Penny Slot Diorama Railway Memories

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
steve

Penny Slot Diorama Railway Memories

Post by steve »

I must apologise from the outset, as I have only very vague memories and little detail, regarding my question.
Many years ago now, maybe 22 or so, I visited Blackpool for my first and only time. During a walk down the mile, I went in one of the many arcades (it could have been close to a Dr Who exhibition??)
I remember many machines, and a quite old feel to the place, and it was big. I discovered a glass top machine, featuring a fascinating, if simple, Railway amusement, which in my head I recall consisted of an engine shed, 2 or 3 stalls, with diesels about the scale of garden railways (g scale or maybe a touch smaller). You put your money in and the trains went in and out of the shed. I think you could control them, to a degree.....
But that is all I recall, I'm afraid...
For some reason this machine has stuck in my head, and finally I thought I would try to discover more about it, if they still exist, etc.
I am a Railway nut! and it is my passion...
So I am hoping very much, some of you may just know what I'm talking about?
I thank you in advance, and look forward to hearing from you.
All the very best,
Steve. sylvester_steve@hotmail.com
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Coin-operated train set

Post by pennymachines »

Did it look like this?

I was just reviewing Darren Hesketh's new book Penny-in-the-Slot Automata & the Working Model when I read your question.

It seems likely this is the one you saw - it's at Edwardian Seaside Fun, Pleasure Beach, Blackpool.
A long-established favourite that can still be seen running today. Many such models were quite elaborate, some including the effect of smoke appearing from the engine's chimney and the sound of whistling. Huge cased-in model. Maker unknown.
I can see a speaker for sound effects, but no user controls.

There are a few other very fine early models from the age of steam at the front of the book, including a circa 1881 Stephenson's "Rocket".
Attachments
Publication promotional image.
Publication promotional image.
railway.jpg (62.99 KiB) Viewed 8737 times
steve

Is this the train?

Post by steve »

:D Hello,
Many thanks for the information, it is a super looking machine. No it's not the one I remember, but that does not matter. I think I may have come across very similar looking machines when I was younger, on my many visits, to Scarborough, and Bridlington e.t.c...... I later lived in Bridlington for over 20 years! But when I lived there rarely visited the arcades?

No the machine I saw was in comparison quite small, say no more than 2 feet wide, if that, or maybe approx 2 feet square?? and not very deep...

I would be very interested in any info, on railway type machines... and who knows, one day, the one I remember may turn up.
But for the moment, many thanks.
All the best
Steve ;-)
john t peterson

Is this the train?

Post by john t peterson »

Take a look at Steve Hunt's auction item 136, titled "Train Test - conversion of a 1930's merchandiser." Is this possibly what you remember?
john t peterson

A picture of the "Train Test."

Post by john t peterson »

Here is the picture from the online catalogue for the "Train Test."
Attachments
136.jpg
136.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 8361 times
steve

A picture of the "Train Test."

Post by steve »

:P Hi John,

I have only just received notification of your postings? It is so long since I originally asked about the Railway Slot machine, I had forgotten about it.
But it was nice to hear from you, and from what I can see from the photo you kindly posted, it was not this machine I am afraid.

No, the machine I saw was probably a more modern offering... looking at the trains on it and they were bigger than the HO/OO Scale. I only use the modeling terms to give people an idea. I know the railway machines were probably not to any exact scale, but if you could imagine something a little bigger than O scale, then you can visualise the approximate size of the locomotives in the machine I viewed in Blackpool.

It was a very simple machine to operate with large buttons. The entire machine would have only been about 2 feet 6 inches square, but I can not be precise. It was basically an Engine Shed scene with possibly 4 different coloured diesel locomotives running out of the engine shed to a siding or similar..very simple but I was fascinated by it.

Hope this additional description helps to jog a few memories.

And once again, many thanks for your kind assistance.

All the best
Steve :D
coppinpr

Coin operated train set

Post by coppinpr »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I saw this on ebay (it's modern, not old in any way) and it made me think of the coin operated trains you used to get in toy and model shop windows, You dropped your coin in through a slit in the shop window and a train ran for a couple of minutes. The last one I saw was in Tooting, SW London. Gone now but still going about 5 years ago. Anyone else remember those shop window trains?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coin-Operated ... 6016.l4276

I can't imagine this modern one earns much - too slow for modern kids. He says it's on site, earning money and is a great money earner, so why sell it?
Attachments
coin-op-trainJPG.JPG
mec176

Penny Slot Railway Diarama Memories

Post by mec176 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hello to all, my first post hoping someone can help, back in the 1950's we use to go to Bridlington for our holidays, in the Joy Land arcade at the bottom of Lamplugh Road North side of Bridlington there was a penny slot display case, about three foot square, that had a display of a Hornby O Gauge train set in a country lay out setting you put a penny in and it ran around for a bit, I know all this has now gone but I wondered if any one had a picture of this amusement or where I could find one if one still exists today, I'm 65 and have fond memories of this as a child and would like, if possible, to see one again or a picture, I have searched the net and Hornby sites but as yet nothing, I bought the book Pennies by the Sea but there is no mention of it in there.
Many Thanks Steve.
treefrog

Re: 1950 Penny Slot Diarama Memories

Post by treefrog »

Welcome to the forum....

If it is the machine I think you're referring to, these were made by Cromptons and they do come up for sale. I have seen them for only a few hundred quid and wonder if they also were in shops and other locations.

See below:
Attachments
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG
dutchboy

Re: 1950 Penny Slot Diarama Memories

Post by dutchboy »

Treefrog you were a little bit faster than me. My reading in English takes a little more time. Here's a copy of the link. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ggestions/
mec176

Re: 1950 Penny Slot Diorama Railway Memories

Post by mec176 »

Hello,
Many thanks to all who have replied. The picture sent by John T. Peterson from the online catalogue for the "Train Test" does look a bit familiar but it was a green showcase and it has that 1950s robust build. It was definitely a Hornby O Gauge tin plate electric train set, as that Christmas I received one, but mine was clockwork, and I have collected the same ever since. The one shown by “treefrog” is more on the modern side it seems there are a few of us who have these memories. Cheers Steve MEC176