$40,000 and reserve not met yet !!!

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

$40,000 and reserve not met yet !!!

Post by coppinpr »

Well i guess this slot puts all the others in the shade, mech marked 001 as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251022258218? ... 500wt_1413
Attachments
$(KGrHqRHJE!E88YlIO89BPZ-NUsn8g~~60_3.JPG
gameswat

Re: $40,000 and reserve not met yet !!!

Post by gameswat »

Amazingly enough I've seen this machine in person and played it. I certainly don't value it as highly as the seller does or the handful of other collectors that have pushed the value up to this point. I think that as the older collectors disappear from the hobby we'll see these prices drop on a number of the high end Victorian machines. Personally I find most of these Victorian era machines too frilly and ornate for my taste, as do a number of the younger people I deal with. I have seen a handful of floor model gambling machines that I really liked, but usually the less expensive models that were hence quite restrained and therefore elegant. I guess it has to do with the times in which I grew up -1970s and '80s. I really prefer modernist and deco style. A classic example would be the tin case Mutoscopes. The big models were mostly re-cycled mechs from the original cast iron clamshells then rehoused into the sleek modern cabinets in the 20's. So to me these have everything going for them, early history with the mechs dating to 1899/1900, and then the sexy sleek cabinets that still look great to this day. I really don't like the clamshell muto design at all, way too over the top and heavy handed design - gaudy in fact, they look like they belong in a turn of the century brothel!!
toibs

Post by toibs »

The reserve is very low on this upright, but it is not free. These sell for $120K-$160K
Makes my quest to find one arm bandits around the £100 mark look completely inconsequential and pointless!!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Gameswat wrote: - gaudy in fact, they look like they belong in a turn of the century brothel!!

I know nothing me, I haven't even been in a modern brothel! :#:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Makes my quest to find one arm bandits around the £100 mark look completely inconsequential and pointless!!!
Ha, I've often thought the same thing, especially when visiting million dollar collections. But I have to say that particularly in the US a lot of people here get quite blase because of the staggering number of things to choose from. In Aust if pretty much anything turns up we get excited. Luckily for most of us excitement has no price tag. In fact I like having a small budget because it forces me to be creative (occasionally against my will!) but I really do like that at the end of the day. Also forces me to rationalise my stuff quite often as I have to make money to keep buying and living! In that order I might add. With deep pockets it can sometimes be too easy. I have to use my wits to pick up the crumbs that fall through the cracks. It's also why I became a restorer, because I wanted rare machines in lovely working condition and couldn't afford them like that. Another thing is that just because some collectors can afford expensive toys doesn't automatically mean they have good taste or know how to fix and restore the stuff. So cheers for the little guys.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

badpenny wrote:I know nothing me, I haven't even been in a modern brothel! :#:
Come and visit me in Nevada, BP - we'll make a man of you. We occasionally see bandits come up for auction here that not only come from a brothel, but they have the custom glass and toppers to prove it.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Gameswat wrote: Another thing is that just because some collectors can afford expensive toys doesn't automatically mean they have good taste or know how to fix and restore the stuff. So cheers for the little guys.
I couldn't agree more. People buy these things as investments, not because they appreciate them. I see the same machines show up at Nevada auctions time after time, changing hands for six figure sums, but it's always dealers that buy them - I never see an actual collector put his hand up.