Bryans Payramid for Two Pounds Fifty in the eighties and sold it for twenty quid when I migrated to Oz in '92. Absolutely Spewing 'bout that! :(
Laters,
Andy.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Ahh, That makes sense now. I was trying to work out why I would want 40 old pennies and a map to find a shed! Talking about Payramid's, one came up totally mis-described on Ebay.com and with only one bid on it it sold to a well known UK collector for £250. How long ago did this happen? 2010! Sadly, I was not the buyer!

:dammit:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Cheeky wrote:Talking about Payramid's, one came up totally mis-described on Ebay.com and with only one bid on it it sold to a well known UK collector for £250.
Are you three weeks early? 1st April and all that....
Know the ebay number just to depress us? !!SUICIDAL!!
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Good banter Cheeky, Tree-Frog,
Yes, my bad grammar, apols..
Maybe the payramid on ebay was badly described and slipped under the radar? Would've paid double (for a good one) and flown it to Oz.
Cheers,
Andy.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

tree-frog wrote:Know the ebay number just to depress us?
Yes sadly, it is true. I can't give you the number because it was two years ago. The description was so off the wall that I don't know how the buyer found it. The only reason I knew about it was because the same guy sold me a machine and on checking his feedback....... well the rest is history! :dammit:

Fortunately, I didn't buy his Payramid! :D
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Amazing isn't it how some folk simply have no idea what they own. Guess it happens across all collecting hobbies though.
Any other members got a tale of woe to post?
Cheers,
Andy.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

At the risk of being a tease, (and I am being one, make no mistake,) my article "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" will be in Mechanical Memories Magazine fairly soon. (You DO subscribe, don't you?) It's taken me several years to calm down about this particular transaction and put pen to paper. You will most likely see a machine not seen before as well as hear a story that will strike a familiar chord to all collectors. Still time to subscribe.

J Peterson
Your American devotee
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Thanks John,
Shall Google their site and have a look at subscribing.
Regards,
Andy.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Here you go Andy, save you the trouble http://www.mechanicalmemoriesmagazine.webeden.co.uk/#
You have no excuse now :lol:
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks for the plug Stuart! !THUMBS!

I should say that the site isn't entirely finished yet, and does look a bit messy in places! I haven't yet sorted out the domain name either (although it will work with the above link). However, the 'BUY NOW' buttons on the 'SUBSCRIBE' page do work - so please click away!

Jerry
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

My latest offering, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" has now been shipped off to the fine people at Mechanical Memories Machines. I do not know their article backlog but I believe it safe to say you will be able to read it in the next issue or two. It's a tale of love, loss and regret. If you participate in the new frontier called cyberspace, you will identify with my heartbreak.

J Peterson
Your American Cyber Gunslinger
JC

Post by JC »

Well, I've searched high and low for those fine people at MMM but I can't find them anywhere, so I'll just have to reply on their behalf. At the moment, John's story is planned for the May issue, and possibly June too............
it's a long story!