Unusual payouts and feature on a Buckingham style slot

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Unusual payouts and feature on a Buckingham style slot

Post by coppinpr »

I saw this machine on ebay, its nothing special being in fact a Buckingham with a different front but the payouts and feature intrigued me...so i bought it, cheapish. I guess it came right at the end of the mechanical era when they were trying to keep up interest in machines by introducing at least a little interaction with the player. On this one an apple symbol on the first reel lights the feature,the player can then select one of the reels by pressing one of the buttons on the front, As long as the feature is lit the games are free and an Adam or Eve symbol on the selected reel pays 18, Interesting..anyone seen one like it before?
start-front1.jpg

start front.jpg

johnnyo57

Re: Unusual payouts and feature on a Buckingham style slot

Post by johnnyo57 »

It certainly is an oddball, I have never seen anything from IA Ltd., Slough like this. My first machine was a Buckingham, which I restored and sold on a year later to fund a pinball machine.
I could not find anything about IA Ltd. trawling through the net. I made the assumption they were bought out by Sega as the Sega Windsor appears to be a later copy of a Buckingham.
I'm probably totally wrong. Perhaps somebody else can shed some light further. as I would be interested to know more.

john
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I've always assumed IA Ltd., Slough were distributors and fitters like Ruffler & Walker (although R&W did make machines as well). I think they bought the machines and added their own glass work and coin system to suit the UK. I wonder if it was them that added the feature or if it came to them with it fitted. Annoys me that they ALWAYS blanked off the clear window showing the JP unit, which is usually chromed so was definitely meant to be seen. I always open it up and polish the JP unit - looks great that way.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have been wondering about IA Ltd. from Slough as well, as they definitely made custom parts for machines, as seen on the graphics, also reel strips often have the name on. The question is the origin of the Buckingham as I wonder if this was even made by Sega and is in fact a British made machine using Sega mechanisms. They are cruder than say a Windsor, which is very similar, but is slightly smaller and the bright work like door and cash tray is chrome. Also, Segas have manufacturer stickers on the inside, serial numbers and mostly have Sega on the front. The Buckingham does not have this......There were also full height versions of the Buckingham.

I will put my neck on the line to suggest these are British machines, possibly made by IA, but I am sure someone will know the answer.... There are many variations, my favourite being Wild Man...

The main unusual feature on yours is the reel stop buttons....They look slightly crude, which may support the IA story.....
Attachments
wild.JPG
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

They are not reel stop buttons - more complicated than that: You select one of the buttons before you play, but once the feature is lit then it pays if that line shows an Adam or Eve symbol. So took a little work for them to deal with mechanical payouts I suspect.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I thought I'd search for AI Ltd., Slough and the search returned a very surprising result - a car radio and security business with an interesting address:

Building 28, Buckingham Trade Park, Buckingham Ave Slough SL1 4QA.
johnnyo57

Post by johnnyo57 »

Dear Coppinpr

It seems IA did not always blank off the Jackpot window as shown:
96_1_b.jpg
96_1_b.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 3142 times

ce_1_b.jpg
ce_1_b.jpg (25.65 KiB) Viewed 3142 times

DSC_0042.JPG

But I'm afraid I did when I repro'd the glasses as the originals had seen better days. Of course, the originals went with the machine when I sold it.
DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

Strange this one never had the chromed Buckingham logo, but I have seen several of these with the Sega type visible jackpot and this one did have the holes for one. I assumed IA removed the visible JP for the tower type like this one and yours.

John.