New member to group

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
johnnyo57

New member to group

Post by johnnyo57 »

Hi to all members.
Just to intro myself to the group and share my passion for amusement games from my youth. Have been into slots and pinballs for about 6 years and have had a couple of old slotties that have now gone but just picked up another project to work on.
the money pit of a bandit.jpg

This is now in bits and off being sandblasted (the casing, that is, and the not so brightwork parts).

The mech is complete and working and has the jackpot assembly which also looks intact. Reel strips are pretty poor, though in progress of making some replacements. 75% done and printed.

Not so good bits: missing the cash box and back door, pretty much par for the course from what I have read in the forums. On the look out for replacements if any one knows where any could be sourced. Will post some more pics as the revival comes about if anyone is interested.

Regards to all.... john.
andydotp

Re: New member to group

Post by andydotp »

Hi johnnyo57 and welcome aboard. Always great to have new members joining. Don't forget to sign the petition..

As for parts, I'm sure the locals will be posting when they get up - I'm in Australia so we read each others' posts at opposite ends of the day.

Been a load of similar Segas on UK ebay recently..
Best regards and keep the pics coming.. (to quote a certain Badpenny who doubtless you'll become acquainted with shortly)
"we love pictures" .
BP is correct.... (I held back a sarcastic remark there)
Regards,
andydotp
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

My ears were burning !PUZZLED!

Welcome on board johnnyo57, good to count you in our numbers.

Best of luck with the Bonanza 3 star, I'm sure you won't need it, it sounds as if you are up to speed with them.
Looks as if it has a Shefras roll down escalator fitted.

Keep us up to date on its progress.
What machines did you have in the past?

As Andy said please sign the petition if you haven't already ............

Petition
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Oh no. Not sand blasting the original case. It looks so original and so many have been tampered with. :smash:

I wish I'd seen it first.

Good luck with the restoration. !!SUICIDAL!!
johnnyo57

Post by johnnyo57 »

Hi
The machine has in the past been repainted. Original colour was a cherry red. Looks like it was a proper job, though painted inside and out, but the castings were flaking paint all over due to water damage. The cash tray is the worst. See what the blasting reveals - re-chroming may be out of reach.

I can hear the chroming guy sucking air through his teeth already. Only other viable proposition is powder coating, unless I can pick up a donor machine.

Yes, it has the Sheffras sort of escalator, but it works on the old 5p and on 20p coins also.

The other machines I have had were a Buckingham from IA Slough, precursor to the Sega Windsor I think, and a Sega Continental. The Continental only had a week
or so. Someone offered me 70 quid more than I paid for it, so it went. Will dig out some old photos of the Buckingham, before and after, plus a couple of pub fruities over the past few years but they are too.
johnnyo57

Post by johnnyo57 »

Well the machine is done albeit for a few outstanding things to tidy up but all seems to function how it should.
PA080110.JPG

Biggest disappointment - the chroming: my local platers wanted £295 at least for re-doing all the chrome. The cash tray was a write off in his opinion as well as the handle and I could not justify it........ specially to the wife.
So it was down to having these bits powder coated instead. Chose gold to contrast it with the black. Maybe should have had them done in silver. Still got to have a back door and lock made up, also a cash box tp complete it finally.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Looking good, you've put some hours into that.

Do the lights work?
Dremels are good aren't they?

Badpenny
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Nice work johnnyo57, great effort there.

Will the powder coating not chip off over time with all the coins crashing down?
Interested to hear how it lasts.
andydotp
johnnyo57

Post by johnnyo57 »

Hi,
Yes badpenny, the lights do work, surprisingly. Just need one more tube to complete the set.
I tried them when I first got it home..... Stood well away when I flicked the switch though.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

When I have untried electrics to test, I usually get somebody else to flick the switch whilst I stand in one of the fields....... It doesn't matter which one, Sheffield, Chesterfield or Wakefield....... !!ESCAPE!!
raj

Post by raj »

Good job, man. To keep it immaculate, I would put something soft in the cash drawer to stop the coins chipping the paint, or use a piece of checker plate or similar. Car wax will build up some protection. Some Hightops had a piece of stainless fitted under the reel glass to stop damage from dropped coins. I'm still working my way through our last microwave for nice thin shiny metal and great big magnets that catch all my dropped screws. :idea: