Changing from a 5 cent to 6d machine

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
marktol

Changing from a 5 cent to 6d machine

Post by marktol »

Hi All,

I think I might have just agreed to purchase a half top from someone that has a 6d Cabinet but with a 5 cent mech. Just wondering how easy it would be for me to switch it back to a 6d mech?

I'm assuming all I would need to do is get a set of 6d payout slides, cover and coin tube?

Then of course there is the escalator to replace as well.

I'm assuming that would be more desirable than leaving it on 5 cent and changing the coin denominator?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Mark
treefrog

Re: Changing from a 5 cent to 6d machine

Post by treefrog »

A lot of hassle......as you mentioned coin tube, slides, posts, possibly lower fingers and comb, escalator.... I did convert a Hi Top from 5C to 20p....only had to reduce slightly each slide by a fraction, using oxide paper and a micrometer and the posts.....

The other option is either buy a 6D mech and resell your or just a buy 5C demoninator badge .....think I have one somewhere in this lot
Attachments
badge.JPG
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks Treefrog,

I think for now a 5C badge may be the best option and I may be looking purchase one of yours when the machine arrives.

It's currently a diamond front but I've got a set of golden falls furniture and several sets of cherrys to make a black cherry so I'm not sure what I will do with it.

The mech needs a good clean and de-rust and the cause needs a respray anyway so I'm sort of looking at it as a blank canvas. It pays 2 on 1 cheer according to the award plate.

I will post a picture when I get it - fingers crossed it won't take a month like the sega I still haven't received yet...!
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

marktol wrote:I think for now a 5C badge may be the best option and I may be looking purchase one of yours when the machine arrives.
Hi marktol,
I reckon you've answered your own question on this one....Far simpler to just change a badge than going through the rigmarole of switching out posts, slides, tube, escalator etc.
Cheers,
andydotp
marktol

Post by marktol »

I did think that would be the case but its always worth an ask...

Looks like the machine wont be collected until the new year now.

So my conundrum now is do I leave it as a diamond front, or change it to a black cherry or a golden falls...?!? Whats everyones view?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd keep it as it is.
Would you swap your street name sign with one across town?
Buy a Mercedes and change the badges with a Maybach?

Hope that Sega turns up.

Jeremy
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks Jeremy,

Totally see your point there and its a logic I would normally follow myself I just find the diamond fronts less appealing to the eye than the others and as ive had a flutter of duty free packages arrive from over the pond recently packed with front furniture its burning a hole in my cupboard crying out to be stuck on the front of a machine...

Suposively the Sega will be delivered either tomorrow or Friday.... I wait with baited breath..!

Needless to say ive selected a new courier firm to deliver this new half top...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I have two sets of golden falls furniture ,one original one copy, i Might sell, Also just had a delivery from Dave at Mrslot, amoung the delivery are a nice Buckley front bib for the buck i bought at Coventry and 2 different 5c coin markers,one large one small, new but nice, I could sell one on to you at cost if interested.
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks Paul,

When the machine arrives in the new year and I've had a proper chance to look at it I will let you know. You have some machines that run on the 5c then I presume?

I was hoping for a package from Dave myself this week with the reel strips in it for my trade stimulator but he only despatched them yesterday :(
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Hi again,
If it was me and I'd bought an original Diamond Front I'd keep it at that.
Black Cherry or whaterver. Different cases - cast iron or Al.
Putting on Golden Falls furniture wouldn't be right, after all that machine was a handload jp so
that's my vote. !THUMBS!

Ooh, you haven't spawned another Forum Votey-thing have you? !!ESCAPE!!
Regs,
a.p
marktol

Post by marktol »

I looked to do a vote but I think you have to do it when you first create the post and I hadn't thought of it then !PUZZLED!

I am in agreement though, I'm going to leave it as a diamond front.

So now for the next poll - what color..?!?

Having done a google the majority seem to be silver with red diamonds which I like the look of. Something along the lines of:-
329-Mills-Diamond-Front.JPG

What does everyone think?
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Hi, Mark.

I think I am going to hang on to your silver and red paints!

Looking forward to seeing the before and after pics of your new machine.

Cheers,

Alan
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks Alan,

There is a certain amount of déjà vu here... Still at least I know the color combination works OK!

Hope you're enjoying the machine and you made it home OK with no bumps or knocks....

Mark
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

There is also the not insignificant consideration that nickels (5c) only cost three pee each, cheaper than any token you can buy, and if you have teenagers in the house they will not empty the tube and pocket the lot when you're not looking.