American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
malcymal

Re: Can anybody identify this machine?

Postby malcymal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Yes it was the same although it didn't have those holes at the top (if they are holes, there's 4 on left at top, 4 on right and some in the middle near the coin entry. The one I looked at was clean, with the ROMA badge to left of slot in a vertical position. It looks as if something is missing from the top of the machine in the photo, as the one I saw was flush.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Coin-op wrote:Can't identify this machine by an actual name. But I think it's one of those early 60s bandits made using Beromat mechanisms
I think that coin-op has hit the nail on the head with this one, as the proportions and layout of this machine are the same as the Beromat type bandits :cool: ... I just hope that owner of this machine invests some of the money he gets from it in a better camera lol..;-)

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:39 pm

I see the seller has now changed the photo for a better one :cool: ... was it something I said :?: ..

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:29 am

It's like this one <pic>, a Beromat mechanism in a flashy custom case. They were converted by a company in South Wales, I forget the name.
manhattan.jpg

operator bell

Re: Beromat on Ebay

Postby operator bell » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:41 am

Because the payout slides are reamed out for the old penny, they're a bit of a weak spot. Check the edges for cracks.
This is true. Two of the slides on my Novomat were broken. However, the payout slides are held in compression, so even if they're cracked in two across the hole they still function, and they can be glued back together. What can't be fixed is if one of the ears holding the springs is broken off. One of the German sites - possibly this one - has a tutorial on recasting broken payout slides and other Wulff parts. They make it look easy.

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:38 pm

I am picking up yellow Beromat, hybrid, maybe South Welsh customised, Ruffler and Walker? whatever bandit on Sunday. It's a mystery what will be inside. It's locked with no keys. It does look like the one on ebay at the moment except that it is missing something from the top and award card. The one I'm getting all seemed there. After a big haggle, price agreed is £110, originally priced at £225, so for a dealer I think I've worked hard. OK, it might not work but it's an interesting fettle project and I just fell in love with it when I first saw it. Been dreaming of the damn thing for two weeks. Now to learn the art of lock picking Yales, youtube and wikipedia is a wonderful place.

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Operator Bell wrote:It's like this one <pic>, a Beromat mechanism in a flashy custom case. They were converted by a company in South Wales, I forget the name.
Anybody know the name of the South Wales company that made this machine?? Is it Ruffler and Walker?!?!

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:56 pm

malcymal wrote:I am picking up yellow Beromat,
At Last :claps: .... Is this the ROMA bandit that we have heard so much about???.. you say you think it may be the work of R&W, as far as I know they were a London firm and not from S-Wales, If it has their name on it, it may be that they sold it on after being converted by others but I could be wrong :!?!: ... and as for the price... I think you did ok at £110 !!THUMBSX2!! : ... can't wait to see it :tarah:

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Yes it is the ROMA!!! or whatever it could be... I'm buying it 'cause I just like it, it may be overpriced, it might not be worth much but I don't care. I will curse when I get it open I'm sure, it will either be OH S*** or, WOW, and I'm sure I will be asking questions on here to get it fully working. Will be back with it Sunday PM. I think the gurus on here have pretty much said it's a Beromat mech inside a custom UK cabinet. Would like to know who the maker is though, maybe there will be some markings inside.

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Would like to know who the maker is though, may be there will be some markings inside.
I'm pretty sure it's not R&W. The blue Manhattan, I posted its picture in another thread, had a tag on it. Some company I'd never heard of in Rhyll (spelling?). I looked it up at the time and I seem to recall it was a showman company associated with a traveling fair. I'm sorry, I didn't write it down so I can't remember, but it was a short name.