Bell Fruit Cascade

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Cascade wood finish?

Post by badpenny »

All the ones I've had have just been an oak varnished finish.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Cascade wood finish?

Post by pennymachines »

I'm not sure what the cabinets are made of - a dense-grained hardwood, possibly iroko, with similarly veneered ply front. Being a '70s machine, the rather thin matt finish might be polyurethane. I'd probably go for Danish or Tung Oil over diluted teak wood dye.
lukewells

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade flicker lever

Post by lukewells »

Hi gents,

Is there anyone on here that can reproduce these (they seem to be a very common missing item so I am not sure why they were not done along with the trips?)

Hoping to exhibit the machine a couple of times this year if I can get it finished, so please help me find one / reproduce one if you can. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
treefrog

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade flicker lever

Post by treefrog »

I guess you will have to just make one as the cost in reproducing them probably is not worth it.....It might be worthwhile looking on the German ebay site, as there a number of almost identical variants which seem to have been a popular machine there where a hammer of a similar size may some available, I have seen the trips for sale on there. If one does come up it may be easier to modify if needed than from scratch.
treefrog

Not so complete Cascade

Post by treefrog »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Like the description of this Cascade on ebay at the moment
Here we have my penny cascade. I am moving to a smaller house so need to have a bit of a clear out. The cabinet is in great shape and has aged nicely, it has the odd mark and scratch here and there but nothing new so it all looks in keeping with its age. Inside is in good shape as well and seems to be complete and in working order
Apart from the missing coin box, it is also missing all the coin levers/triggers. I suspect it may have something to do with the missing pressure bar on the rear of the playfield, unless they are all in the payout cup... I wonder how this is "complete and working"

See what this goes for, as these machines seem to fetch high prices at the moment..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160754855378? ... 838wt_1185
Attachments
casc1.jpg
casc2.jpg
raj

Re: Not so complete Cascade

Post by raj »

I asked the seller yesterday how it works with half the parts missing & he responded, with attitude, !!GRUMP!! that he never claimed that it did work. I see he has now cleaned up his ad to be a bit more truthful. I have no end of machines that don't work either, if anyone wants to buy them ! only joking !!THUMBSX2!!
raj

Tripless Cascade...again

Post by raj »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bell- ... 4ab6e0baa7

The ever popular trip-less Cascade has reappeared again on a £250 BiN. Very little description except 'good condition' and 'Oak case' (not).
I have asked the seller if it works, so it will be interesting to see if I get a response!
daveslot

Re: Tripless Cascade...again

Post by daveslot »

This was actually sold at Charterhouse auction today at about 1 pm, listed at 2pm. Amazing!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It fetched £100 + buyers premium of 19.5% + VAT
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I do wonder where all the trips go. I know they drop off as soon as you remove the play field and are a bugger to put back, but you would have to remove the bolts... There were some for sale ages ago in the market on this site. If they are available, it is a nice cabinet to make a good machine.
raj

Post by raj »

The seller responded to me that he had a number of similar questions about whether it worked or not, but has not put anything on the ad. Anyway, the trips are £35 a set on this site.
They will fall off if the tension bar is released, which begs the question, if there a bar in place, or have the retaining bolts pulled out of the frame? Often the base is warped by overtightening and damp, so the pins and trips don't hold flush with the glass and they just fall off.
Buyer beware on this one, it might be an easy fix, but chances are there will be other parts missing.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

I tried to check it in the auction but it was locked and no key.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Perhaps the trips are inside wrapped up in a nice baggie next to a tin of sovereigns. :!?!:
raj

Post by raj »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bell- ... 4ab732a61e
yes, it's back again like a bad penny, this time missing the bonus top trip...... :NBG:
minidaz

Bell fruit Cascade question

Post by minidaz »

After spotting this on ebay :
Cascade penny slot wall machine
I've been doing a bit of reading on here, and looking at previous ebay pics, and I need help :D
cascade.JPG

I understand that quite often these have parts missing, so don't know from looking at the photos if this is complete or not.
If anyone could have a look at the pics and give me their views, that would be great.

Cheers
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bell fruit Cascade question

Post by pennymachines »

Almost all present and correct - 11 trips, coin striker and coin validator (seen in the other picture), coin box too! The upper (female) bonus trip is missing - available in Spares.
minidaz

Post by minidaz »

Thanks for that pennymachines, that's very helpful, and also good to know that spares are available.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's astonishing how particular machines have increased in value at the same time as some prices have stood still or even dropped.

Jennings Governors are currently worth what they were fetching 15 years ago.
Clown Catchers, large allwins and Merchantman Cranes and Tinny Mutoscopes also.
Middle range bandits like Hi-tops, Mad Money and Clubmasters have risen no more than £100 in the same time.

It seems to me that English electro mech wall machines are having a good time at the moment considering that 10 to fifteen years ago they fetched less than a ton a time.

However the Bell Fruit Cascade, of which I have owned many a number and never paid more than £85 for is currently commanding over £300 with bits missing!
My flabber has never been so gasted ...... if only we could see the future eh?

BP
minidaz

Post by minidaz »

For someone new to actually purchasing these old games, knowing what to pay can be a bit of a mind field : complete, original, repro, spares / repair etc etc.
I do like the idea of a Bell Fruit Cascade, but feel at the moment, for me anyway, over £400 with the need to take it apart and buy bits to complete, is a bit too steep.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I am astonished - £410.10 after 25 bids :o