Bryans values today

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Bryans values today

Post by treefrog »

Having just acquired another Elevenses project, this being the most popular of the Bryans machines with over 11,000 sold, I was intrigued to know what these would have cost in today's prices new, based on what we are paying for them now. Generally, from poor condition, they seem to start around the £300-£350 mark and then head all the way up to £800 to £900 for nice ones, although there was the very high value one sold at the Elephant Auction for £1800. Most average machines are somewhere in between, around £550....

Anyway, looking at a flyer from 1955 for a new machine, they were selling for £35 15s, slightly higher than the Fivewin, Pilwin, 10 cup machines... So below is a calculator of the equivalent new price today for a few machines... What is amazing is that they are probably worth more today than when new then. Anyone know what the final prices were on machines just before the factory closed in the early 90s?

£33 16s in 1955, today's value £730
Pilwin, 10 Cup, Fivewin and Worlborl

£35 15s in 1955 and £770 today
Elevenses

£52 in 1955 and £1220 today
Paymarid and Allsports

£161 4s in 1955 and £3475 today
All Square Four with any 4 panels
arrgee

Re: Bryans values today

Post by arrgee »

treefrog wrote:this being the most popular of the Bryans machines with over 11,000 sold
Interesting prices and analogy treefrog but do not think that Bryans manufactured 11,000 Elevenses. I understand that Bryans numbering started at 101 and around 4500 Bryans machines in total were produced over their whole range.
I could be wrong :!?!: ................ anyone else know more about quantities of Bryans machines
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Arrgee wrote:
treefrog wrote:this being the most popular of the Bryans machines with over 11,000 sold
Interesting prices and analogy treefrog but do not think that Bryans manufactured 11,000 Elevenses. I understand that Bryans numbering started at 101 and around 4500 Bryans machines in total were produced over their whole range.
I could be wrong :!?!: ................ anyone else know more about quantities of Bryans machines
Do you know, I have no idea where I got that figure from, but I read it recently and now cannot find it now. Interestingly Braithwaite's book, lists 7000 machines made of all types and that excludes the likes of the Pilwins, 10 cups, worlborl, all 2--6-4 machines (assume this includes Elevenses) etc which it gives a total of 4,500 machines sold, so that would be at least over 11,000 of all types made, maybe that's the number I read.. !PUZZLED!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

What condition is the new elevenses in treefrog, is it a complete rebuild or just a cosmetic job.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In the early nineties Mr Bryan offered to knock up a Paymarid for me and quoted the extortionate price of £350.

I of course new better and politely declined.
No fooling this lad! :cry: !!SUICIDAL!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Arrgee wrote:What condition is the new elevenses in treefrog, is it a complete rebuild or just a cosmetic job.
No definitely a cosmetic job, new backflash, locks and strip and polish oh and half inch ball....very clean inside. My first machine purchase from the states, turned up quickly and well packaged, shipping not too bad, but once customs had decided on their value, not what I had paid, it probably was not worth it, still retrieved another machine from over the water......
In the early nineties Mr Bryan offered to knock up a Paymarid for me and quoted the extortionate price of £350.

I of course new better and politely declined.
No fooling this lad!
That sounds like a serious bargain, even then....can you imagine that gleaming new machine sitting on your mantle now BP !!SUICIDAL!!
Attachments
elevenses.JPG
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Here is a Bryans price list from 1978 which I got a copy of from someone.
Attachments
Bryans-Price-List-1978.gif
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure what to entirely make of the market change from '55 to '78, but below you will see the difference in prices based on the cost of living increase during the same period.

..............................................................................1955...........................1955 - today.......................... 1978.....................................1978 -Today
Pilwin, 10 Cup, Fivewin.................................... £33 16s........................£730........................................£79........................................£358
Worlborl............................................................. £33 16s........................£730........................................£64.......................................£313
Elevenses........................................................... £35 15s.........................£770........................................£79.......................................£358
Paymarid and Allsports.................................. .£52...............................£1220.....................................£98........................................£480
All Square Four with any 4 panels................. £161 4s.........................£3475....................................£365.....................................£1788

So in 1955 it was a much more viable business, than in the late '70s