Allwins and the Like.. How do they work?

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
markymark

Allwins and the Like.. How do they work?

Post by markymark »

Just wondered... I've always been a great mechanical gadget fan, especially when it comes to one arm bandit slots! Always looked upon the flick/ball Allwin type wall machines as basic and simple - However, since joining this site I've seen some of you put pictures of the workings of these machines.. WoW! I'm hooked, the sheer amount of chutes, spings, connectors and things bolted in the back of these things is incredible.
I have to admit im having trouble getting my head around how they work.
Has anyone or could someone set up a video camera and film the back of the machine while explaining how it works, then maybe put it on Youtube.com Im thinking of doing one on my Sega slot machine (even though im no expert!), but im sure other people would be fascinated with the workings! I can't believe no-ones done a video of picture step by step to how things work on youtube! Any takers!!! Or can someone point me in the right direction for a guide to how these wall machines work!
thx
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Ah! you have raised some memories with this one! For a bit of an idea on their operation you need to look up the following topics on the forum 'I need help to specify construction' and ' i need help - allwins'...I think our enthusiasm was taken for a bit of a ride here, but it's at least worth a look. However, you are right that info could be posted on youtube (by those technically able - might have to consult the kids myself).
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, check out the various topics in. Build a slot machine forum.
Whilst most of us gave a light hearted response to these (sometimes ridiculous) posts, Coin-op did some stirling work in trying to explain the workings of an allwin.
However, my best advice is to buy an allwin. No youtube video could ever better explain the (comparatively simple) workings of an allwin than actually having your own to dissect on the kitchen table. Your wife might prefer the youtube option, but you'll get more satisfaction from taking apart your own machine.

Jerry
cadillac55uk

Post by cadillac55uk »

I agree 100% with the take it to pieces and rebuild it option. One thing I will say is...... before you take it to pieces take as many photos as you can so you know where everything goes back! How many times have we taken things to pieces and been left with the odd screw, spring or bit of mech :-?
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

They are very simple, and I'll try to post some video as you suggest, but lighting conditions are too poor at the moment and I don't have any supplementary lighting, but here's how mine works.

The dropping of the penny activates a see-saw lever which releases the ball. If you lose, the ball returns to the same place for the next go, and so on.

The payout knob will not turn if you lose, there is a horizontal slider but its lateral movement is mechanically blocked. If you win, the ball lands on top of one end of the slider and sits there, the weight of the ball depresses the slider which is essentially another see-saw and this then allows the slider to move. The turning of the payout knob now moves a cradle backwards and then forwards, and this pushes the prize (in my case, a Penguin bar) backwards out of the prize holder and it drops into the prize slot. At the same time, the ball is released back into the start position.

I'll try to post some video when I can.