So many questions....

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Re: So many questions....

Post by coppinpr »

No, actually I've had them some time. I bought a Golden Falls and a friend bought a machine from the same guy and we bought 5 hardwood stands at the same time, cheap... ish.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Those Scatterbrains are big old things, when I went to the Fieldings auction last year there was one there, it reminds me of some of the larger Bally's, where the mechanism looks tiny inside the case. I chose not to bid on it and from memory no one did, but I guess someone bought it as it sold for 20 quid......

They are electro mechanical and guess have hoppers for the larger payout, not for me, but I guess if you have the space its ok. It is a bit like the Sega floor standing units like the Buckingham, I am often tempted but just don't have the room.

I wonder what the little red light on the top is for !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Actually the Scatterbrain is a bit of a surprise inside. It's almost all mechanical. The coin drop is a simple coin past a switch but, other than that, only the jackpot and the change giver have any electrical parts. The jackpot is very interesting; no hopper, 5 hand filled coin tubes one of which dumps the jackpot as the result of the mechanical top finger moving forward as a result of it moving forward in the usual mechanical manner only instead of releasing the jackpot slide it hits a switch firing the jackpot solenoid once, advancing a cam one position and dumping one tube. The next time the jackpot comes up, the cam dumps the second tube so the jackpot only need refilling every 5 jackpot payouts. The red light comes on after the last JP tube empties. The change giver is also a mechanical operation fired by one pulse of a solenoid. You put in a 50p piece and a solenoid at the back of the mech (only there for that reason) fires the normal mechanical payout slides dispensing 5 X 10p. Lots of lights but very little electro action. I guess an attempt to use outgoing mechanical mechs in a fast advancing electro age. I like it much more than I expected to. It's big though, influenced by the Bally of the time I suspect.
Attachments
machine.jpg
machine.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 65 times
jp1.jpg
jp1.jpg (58.06 KiB) Viewed 65 times
jp2.jpg
jp2.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 65 times
mech.jpg
mech.jpg (79.1 KiB) Viewed 65 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ah so that is what the red light is for, very interesting Jackpot, although I am surprised they didn't have a coin feed from the overflow to fill up, unless the jackpot is a different coinage, probably one of the last mechanical Aristocrats.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

I can't recall from my Rhyl fairground days (when we ran a bunch of Arcadians) but those reel symbols are very close. It suggests a 20+ stop mech,,,,,,,,,,, my memory must be failing me !PUNISH!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Ah so that is what the red light is for, very interesting Jackpot, although I am surprised they didn't have a coin feed from the overflow to fill up, unless the jackpot is a different coinage, probably one of the last mechanical Aristocrats
Yes the jp is actually shaped to take the old 50p, would have been a quite a thrill in those days when almost 50 X 50p came crashing out in one great crash!
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

So, a 25 quid jp would suggest 20+ reels then - assuming it's on what? 10p play?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes, a 20 stop machine and a good payer, what Vegas would call a "loose slot". Always sounds a little rude to me.
I've finished the Scatterbrain now. All it needed was a good service and the payout/change cards renewing,. It really is in mint condition, lots of chrome and not a mark on any of it. As usual with late Aristos the reels are in perfect condition with no wear and the mech looks brand new. Came with its own original stand and 200 old 10p. I'd actually like to keep it, but no room so it's going back on ebay at the weekend. Just want to cover my costs. It was well worth a look.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Another oldie restored, well done coppinpr. **xXx**
You confirm 20 stop mech but I believe Aristocrats went to 22 or 25 stops... just had me thinking, that's all.
Cheers.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Out of interest, how close is the old 10p size to the new £2.00 coin width and diameter?
toibs

Post by toibs »

Old 10P :
10p 1968 - 1992
28.5mm Diameter 1.85mm Thickness - Made from 75% copper and 25% nickel. The edge is milled.

With the £2 coin things get interesting...
£2 1986 - 1996
28.4mm Diameter 3.1mm Thickness 6.5 grams and are made from 70% copper, 24.5% zinc and 5.5% nickel. The edge is milled with incuse lettering. Due to them being issued as commemoratives, circulation of these coins is uncommon.

£2 1997 -
28.4mm Diameter 2.5mm Thickness 12 grams and are bimetal made from 76% copper, 20% zinc and 4% nickel in the outer ring, and the centre is 25% nickel and 75% copper. The edge is milled with incuse lettering.

Thickness will be your issue.....(as is mine most of the time, especially on a Monday before the first coffee...) ;)
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Yes, I hear thickness is key :tut Carry on Matron... Put this question into the equation, as I notice Powell's conversions to £2 play and assumed they do this based upon the old 10p mech and a configuration of the higher payout slides to accommodate the £2. Rarely get £2 coins in the pocket these days, I think people must collect them, hence not many in circulation. See there is a hopper driven quad reel Aristocrat Regal on fleabay at the moment with 500 old 10p payout. On a £2 coin that's a massive £1k payout, that is, if they would work.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It is very easy to convert a hopper based machine on the thickness side and that nice quad reel 10p machine (same one used in the Faulty towers bar) could be converted to £2 fairly easily. I have a Kingsway Quadreel already converted to 20p, previously on old 5p.

As you all know, slides are a different story....as you say Mr Powell must make these for modern coinage so may sell all the bits, slides, posts, horizontal guide, also the actual coin acceptor would need adjusting to accept the thicker coin.