1956 Duo-Mat

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

1956 Duo-Mat

Post by coppinpr »

Fearing that buying German products will become as unacceptable when we vote to leave the EU as it was in 1919 three of the four machines I bought at coventry this year were Teutonic in origin.
Unlike the Jupiter this Duo mat needed a lot of work. Like a lot of 60 year olds all its joints were seizing up, its face needed a lift, the extremities were chipped and worn,it wouldnt part with any money and it didn't work.

Some varnish,gold paint,de-greaser, a lot of sanding,a couple of hours on photo shop, and some new locks and it cant wait to hang around in an arcade like a kid again .

AND!! its my birthday today!! :cool:
start.jpg

worksop.jpg

mech.jpg

finished duo mat.jpg

arrgee

Re: 1956 Duo-Mat

Post by arrgee »

Happy Birthday coppinpr and here's to many more !PARTY!

As to the Duo Mat, nice machine, always liked these with their smooth action and rumbling sound that gradually comes to a stop. Did you make the registration/licence plate from metal or is it 'photoshoped'
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

#Happy~BIRTHDAY#
Love those Duomats. Not too bad to work on either. :D
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Happy Bird Tray Paul. :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

i photo shopped the licence :(
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

hi paul ,
cracking job there mate, i have one of these but it's missing the glass is the glass mirrored ?
i was thinking of getting one made out of vinyl and printed but if its mirrored it wouldn't look right.

is it difficult to work on as mine is seized up as well and i've never worked on one before.

cheers
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes it is a mirrored glass.
If you do a search you'll find "written stuff" concerning Duomats.

Sadly the glass is the major part of the value of one. I think I may have the record for price realised at auction for the one I sold at Coventry a couple or so years back.
It got £450 (I think) but it was a belter and still on the original denomination of Ein Pfennigmarkgruppenschloss (I might have got a bit giddy just there)

Sadly when they are converted to old English penny they do require a fairly hefty portion of butchering. Including the castings involved in coin overflow (otherwise it jams when the payout tube becomes full) and also the exit into the payout tray.

Still one of my all time favourites, and I believe one of the machines that made W.E.Bryan despair.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

thanks mate.
looks like its going to go into the might do someday pile lol.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Nice job Coppin. All you need now is a selector, which are also great. You are becoming the new German Slot King

Need to fettle a few of mine as seem to have gathered a few.

glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

If anyone needs pics of a Duomat, mine is mint, original glass and not scratched out for English instructions, bright colours and still on original coinage. I've had it about 15 years. Oh yes, Pennymachines, I still have the Bingolette I got from you in 1999, also mint and never let me down, even when hammered by kids. It was in a state and took some restoring but I still love it.