It's finally here!

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
marktol

It's finally here!

Post by marktol »

Well, I've made enough references to it recently but my Mad Money Sega was delivered last night at 12! I was starting to get a tad worried as it took the courier company nearly a month to deliver! I've only had a brief look at it but I have some immediate observations:-

I knew they were a bit bigger and heavier than the Hi Tops but my God, it's huge and definitely a lot heavier!

Cabinet is in great original condition and the chrome is mint. I just need to give the mech a bit of a clean and the escalator is a bit sticky.

I've attached the top box (thanks again BP) and need to find a wiring diagram somewhere so I can work out where to attach the wires to the existing wiring.

Need to try and get some replacement glass for it as this one has a chip on the front.

The coin entry plate was a bit pitted and not attached to the machine. I will keep my eye out for a replacement. Failing that, I guess I can just re-paint it.

I have switched the coin denominator over as it's come with what I can only guess is a couple of thousand American 1 cent coins. Most are still in their cardboard wraps (let me know if anyone wants some - happy to drop some in the post). I now need to just start running in the 6Ds. There were a few in there already.

Need to switch the handle over as well but on the spare I have the pins are bent, so needs some adjustment so it will fit.

More pictures to follow - I just snapped this last night before I went to bed.

Cheers.
Attachments
madmoney.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Its finally here!

Post by badpenny »

I share your glee there Mark ....... !!YIPPEE!!

I love those, it was the first proper bandit I ever bought, same colours as well.

Your top box from Coventry really sets it off, and the bottom chrome looks good (is it?)
I'd really prefer the coin entry surround to be chromed as well, due it being the topmost chromed bit (apart from the top box pillars which aren't obvious).

Does it have the Sega badge on the back bottom lip of the wooden case?

Enjoy and have fun matey.

Jeremy
marktol

Re: Its finally here!

Post by marktol »

Thanks Jeremy,

The chrome to me looks as good as it would have when it came out of the factory. I cant fault it anywhere which was my driver for purchasing the machine. Yes, the top box is excellent, I just need to work out how to wire it up without blowing myself up... ;)

I am hoping to be able to get a replacement for the top coin entry as it wont look the same if I try and spray it. The chrome defiantly looks the best.

I will check for the badge when I get home, do you know where it should be?

The cycle time seems really quick on the machine but I notice it has some of the wire tensioners on it so I will remove them. Also gonna take the clock off and clean it so that may also help!
marktol

Re: It's finally here!

Post by marktol »

Wondering if someone can give me some advice re electircs.

Ive plugged the lights in and one of the tubes come on (presume the others are blown but I will check). Initially when I switched it on there was quite a loud buzzing/humming coming from it. Ive replaced the starters and still get the same noise all be it not quite as loud. HAs anyone had this before?

Worst case can someone recommend an alternate modern transformer that i could purchase to replace and fix within the original cage to maintain as much authentisity as possible?

I still also need to try and work out where to attach the top box into the circuit so if someone could post a picture of how the wiring is for their top box it would be great.

Thanks a lot,
Mark
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Try swapping the tubes over. This will tell you if one tube has gone... !THUMBS!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

...and the starters in every combination. With tubes so cheap I replace them all and the starters too.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Does your top box just light up, or is there a seperate bulb in there that lights when the feature comes on? All the ones I have, have feature lights in the top box, but perhaps yours does not.
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks Paul,

I've replaced all 3 starters with some spare I already had. I will replace the bulbs too but I haven't had them out yet to look up which type I need to get. Could the buzzing just be from them? I think I remember reading a previous post if yours mentioning that eBay is the best place to pick them up cheaply?

The top box does have a bulb in it and I have a red and black wire coming down into the machine but as I had to add the top box as a replacement I'm not sure where I need to connect it in? Again need to check the bulb on this one.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

If they are fluorescent tubes, you will have ballasts/chokes to moderate the voltage. These in some way are like transformers and can make a hell of a row. Try tapping it with a spanner (unplugged). The other thing I would always recommend is checking all wiring is terminated correctly and secure as well as earthed. I am not sure there should be any other transformer in there, unless this machine has one of those special awards with relays and solenoids.

If the topbox does not have fluorescent fittings in, but a normal bulb fitting, this will need to be terminated on a junction box before the ballasts. Maybe better to put in a small 4W fluorescent fitting, I am sure they were fitted with these originally.

This machine looks like one of the British variants, rather than a Sega machine, so some parts may not swap if you are planning to change like the glass and other cabinet parts. The serial number referred to is usually on a badge on the rear base often missing. Additionally on thee inside right hand side on a sticker, with the date, model and serial number, this will confirm if Sega.
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks Treefrog,

I will check when I get home - I had a look when BP mentioned it before and couldn't see anything obvious. It originally had a 1p coin denominator but I changed it for the 6D. The glass is quite a thick chunky bit and annoyingly has a chip out the front, so would be good to replace it if I could.

I hadn't realized there were different 'non Sega' variants!

From what I've observed of the wiring so far, it's earthed on the base plate the mech sits on. I will take a photo and post it. There is a section where all the wires seem to be twisted together with what is effectively a junction box.
johnnyo57

Post by johnnyo57 »

Hi Mark
Attached a couple of piccys of my Sega when I stripped it down... My top box has its own starter mounted inside and the wiring colours are different to what you say yours are, but may be of some use.
P8290091.JPG

P8290090.JPG

Good luck, John.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I remember Kite Marks and BS 5750, I take it that is BS 1 couldn't give a toss?

I strongly advise you ensure you swallow the contents of your pills cabinet before standing in a bucket of water on top of a shaky chair with a taught rope round your neck before you plug that in. If nothing else it'll give the coroner plenty to guess at. !!THUMBSX2!!

All seriousness aside, it's interesting that between us all we've come across every combination you can think of....
Top box: -
With no light
With low voltage bulb wired straight from on board transformer
With tube slaved onto starter on main board (not effective)
With tube with own starter next to it

I guess at end of day you makes your choice and nails your colours to the mast.

Strongly suggest you use a simple electrickery meter to establish voltages and AC/DC on any spare bits of electric string you're thinking of tying it on to. (my favourite is Thunderstruck)

raj

Post by raj »

Joking aside BP, this is a great example of why I never sell anything with a plug on it, especially a Sega lite up :shock: (or not, as the case may be). I mean, what possible harm can 240v do!!!!!

I've seen even worse examples when the seller has also assured me that
a: everything works just fine, :HaHa:
b: my mate has checked it out, he used to be a sparky at t'pit !!ESCAPE!!
c: it just needs a shot of WD40 to get it running. :smash:
d: you can get all these missing bits on ebay, dead cheap. :roll:
johnnyo57

Post by johnnyo57 »

Yes indeed, this was an electrical disaster :shock: when I got hold of it but after some TLC and partial re-wire it's now working OK - even passing a class 3 PAT test along the way.
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks,

So this is what I have:-

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

Looks like there is a spare bit on the transformer where the original wire would have gone, so I think all I need to do is re-solder a new wire back onto that and link it up with the top box wires. Then just add a new second wire in line with the other ones that are not linked to the transformer box?
markymark

Post by markymark »

Ouch, that looks messy... If I'm honest, I think you're mad leaving those electrics in there. From memory, I believe there are no true earths in that wiring. Those transformers get hot and if the coil breaks inside - potential melt down or worse, fire!
I think machines do look nice lit up, but would always rip out all that old stuff and use modern electronics for lighting, but that's my opinion, but as my kids and their friends play my slots a lot, I'd hate them to be electrocuted.

Just be careful if you are attempting to bring this back to life!
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks,

There is definitely a fine balance between keeping original and doing the right thing from a safety perspective.

I'm assuming I could just get a replacement transformer for it and fit it in the same place as the original?

Has anyone done this before? Can anyone recommend a product from somewhere?

Mark
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

check out TLC electrics online, their catalog is massive and there is likley to be a branch near you anyway
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks Paul,

Have you replaced te fittings etc before when you hve restored these?