Bell Fruit Cascade

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
cait001

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade

Post by cait001 »

Yeah, I am hoping to bring it on the plane with me in my hands, so that's why I'm looking for the exact dimensions to see if that's a possibility.
One of these darn things has got to make it's way to North America somehow! I've given up hope on a pajatso proper, but Cascade is an exact copy of a 1930s Finnish pajatso design, so that should be good enough for my purposes. ;)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Make a bubble wrap jacket for it, easy to take off if customs want to look inside, (and put back on again) then a nylon rope tied criss cross around it like a parcel and carry it by the rope much like a suitcase and make it look light and easy to carry.
Don't forget to get them to put a 'accepted for cabin luggage' label on it at check in, It will fit through the X-ray scanner at security no problem.
If they still ask you to check it in once you're at the gate, show them the 'accepted for cabin label' and say the purser will put it in the crew wardrobe. Adopt a positive demeanour like you carry these on board all the time.
Home and dry, try not to drop it when you get off at the other end.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Professional pajatso cheats...

moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I guess the view you take on this depends on which side of the fence you were. In the UK it was a constant battle with cheats, from electro mechanical machines and the wrapping rolls of old 10p coins in sellotape, slicing them into single coins again with the extra band around them and rolling straight through the 50p slots, to early electronic fishing with strimmer wire with £1 attached through Mars mechs crediting multiple games. We were always playing catch up with the latest scam.
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

cait001 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:51 pm Can someone give me the exact dimensions of a Cascade, and weight?

Measurements: 30 1/2 x 19 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

livinginthepast wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:09 pm Measurements: 30 1/2 x 19 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches.

Thank you!

pennymachines wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:56 am Professional pajatso cheats...

LMAO when they just picked the damn thing up and turned it upside down :lol:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Just a couple of thoughts....

Do you have a tension bar on the rear of the play field? You should have, as it holds it to the glass. These are tensioned with two thumb screws and I recall having a similar issue where these were over-tightened not giving free movement across all parts of playfield. Also, they should probably not be over-tightened risking cracking glass. Pressure is there to just hold coins close enough without dropping past guides. Maybe try releasing these bit by bit to see if it helps.

Secondly, later steel coins are not the same thickness as copper ones. Ever noticed if you get a difference from the variation?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The change in 1np coins has perplexed anyone with a post decimal or decimal converted machine.
The steel content falls foul of coin ejectors with magnets, and the increased thickness stops any comparator devices.

BP :cool:
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

Cascade weight 38lb
cait001

Post by cait001 »

what year was Cascade made?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

cait001 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:25 pm what year was Cascade made?
Very early 1970s, immediately after decimalisation was foisted on us in The UK.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

I remember reading 1972 somewhere, but now I can't verify. Does anyone know for sure? Seems odd considering it wasn't that long ago compared to some machines we all collect. :didact:
with American pinball you can often trace dates to manufacturer press releases and ads in trade magazines. Does the UK have their own we could verify in?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

1972 sounds right, but I've never seen anything definitive like a dated flyer, and there wasn't a patent as it was essentially a copy of much earlier games. The requisite 1p coin was available from 15 February 1971 when we went fully decimal. Bell Fruit seem to have churned out a lot over a short period, but it was a bit of a side line to their gaming machine activity.

Bell-Fruit Manufacturing Co. Ltd, Leen Gate - Old Lenton, From 'The Lenton Listener' Issue 44 February - March 1987 (no mention of the Cascade).
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Thanks, I'll just run with 1972 until corrected otherwise. :)
cait001

Post by cait001 »

cait001 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 am does anyone know where I can find a Cascade machine for sale? I am in Canada and willing to ship...
I GOT ONE!!!!

20200228_180543.jpg

Thanks so much to the seller, he was willing to pack it up securely and it got to me in one piece. Spent a day taking it apart and fixing it and now it plays lovely.
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020/ ... scade.html
It even had a wooden coin box.

Thanks to this forum, I knew how to begin troubleshooting all the normal things, and made short work of it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done chap, you must be chuffed, you've been after one of these for yonks!

BP !!YIPPEE!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

well done !! whats next? !PUZZLED!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Wow, you did it. Hats off to you as I was certainly pessimistic that anybody would ship it from here. Well done.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The rewards of perseverance. .:*+*:. Excellent news!
cait001

Post by cait001 »

coppinpr wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:16 am well done !! whats next? !PUZZLED!
As far as European machines go, I now have a Cascade, Rialto, Win A Spangles, and a Ballwin Deluxe.
Aside from a full-sized Nordic pajatso machine, there are only a few other European machines I'm looking for to the point where I'd pay the serious shipping premiums, like Win-A-Lot, Flik Flak (German), Challenger, Easy Push, or maybe a multi-stage allwin like The Hat Trick or Steeple Chase.