Bell Fruit Cascade

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
raj

Bell Fruit Cascade

Post by raj »

Are these still available to buy, or did they drop off the new website? (as they do on the actual machine!)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: CASCADE TRIPS

Post by pennymachines »

malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Did you win the one on ebay in the last few days. See there is another one back on for sale.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It's like buses as there has been three going over the last week.....I am having a punt one local to me...
raj

Post by raj »

Thanks for the reply, haven't bothered with the ones on sale, I sometimes think they are more trouble than they are worth. Any flexing of the ply means the gap between the glass and the trips varies & the trips fall off, usually 5 mins after the buyer turns up! The one on ebay looks like the coin kicker may be missing, which means more work. Having seen the original German coin drop machines, the Cascade seems a very poor quality and overpriced copy.
treefrog

Bell Fruit Cascade De Luxe

Post by treefrog »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Been thinking about getting one of these low cost coin drop machines for a while, but having seen two variations, can anyone confirm the difference between a standard Cascade and the De Luxe model as when I look at them, they look the same. Is there a bonus feature on the luxe model, if so how does this work.......
!PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade De Luxe

Post by pennymachines »

There is a Bonus on the Cascade Deluxe, but I'm not sure I've seen a Cascade without it. It consists of a column which when full contains nine coins. To win this "jackpot" you have to fire a coin into the target far left of playfield. This triggers the full cascade, releasing one coin from each column, all coins from the bonus column and returning your original coin for a total payout of 15 coins.
http://users.powernet.co.uk/carlton/jukes/slots.html
raj

Post by raj »

The Cascade is great fun to play, takes up little room & is simplicity itself in operation,however you need a great deal of patience when the trips fall off!!. The only thing holding them on the pins is pressure against the plate glass front from a sprung metal band pressing against a plywood base. Over time the ply can become distorted by over tightening or damp & the trips will tend to fall off. They are available through this forum, however if your prospective purchase has them missing, the chances are the back board has seen better days.
The concept of the coin drop is as old as the hills & there are many German gems on the web, which the Cascade was copied from. take a look at this site http://www.automatix-club.de/index.php? ... &Itemid=37
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

This machine looks almost identical to the one on that site and dated 1930. I have bought one, but yet to collect and knew about the delicate nature of the levers, but could not see a difference between the Deluxe and non-deluxe. I can only assume that this was a marketing ploy, maybe when sales were dropping or is so subtle, like a slightly different finish, that it is not obvious from pictures.

Given how delicate they are, I am surprised so many ebay sellers of these are willing to ship them - apart from the risk of the glass breaking, the levers may well end up not where one would expect on arrival.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I now have the Cascade, the seller kindly delivered in person gratis.....This was one of two from the same seller on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I assumed it was a mistake as although the pictures were from different positions, the machines based on certain markings looked the same. Anyway I asked the seller if there were two and yes they were, so bid on the second machine as the first one had 5 or 6 bidders. Of course no-one bid on the second one, I assume based on it being a possible mistake.

So my reasonably priced Cascade, does it work as it should, as having read many other posts around the issues with these, initial appearances seem good. The hammer is there, trips look to be there, on test it pays out. A question though, I have no idea how these should payout. If I win the left hand win, it pays a coin from left to right to each of the next columns, except the last (not bonus)
The last column seems to only pay when the right hand win is hit. Not sure if this is right.

The main issue that maybe wrong is when the columns are full they roll down to the far right bonus column, which lets the coins through. So you can't lose. I assume my right hand column should be holding the coins so they then drop the column to the left which I assume goes to the operator. If this is the case I need to work out why the bonus trip is allowing the coin through, but how do you win the bonus column?

Apologies if this sounds cryptic, but all guidance welcome....
terry

Post by terry »

Hi Treefrog. All coins that roll into the bonus column should be retained there by a vertical trip that is a different shape to the others. If the coins are running through your bonus column it sounds like your trip is either absent or the top piece is the wrong way round. When this column is full, the coins are then diverted into the overflow hole and from there to the cash box. If you get a coin into the far left win hole, it triggers a cascade (hence the name) of pennies from each column including the whole bonus column. I'm just about to piece my one together so let me know your email and I can send a photo or two if it helps.

These are simple machines which I believe derive from a 1930's German patent. I have very fond memories of playing one at the Blue Anchor hotel in Somerset as a child in the 70's so a Bellfruit Cascade is an essential machine for me to own!

All the best.

Terry.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Terry,

Perfect !!THUMBSX2!! , I noticed the bonus top trip has a slight angle and with the stop on the right and sloping to the left, there was nothing to support it, so taken off the panel, turned around the top trip and hey presto, it all works including the bonus when the far left win it tripped...

many thanks for your help, I agree this is great fun but so simple.....
terry

Post by terry »

I just pieced my Cascade together too and surprise surprise, found that my bonus trip was round the wrong way too! Some ingenious past owner had nailed all the trips with holes into place but obviously got that one wrong. I'd forgotten what a nightmare these machines are. You can't clear a jam or make an adjustment without pennies and trips falling all over the floor. All working now apart from the coin flicker keeps falling out as the shoulder screw holding it in place keeps untightening itself...aaargh!! :dammit:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Try a little ptfe tape around the thread
lukewells

Bell Fruit Cascade flicker lever

Post by lukewells »

Hi everyone,

The final missing part in my Cascade machine is the coin flicker lever.

I would like to buy one if anyone has one available (a long shot I know!)

Alternatively if someone who has a Cascade machine could be so kind as to trace their part onto a piece of cardboard, I could probably get one made.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Luke.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade flicker lever

Post by pennymachines »

The coin flicker levers (strikers) are often missing because they are held in place by a single machine screw. This goes through the slot in the striker and screws into a plate on the machine. The striker must run freely against the screw with the slot limiting its travel. The striker below was made to replace one that was missing.

The last picture shows how to arrange the trips you bought. Notice the top of the upper Bonus trip (where the coins stack against it) has a slight chamfer. You have to get this the right way around (chamfer sloping down to the right) or the coins can bounce past the trip instead of lodging above it.
Cascade picture here: http://users.powernet.co.uk/carlton/jukes/slots.html
Attachments
CascadeStriker1.jpg
CascadeStriker2.jpg
CascadeTrips.jpg
lukewells

Post by lukewells »

Thankyou kind sir for the information.

I should be able to get one made from that photo, but in the meantime if anyone has one for sale I am still interested

Many thanks

Luke
mervyngoodhew

Post by mervyngoodhew »

There is one for sale on ebay no. 170539826534
lukewells

Post by lukewells »

With the flicker missing it seems.
lukewells

Cascade wood finish?

Post by lukewells »

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my Bell Fruit Cascade machine.

I have just finished stripping it down and sanding it (as the varnish was flaking and looked terrible)

Now that the woodwork is stripped, what would be the correct finish to apply making it look as original as possible?

Many thanks for your help

Luke