Watling tool for cycling the mechanism when it is taken out of the cabinet

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
lol_penny

Watling tool for cycling the mechanism when it is taken out of the cabinet

Post by lol_penny »

I am looking for an original watling handle for cycling the mechanism when it is taken out of the cabinet. It is made of cast metal and has a small screw that tightens the tool to stop it slipping. I have attached a photo of an original tool. It is engraved "compliments of Watling MFG Co".

I know that you can get a reproduction copy of the tool but it is cast in aluminum which is much lighter than the original tool and also it does not have the threaded screw. I have attached two photos. One shows the original Watling tool on the left and the reproduction on the right. As you can see the reproduction is thinner in width and flat on one side unlike the original which protrudes from the body on each side. The threaded screw has been taken out of the tool. Although the repro is flat on one side it functions perfectly well and does a good job, but I would still like to acquire an original tool.

If anyone has this tool for sale or knows somebody who has one for sale please can you send me a PM. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lol
Attachments
Watling handle for mechanism when taken out of case..JPG
Original (left) & Copy (right).JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Watling tool for cycling the mechanism when it is taken out of the cabinet

Post by badpenny »

Sorry chap, I've no idea.
I have heard of such beasts for Mills and I think Jennings but I've never seen one, good luck with your search.

The next time Nursey pops up to Mr.P's room with a hot towel and baby lotion, could she please ask him to comment on the trend over the last year for contributors to post their "Wanteds" in the general body of the forum instead of The Market? :!?!:

BP Seeking Direction !LOOK!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Again I'm going to say this is the weak point of this otherwise glorious forum! I for one prefer to see the adverts either buying or selling in the forum as then it's possible to get into discussions about them. Rarely do I even remember to look at the Market, which when i do seems to be almost empty anyway. The few other vintage sites I've been interested in over the years (coin-op and non coin-op) all have Wanted & For Sale categories built into the Forums, and none of those sites seem to have any issues with it like Mr PM does? I realise the site is his to do with as he wishes, but without us all contributing posts it wouldn't have brought up anywhere near as much valuable info as it has. Yes PM knows more than anybody here, but we certainly help fill in the gaps quite well!

And see answer below for why I prefer Wants etc in thew Forum so we can easily get into discussions!:

As for that Watling tool. Unless you're madly keen on only having the vintage original, then that's something it would be easy enough (if you have basic skills of course!) to cut and weld/braze up yourself in steel at the workbench in 3 or 4 hours. Or less skill needed option #2, by adding car filler putty to the alloy recast to reshape it like the original, with added size to account for 5% or so shrinkage then have your local foundry cast a few in iron/brass/alloy. Or option #3 is to weld or braze on the missing alloy needed to the re-cast version and tap a hole for that locking bolt.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

My view is that items for sale stay in The Market, and Wanteds are OK in the body of the forum..
My reasons ....
If I'm interested to see if anybody's selling owt, I can go to The Market.
However
Although I'm not looking to off load anything really, if someone badly needs a bit, it'll jog my mind that I have one behind the clock on the mantle piece.
Also people rarely know exactly what they need, and want to describe what's happening/not happening and discuss their options. This in turn leads to a request for the elusive Back Pedalling Metric Glange Thruster. All of which is going to occur within the forum itself.
However The Geezer to decide is Mr. P :didact:
JC

Post by JC »

I think I more or less agree with you BP - For Sale ads should always be placed in the Market; it's what it's there for. I think general Wanted ads should also go in the Market (say, along the lines of 'Wanted, one-armed bandit, anything considered').
However, this particular request sits very well in the forum, and could serve as reference in the future.

By the way, exactly how big is your clock and how substantial is your mantelpiece?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well ..... I've never really compared it .... OH HANG ON! You said clock, sorry.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

:HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

JC wrote: For Sale ads should always be placed in the Market; it's what it's there for. I think general Wanted ads should also go in the Market (say, along the lines of 'Wanted, one-armed bandit, anything considered').
However, this particular request sits very well in the forum, and could serve as reference in the future.
Thanks JC you've sharpened what I was trying to say. !THUMBS!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I just checked and there is one (1) item listed in the whole of the Market! Wow, really humming along there. But of course that would be because only one Forum member has any surplus machines or parts to sell. :HaHa: :HaHa: The reason new users always seem to post in the Forum and not the Market is because it's confusing and not the way any of the other sites work. And those sites have lots of items listed and sold to other users. Why won't anybody admit it's a crappy system that doesn't work well and get over it?!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

An old debate resurfaced, but is unlikely the change anything......I believe should be able to ask if something they have available as often a debate maybe needed to assist and I do not see any controversy. If someone is asking a general request for a machine, no harm being in a market area.

I have noticed anyway most wanted requests are not pushed back anymore and I have responded a few times if being able to help....

Selling, although seemingly controversial, I am not sure why this is the case as whether in the market or forum, you still have to respond and get there first if interested, so no difference really.

As mentioned the market has died this year, in fact perhaps general posts have slowed and we all need to put back energy and contribute. I noticed I had not logged in for a month until yesterday, (had a partial excuse being on holiday and missed the elephant auction which is rare for me)

Also with MMM gone, there use to be loads of ads, wants, sales there with useful contacts. I bought some great stuff from a seller in the last year of the mag, but this has not transitioned to this site, which is a shame as of course it is free to post, Why?

Must make a more effort by all dirtdog
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

At the end of the day if nobody wants to sell anything the whole thing is pointless anyway.

It's the same with live auctions if you don't stand up to be counted when it comes to submitting stuff there won't be any auctions.
The reason I raised the question is from a moderator point of view. What with Mr. P. residing in Bermuda and us mods in the cellar of Penny Machines Towers in the converted mill at Simmonite with the other 300 employees of Penny Machines it's sometimes trifficult to know what to do for the best.

I don't want to jump down the throat of newbies by pointing out the conditions and rules which they just signed up to.
So I'm suggesting "For Sales" go in the Market as do "I want a such and such".
However asking for assistance and "how do I make this fit?" "anybody got a spare .....?" is likely to help others in the future and should be in the body of the forum.

Now when I get around to it I'll break this bit of the thread off and start a separate one so OP can concentrate on his Pace workbench handle.

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As mentioned the market has died this year, in fact perhaps general posts have slowed
I think this is very true and there is more than one reason this has happened plus its a cumulative effect (if there are no posts there will be no responses ) Volume of posts is always the life blood of any forum and always has been,if you get used to not seeing new posts every day you dont log on every day The forum no longer has that upto date,action every day feel to it, although I suspect some members like it that way. We lost two new members this last six months because the early response to there first question was negative. The first response to one newbes question about wanting to buy a particular type of machine was " well good luck with that mate" ..... I dont think he ever posted again.

The problem with the market,and its very lack of use sadly proves this, is people dont like selling/buying that way. The biggest lose to us is the stranger who has no long term interest in the hobby contacting us with a small collection,a machine hes found in the attic or one that was left to him by his dad and asking if any one want to buy, he gets told straight away you must put it in the market,usually we never here from them again and we lose the chance to save another machine(unless a member contacts them direct,once again avoiding the market)
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

As most of you know, over the last 4 months or so this forum and the good folks on it has helped me out several times !WORSHIPFULL! . Unfortunately I have been forced to sell two of the machines that I've had so much help with,the Cashcendo and the Cop A Lot, I more than tripled my investment in them but I had a look at selling on the market and it just seemed too much hassle so I sold elsewhere.
There is probably a sound argument to open up the market perhaps, I think most people will usually just settle for the ease of access. I don't know :!?!: how the forum works or why the market seems less accessible but that's just my thoughts.....One plus from it all, I can use a bit of that profit to spend a little more on the Bonanza Star!! !!THUMBSX2!!