American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
bamsefar1

Re: Bradley Challenger and variants

Postby bamsefar1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:21 am

Bought 2 of those locks yesterday.
Great advice again. Thanks.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:27 am

Just restoring one of my Challengers and need some clarrification please. Both are missing the inner glass and seem to have had it gone a long time. Appears to me that the wood two side rails painted silver have a notch cut into them to hold a thin sheet of glass which stops the pennies moving too far forward and jamming. But with the machine set up the way it was the rotating centre wheel will jam on the glass if I do this? The other machine has had those two wood rails reversed and would appear to have been changed so that the glass sat further forward. Both machines have small pins attached at the frame at the bottom of where that glass would sit and I assume those were there to stop the glass shifting forwards? If the glass sits in the notches the way i think it should, then there would be no need for those pins as the glass would be held in place.To make this work I'll need to shim the back of the boss that holds the centre wheel in place so the front wheel is moved back enough to not rub against that glass once locked in.
challenger-glass-rail-a.jpg
Side rail in place with notch the way I think it should fit, but no glass in place.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Fun and worthless fact. All three original locks for the Challengers are serial numbered to each machine. Noticed both mine were the other day. When I looked back at all the old photos on this thread I could just make out that most of those are too. Quality job when people really cared, but who cares?
challenger-serials-a.jpg
challenger-cash-lock-a.jpg

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:47 pm

I do.

J Peterson
Caring American !OMFG!

grabber

Postby grabber » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:16 am

Hi,
The locks on my machine are numbered the same also.
I have taken some picture of the glass on my Challenger and will post them soon. The two small pins are needed to hold the half sheet of glass in place.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:52 am

Thanks Grabber, that would be much appreciated. And maybe if you can measure the thickness of that inner 1/2 glass too please.

( Have just reworded this slightly to make more sense. ) Something that I can't figure out with these Challengers is the payout adjustments and why they don't seem to be used?? The mechanism is very cleverly designed to be easily adjusted, just one bolt to loosen, so that the payouts can be changed from the standard 4445566655444 to quite a few variations. Of the 15 coin chutes total, the middle 11 chutes can be adjusted to payouts of 4 or 5 coins, and then the middle 5 chutes of those 11 can also be adjusted up to 6 coins. Yet i don't see any other payout castings showing different payout numbers? Surely if the factory designed this ability to alter they'd offer different castings!? And obviously with so many machines having the center payout removed, like both mine were, the original set up was too liberal. Not sure why they didn't just adjust and lower some of the payouts and make up the extra cash to the operator that way?? Which would mean slightly lower but quicker payouts to the player and a Penny to the operator each time. Even without a new matching payout casting, a piece of painted tin or card glued over the original would've been simple enough?

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:34 am

And looking at the conversions to blank the center chute they are usually all done the same way with a piece of steel bolted in place of the 6 coins so that any coin entering that chute goes straight to the cashbox and Does Not Pass GO! And covering this they usually use a sheet of alloy with machine turning just like the playfield. Seems to me the same person was responsible for all these and not just random operators, none of whom would bother to machine turn that alloy in a matching way! So more than likely a factory conversion offered by Bradley or done by them? But why not just adjust the mechanism the correct way it was designed to be changed??? Perplexed in Perth.

grabber

Postby grabber » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi
The half sheet of glass is 424mm x 293mm.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:16 am

That glass 3 or 4 mm?

grabber

Postby grabber » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:52 pm

On my machine it has 3mm glass but it seems a bit thin.
bradleys-challenger-1d-machine-010.jpg
bradleys-challenger-1d-machine-014.jpg
bradleys-challenger-1d-machine-025.jpg