Bell Fruit Cascade

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
widget2k4

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade

Post by widget2k4 »

pins removed and working perfect now :)
timearl

Trying to identify an old machine

Post by timearl »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi Everyone,

This is a real long shot, so if you like a challenge, please read on!

I’m trying to identify a machine I used to play many years ago. It was a simple manual mechanism - a box with a glass face over a solid back board. The gap between them was the thickness of a new penny. In one side of the box was a slot for a penny (or it might even have been a halfpenny, that’s how long ago it was).

To play, you put a penny into the slot, and it came to rest against the inner end of a sliding metal bar. The other end of this bar was outside the box, and you tapped the outer end of it to shoot the penny in an arc across the machine, between the glass face and the backboard.

There were five winning slots to aim for. If the penny dropped into the first slot it would come back to you and on the way it would trigger a lever and release another penny from a column under the winning slot.

The second slot would win you two extra pennies, the third three pennies and so on. If you hit the fifth slot, the five pennies that were released would also trigger a second lever which released a further five pennies making ten in all.

Pennies that missed all the winning slots would go to replenish those that were waiting to be released by winning pennies, until the column was full. After that, they would drop through into the back of the machine as profit for the owner.

Thanks for any help,

Tim
daveslot

Re: Trying to identify an old machine

Post by daveslot »

Sounds like a Cascade, just search on here there will be loads.

(Merged above - Site Admin.)
timearl

Re: Trying to identify an old machine

Post by timearl »

That's the one Dave, thanks very much,

Tim
cait001

Post by cait001 »

does anyone know where I can find a Cascade machine for sale? I am in Canada and willing to ship...
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I sold one on eBay just over a week ago was cheap as well, not sure I would have risked shipping to Canada though..... maybe someone will......good luck
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The problems involved with shipping a Cascade lie in the area of the front glass.

All of the graphics are on the glass, if that breaks you won't get a replacement. Also the glass is all that holds all of the trips in place, if they come loose, you'll not only have immense fun finding them, identifying them and then get them back in place in the correct order (everyone puts the jackpot trips in backwards!) you'll end up with at least one escaping. You can get replacements though, it's just all hassle.

You'll also need a big bag of 1np coins unless Canada has an identical diameter, thickness and weight coin?

Good luck
BP :cool:
cait001

Post by cait001 »

thanks, everyone! Yeah I don't imagine it will be an easy or cheap thing to ship, but hopefully I can find someone to go on that journey with me and do a ridiculous packaging job on it. ;)
I could see removing the glass, wrapping it separately in piles of bubble wrap, securing in a tough box, and then putting that box with the rest of the unit. Not perfect, but fingers crossed it might survive.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

why not just visit here, have a holiday, and take one back with you, they're not particularly bulky or heavy
cait001

Post by cait001 »

moonriver wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 pm why not just visit here, have a holiday, and take one back with you, they're not particularly bulky or heavy
ha, I wish! :)
One day, we shall see. thanks for the invite.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

treefrog wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:39 pm Well I sold one on eBay just over a week ago was cheap as well, not sure I would have risked shipping to Canada though..... maybe someone will......good luck
Oh hey I just pulled up your sales. Damn, yeah, good price. I would have easily gone higher.
Unsure if someone would undertake it, but I would totally pay for the shipping and the effort that does into the "handling" of shipping something like that over sees. What would be a decent rate for S&H you estimate? £100?

Let me know if you come across another and want to give it a go, I will do a fair price. :)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

cait001 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:03 am
moonriver wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 pm why not just visit here, have a holiday, and take one back with you, they're not particularly bulky or heavy
ha, I wish! :)
One day, we shall see. thanks for the invite.
No worries, the site's Administrative Assistant Human Resources and Tourism officer will meet you at the airport. He will be the one waving wildly and holding up a small card with the letters BP on it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Now I am seriously worried.....
When I left school I went to work in a travel agency for 3 years.
At the peak of my working life I was a Human Resources Director for one of the largest employers in the UK.
If you are aware of my actions on the 24th June 1999 please keep quiet. !OMFG!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

too late now, your file has been released under the thirty year rule!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Before you start altering permanently.
Remember that when coins are employed as part of the game they carry with them all the grease, dirt and fluff they gather from every pocket and purse they've been in. That gets transferred to the next place they end up in.

If this was my machine, I'd remove the playfield from the case, get all of the coins off the playfield and feel the smoothness or lack of in the trips when they move. I bet when you look at the playfield without coins you'll still see all of the outlines of them. That's the dirt, and it's slowing and grabbing the coins.
remove it all, and when dry polish it with a furniture spray. Clean the inside of the glass as well.

We'll all now await your next post, which you should title, "How do I get a Bell Cascade back together without the trips all falling off?" Someone then will reply and tell you about laying two chairs face to face with you lying on the floor between them and reaching up.

ps when you clean the glass on the inside, remember it's the side with the transfer on, we can get replacement trips, but I've never seen replacement transfers.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

A wise man posted on here you need to lay two chairs face to face with you lying on the floor between them and reaching up. Can't for the life of me think who it was? :lol: It's quite amazing how the subject of the Bell Fruit Cascade has come up. I always fancied one of these but I have a bad back and don't think I'd be able to get up off the floor and somebody would find me five years later as a skeleton sandwiched between two chairs with a Bell Fruit Cascade impaled upon my skull; probably.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

OK, maybe time for a new plan. Can someone give me the exact dimensions of a Cascade, and weight?

I am heading to London next spring and wonder if I can maybe bring one home with me on the plane...
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not got one in front me now, but must be light, 10 to 15 kg I reckon and smaller than most Allwins...... Big issue will be the glass and how to get through without breaking. I wouldn’t trust luggage people. Although you could take out and carefully apply to back of cabinet with layers of padding flat and strapped...... Not sure you would get through as hand luggage, but again glass would need to be well protected...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You'd need to protect the glass not only from the outside.
You'd need to fill the void inside as well, probably pack the gap between the playfield and glass with compressed foam rubber.

moonriver

Post by moonriver »

At check in I'd either get them to put it into the fragile hold, or persuade them to put a 'passed for cabin luggage' label on it and carry it onboard and ask the purser to put it into the crew wardrobe.
I do this frequently when travelling back from the US without any issues at all.