Why you shouldn't grease a bandit

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Why you shouldn't grease a bandit

Post by coppinpr »

(a) Because one type of bandit is a slippery enough person already
(b) Because the type of bandit we are interested in ends up looking like the one below.

I bought this Sega clone running on a Sega mech (old Shilling) from a guy in Hearn Bay. He runs a cafe which used to be an arcade before he bought it 30 years ago and this machine has been sitting in the back room, unused, since he converted to a cafe (the other machines he had were dumped years ago :( )
He said, "I hope you can fix it, it's jammed solid". As usual there was nothing wrong with it except the worst case of oxidised grease I've seen in a long time. In fact the mech was in remarkable condition, a little dusty but quite shiny, other than the moving parts dirtdog. The actual reason it was jammed was the old grease was stopping the spring on the kicker from pulling the kicker back into its start position - it simply kept missing the reels when you pulled the handle making it look as if jammed.

I used the new spray de-greaser from WD40 and it worked really well - the old grease just melted off. In a couple of hours it was working like the day it was made. I did make one stupid mistake: seeing the rubber handle stop was worn out I took it out and reversed it... just like new! But the machine really did jam every pull from then on. Turned out the new rubber was sitting a little higher in the holder. This stopped the handle from going just to the very end of the pull. This in turn stopped the ratchet on the side from clearing the row of teeth so it failed to reset and jammed the handle in the down position. A problem I've never seen before .

The case will be easy, the chrome is pretty good and the light-box is fine. It has no special feature, just called "3 jackpots" but it's been converted to 2 ( !PUZZLED! ) It has a nice jackpot but only a roll down escalator (at the moment). It did have a couple of hundred old shillings in it though, full tube, full jackpot AND full coin box - very odd, like they forgot to empty it on the last day :!?!:
Attachments
case start.jpg
mech finished.jpg
mech start.jpg
dutchboy

Re: Why you shouldn't grease a bandit

Post by dutchboy »

Very nice to find coppinpr, sometimes it feels a little like Christmas when you find a lot of old coins in it. I found in my Mills 21 Bello Matic about 150 old Dutch guilders. The cashbox was closed and no key off course. When I opened it I found another 200 coins in a bag! It's not about the money but part of the fun. Enjoy it.
henk

Post by henk »

Too bad you can't exchange the guilders any more. haha
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Not too bad henk, it' all for fun. :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Too bad you can't exchange the guilders any more. haha
Not that long ago Aruba,Bonaire and Curaso still used the Guilder then Aruba left the Dutch Antilles group and were using ,I think, the arubian guilder last time I was there while the other two went cap in hand to the Dutch and asked if they would take them back please and they use the US $ so not worth booking a flight to Aruba to change the Guilders (a good excuse to go to a great place though :lol: )