What was your first allwin machine?

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
alan57

What was your first allwin machine?

Post by alan57 »

As a newbie to allwins, can anyone remember their first allwin machine they bought, and do you still have it in your collection !PUZZLED!
special when lit

Re: What was your first allwin machine?

Post by special when lit »

Only had a couple of Nostalgic repros, but would like a 50s sweetie one.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Mine was an "Easy Perm" and I don't have it now.
raj

Post by raj »

This was mine, a very heavy Giant Ruffler & Walker Many Happy Returns, about 1990. It should still be out there somewhere, I hope, without the grim dark stain !
Attachments
Many Happy Returns.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Stevenson and Lovett Fireworks was the first, only about 3 years ago - started a trend for me.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

An Oliver Whales "Allwin Deluxe" most likely recased from a multi-unit into a single box, only the door and mechanism being original. It took me several years to learn what the game was about and over a decade to appreciate that the case was a replacement. I still have the game and will keep it to the bitter end. It helps remind be how far I've come.
Attachments
KP photo B.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I posted this on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:46 am

My first machine was also a GW wall bandit, a Novomat £5. A few weeks later I bought a Hawtins Allwin £10, and then a single column Woodbine vendor on 2d.

I still have the last one, but the first two sadly not. When I was 19 I moved to Spain for 3 years and my generous mother gave the bandit and the allwin to the kids next door who painted them in emulsion then abandoned them in the garden to the mercy of the elements; from whence they progressed to the bonfire (machines, not kids ... unfortunately). I was not amused, but when it's your own mum what can you do?
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I had a Rowntrees 'Win a Gum'. Sold it about 10 years ago along with my 'Rotopool' and a Novomat ......wish I had them now. Now very keen to get another wall machine of some sort later this year.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

My first two machines were a Mills High Top on 1d I bought for four pounds and a Bryans Payramid I got for two pounds fifty. Both around 1979/80.
Yes BP, Mothers can be bothersome things God bless 'em. Mine gave all my Tonka toys and chemistry set to our neighbours once - and I'd only been gone seventeen years!
Wish I'd left the machines with friends or summat when I migrated, but flogged the High Top for a ton and the Payramid for a monkey.... :-(
Silly Me.
funky

Post by funky »

My first allwin was a streamline Elevenses just a few years back that I got from an old lad that ran an arcade in Blackpool. Got a few machines from him and from then I've been hooked on allwins more than bandits etc...... Just one monkey for a Payramid andy..... Hey I would have given you a few ponies for it... but, then again, a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush? !!ESCAPE!! .....
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Exactament funky..... :-( What are they worth these days? A couple of grands in your quids?
Oohhh, Silly Me. :roll:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

What is interesting is that the post 1960s Payramid is far more rare (380 made) than the pre 1960s model (623 made) yet the popularity of the original invariably determines a higher price (even more if you have one in a showmans' case) - I love all of them.
funky

Post by funky »

yea andy u could prob have a nice small monkey enclosure now........a few monkeys and some ponies thrown in.........but dont go ape andy at least ur one of the few that ever had one in ur zoo....bet ur as sick as a dog u didnt keep it for a while longer...sounds like a chitzu.(small dog) (shit zoo)........ok im not that great with telling jokes......better stop parrating on and get out of here...... !!ESCAPE!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

A monkey for the machine! I'd have given a "bulls eye" on top, even then. He wasn't showing any signs of being "chicken" when he bought it. Still no chance of ending up with a "turkey" at that price.
Today's quiz is this "how many monkeys did it take to take home the monkey race at Coventry this year?" !PUZZLED! Answer ...3 if I remember correctly.

Origin of the slang term "Monkey": soldiers returning from India in the late Victorian era were used to calling the 500 rupee note a monkey because it had a picture of a monkey on it. Back home, the term was attached to the same number of £s !SMARTY!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote:...........a monkey for the machine! I'd have given a "bulls eye" on top..................
Let's see what you could have won ........
monkey bullseye.png
monkey bullseye.png (94.39 KiB) Viewed 2833 times

scottie

Post by scottie »

scottie

Post by scottie »

Oops sorry, too much egg nog..... !PUZZLED! .....Mmmm I know what eggs are ...but WHAT is nog.......
1984, I got my first allwin... Playball.
scottie
Attachments
NEW GAMESROOM 019.jpg
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Thanks for the replies, all nice looking machines, speaking of monkies and eggs - what do you get if you cross a monkey with some egg whites? - A meringue-utan !!RAYOF!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Mmmm I know what eggs are ...but WHAT is nog..
Miscellaneous Technologies / Brewing) Also called flip a drink, esp an alcoholic one, containing beaten egg.

Which would mean the egg nog is "egg with an egg in it".
I much prefer your one word first post... I thought it was some Orwell type comment on BP :lol:
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

:( :-( Actually, I erred in my mathematics (not to mention rhyming slang)...
I sold my Payramid for a paltry twenty quid :shock:
!SOFA! :NBG: