American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
operator bell

Re: The ROMA has Landed

Postby operator bell » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:52 am

working out how the payout cogs match the slides and actuate the rod that releases those slides, its paying out.
A word of wisdom about the slides. There are five, the bottom one of brass and the other four made of a soft and fragile zinc alloy. And it might have escaped your notice, there are two release rods. The one at center front is lifted by a cam a variable amount, to set the payout, but it should not release the slides. It should be a loose fit in the holes. There's another rod, left center of the slides against the side of the mech, which is lifted by another cam at the top and is adjustable by a set screw. This one drops down through a bush on the slide holder and only releases the bottom brass slide, without which none of the others can move. The set screw needs to be adjusted so that this rod lifts last, after the front rod has lifted the right amount for the payout. If things are out of adjustment and the second rod lifts first, the front rod will tend to get stuck by the spring pressure, and as it rises it will grind the holes in the soft zinc slides, leading to all kinds of wrong payout problems.

Also, don't yield to temptation and dismantle the slide stack except in a dire emergency. It comes apart easily enough but it's the devil's own job to put it back together and get all the springs in place. It took me a week, cursed thing.

I have seen Wulff machines with a third release rod, or rather a non-release rod. It drops into another set of holes at right front to prevent the slides releasing if the machine is banged or tilted. If you had such a thing, I'm sure you would have mentioned it. Most people take the tilt mech off as it's a pain in the butt to keep it carefully balanced.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:26 pm

".................drops into another set of holes at right front to prevent the slides releasing if the machine is banged or tilted."

That's the "Payout Lockdown" on my Primus that I was waffling about previously

The nice thing about GW machines is that there is no hidden bits of complications wazzing away at the speed of light hidden away in the darkness. It all moves slowly and brazenly.

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Moving slowly and brazenly, that's like me going to work. Yes, I'd agree. I'm playing mine now and it's just so gentle, spins nice and fast, you can't hear a thing apart from the tiny noise of the clock and the way and the long timing between the reels stopping is more exciting when you line up 2 fruits for a payout just waiting with suspense for the third to drop in. You know that the first reel has gone through a few cycles as opposed to the Sega, that may drop in first reel without a full cycle. The way it pays out too, you can hardly hear the slides click the coins out. I love it, I'm sitting here typing with the lights off and the warm yellow glow of the Roma hybrid GW lighting up the walls and the carpet.

jimmycowman

Postby jimmycowman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:09 am

You've done well to find that at a flea market! When I go around flea markets the only thing I find is tat!! :-(

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:23 pm

When I go around flea markets the only thing I come back with is fleas. Image
malcymal wrote:I'm sitting here typing with the lights off and the warm yellow glow of the Roma hybrid GW lighting up the walls and the carpet.
Sounds like love! :*:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Beromats and conversions

Postby pennymachines » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:06 pm

PennyMachines wrote:I believe Ruffler & Walker may have been responsible for the metal-fronted conversions and there were surely other Beromat revampers.
The Amusement Equipment Company Ltd. of Wembley converted German wall bandits to the old penny, re-laminated them and Anglicized the screen-printed glasswork but they didn't re-case them as far as I know.
I should have learned not to make assumptions. I'm already proved wrong by a Princess on ebay, a re-cased Beromat-type bandit which carries the The Amusement Equipment Company Ltd. badge. Does that mean it was AMECO, not Ruffler & Walker that made all the Princess and Duchess metal-front bandits?
princess.jpg
princess.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
AMECO.jpg
AMECO.jpg (8.64 KiB) Viewed 3016 times

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:53 pm

I used to have one of these Ameco wooden beasties and thought it a beauty. The work gone into that case and the big heavy payout tray was a work of art straight out of my childhood.

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:40 pm

I think AMECO were just suppliers as I had one of their badges nailed to a Nelson Lee working model.
These revamps were also done in Southend

fotoman

Re: Duchess Mk 3 Bandit

Postby fotoman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Topic merged- site Admin.

Does anyone else have any more info on this?
I just purchased one here in the USA.
Any idea of value?
Also has anyone converted one to work with other coins?

And lastly, the payout on mine isn't working.
Any good reference materials I should read?
Thanks for any help.

Daren

malcymal

Re: Duchess Mk 3 Bandit

Postby malcymal » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:38 am

Looks like be an AMECO. Check out earlier in this thread.

I have a Beromat conversion, I love them. The simplicity is pure brilliance and the 15 second reel spin with gentle stopping is charming over the noisy clunk of other bandits. Nice find.

You can view my Beromat Conversions earlier in this thread. Believed to have been created by VALE of Wales. One of my favourite bandits out of my four at home.