Buckley "half-top" restored

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Buckley "half-top" restored

Post by coppinpr »

The Buckley I bought at Coventry is now pretty much finished, Just a new lock (Jennings type I think,strange they didnt use the Mills type,most other parts are Mills compatible)

The color I used seems to be one of the original options,there are a lot the same color about in the States., New reel strips, JP glass, payout bib, coin denominator, slight changes to the payout discs to bring in the "criss-cross" payouts. A careful clean of the very odd escalator, (each coin pushes the next along) and it works a treat.
Filled some damage to the base and sanded and varnished the case. put it all back together, put in a coin,it worked first time, came up a winner and it paid out correct amount...stoped while I was ahead !!YABBADABBA!!

Love this late Deco design, I think it will be a long time before I part with this one

buck new1.jpg

buck new2.jpg

buck back.jpg

Below is how it was when I bought it at Coventry

buck1.jpg

marktol

Re: Buckley "half-top" restored

Post by marktol »

Looks great Paul,

You have done a great job of the fine detail on the paint for the Buckley writing and also the black fill in the chrome work on the front.

Could I ask what type of paint you use for this? I'm assuming you do most of it freehand?

Mark.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I use Humbrol enamels for the small work. I tried something new on the Buckley name, painting around the grooves with Humbrol Maskol which is a paint on plastic jell that sets and protects the area around the grooves, then peels off when all is dry. Mixed results, helped in some ways, hindered in others. See it in use below.
buck work2.jpg

mrslot1

Post by mrslot1 »

Very Nice Paul! I love the Yellow!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the best slot forum, anywhere !!CHEERS!!
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

!!GOODJOB!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Paul .....
Could you explain in which ways Humbrol Maskol hindered, as I'm about to invest my Jammy Dodger money in a box of the stuff and may benefit from your experience.

J
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Basically, it needs a little practice. It's thinner than you expect. Don't make the boundary around the paint area too small; when you come to peel it off, it's much easier if you have a wider area to lift. Do not lift until the painted area is really dry or it will pull the paint out with it. Apply more than one coat of it; it's easier to remove then. I guess I thought it was going to be super great - it's not. It can be a big help, but it's not the magic answer I hoped for :!?!:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Looks great, congrats on a fine renovation. :cool: