Play Nine Holes golf penny game

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
mei-mei

Play Nine Holes golf penny game

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, I have just purchased the front glass and shell of the above game. (Pic below) I would love to restore it but it is in pretty poor shape. Does anyone have pics of the workings of this machine and some advice on how to proceed? Thanks Guys, Mei-mei
golf5.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Play Nine Holes golf penny game

Post by pennymachines »

As you've probably discovered, there are no 'workings' as such, just some wiggly tracks (of plastic, wood or metal) that the penny runs over, fixed to a metal backplate. So it's just a matter of carefully removing, and even more carefully cleaning the glass without damaging the graphics. The tracks may need repairing, but it should be easy to see where they were, and the backplate will probably need rubbing down and repainting to make it perfectly smooth. Then you'll have to decide if the coin slots need re-plating or just polishing. As you can see on this similar example, the missing cash door is just a piece of matching wood with centre lock, hinged from the bottom. I'm not sure where the returned coin (for successful play) exits on the below example - probably a capture-slot on the left, but it looks like yours may have originally been built into a stand (as many of these were) with the coin dropping to a cup below. Sometimes I think this was accompanied by the coin striking a bell.
Attachments
350.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Unless the glass is very bad (it doesn't look too bad) you can repair/repaint the missing paint from the inside. Actually, the glass looks pretty good. If I remember correctly there is some art work on the back board as well. This you will have to care with. Looks like it might restore well. !!THUMBSX2!!
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thank you pennymachines, unfortunately the one I have has only the glass supported with wooden struts behind. There is no back plate at all, and it looks as though someone has just tried to stabilise the glass to use it for display purposes only. Would I be right in thinking that these 'tracks' follow roughly the design on the front and periodically have gaps where the penny can fall through into the cash box, I'm guessing where the hazards are?

Hi coppinpr, good to hear from you again. As I have just explained to pennymachines there is absolutely no inner workings or back plate at all. It looks as though someone has just stabilised the glass for display purposes. I could really do with a pic of the workings to make sure I get them in the right place. Mei-mei
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Ah, I see, well the good news is that I don't think there was any artwork on the backboard after all. The bad news is you're going to need some sort of bendy substance to replace the tracks and a smooth backboard perhaps painted (green?) with penny sized holes cut in the hazard positions. What might work, and I say might, as a track would be the flexible plastic edging that fits over the edge of glass or metal. It's flexible(up to a point) about the width of a penny (when pressed lightly into the gap between the backboard and the glass) and it has a chrome finish which might look good (there are other finishes). It would also be pinable to the backboard. Others will have better more authentic ideas I'm sure.
Attachments
plastic tube.jpg
plastic tube.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thanks coppinpr, just to clarify are the holes cut into the back board or into the track? Can't quite work out how the pennies would fall towards the backboard if they are moving forward? Mei-mei
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, I found a solution to the track, pics below. Using a bit of right angled plastic trim I have cut little notches in it and it bends without any difficulty on the notch. I can then drill through that edge and screw it to the back board. I have used this material before and with a light sanding it will hold a coat of paint so can make it silver coloured. It is also stiff enough to hold the penny without bending further. It comes in different sizes the one pictured is too large to use in the slot machined.
Attachments
P1010002.JPG
P1010001.JPG
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If they were cut in the track you would never get a winner :lol: You will notice all the holes are on the low points of the track. If the coin fails to climb a slope it falls back into the dip, settles, and falls backward through the hole (which is, of course, if you're an operator, bigger than a penny) :cool: When you restore this machine you may well make it too fair - it wasnt. If you were careful, after a lot of practice, you might get your penny back!! :dammit:
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, thanks coppinpr for the heads up. The part of the plastic track that has the notches in is the part I will screw to the back board. The remaining flat surface will become the track for the penny to follow. I like the idea of the hole being larger than the penny approximately how much larger would you suggest? Mei-mei
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As Coppin says, the tracks are continuous, but they end just before the red flag to let the penny drop to the track beneath. The tracks are simply jig-sawed out of a flat material (slightly thicker than a penny) and glued or pinned to the backboard. So the penny is sandwiched between glass and backboard with just enough space to roll freely. I have one of these, but won't have access to it for a week or more, if you need an accurate template.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thank you pennymachines, that would be perfect. !!THUMBSX2!! I would rather follow a template than struggle with guessing it !PUZZLED! It will take me a week or two to sort out the casing anyway. Mei-mei
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, well finally got round to taking the back off of this machine and woah what a mess inside. Happily the glass is in great condition considering (pic 1), but needs a careful cleaning. The bits I thought were missing are actually there, they were hidden behind about a million broken pieces of yellowed Perspex (pic 2). As expected all the screws are well and truly welded in place so having to improvise getting to the bits I need to restore. Still would be helpful to have that pic of the inside when you have a mo as I think some of the metal track is missing. Next job, down to Wickes for fine sanding paper! !!ESCAPE!!
P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I can't be certain because of the foliage but I can't see any track missing. I can see one slightly out of line but the way the track is made and the condition of the glass I think you won't have too bad a job bringing this one round.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thanks coppiner, could you let me know which one is missing? Mei-mei
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Like I said, I can't see any missing. The first one on the left in the photo might be a little out of place, unless it's been mounted like that at the game start point.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thanks again coppinpr, will give it a wiggle and see if it has moved. Mei-mei
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The track on your playfield looks to be in better nick than the one I was going to photograph.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi pennymachines. Looks in this case are absolutely deceiving! As you can see from the pic I have cleared all the debris away and given it a first sanding. The track is 'broken' in many places and when I gave it the wiggle test, several of the pieces were found to be held in position by one secured point so rotate when touched. If I understand it correctly, the track is held in place by small nuts and bolts through the metal back plate. I am giving some serious thought about painting the back board with the track in place, then removing the track and using the shadow of it to replace the track with a more robust one. Only issue there is that the bolts like everything else is rusted to hell and getting them out will be a nightmare. Also getting replacement bolts could prove tricky? What you think? Mei-mei
P1010001 (2).JPG

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The only question I have is are the tracks rotten? because if they are not then I think it's a big mistake to replace them. Try to keep the machine as original as possible unless you have to replace a part, that's why I like to work on machines in a very bad state, then I don't feel bad about re painting or replacing.

If you intend to paint the back board with the tracks in place and they are not rotten then repair them. If there is an actual broken one then remake that one. If any are loose and only held by one bolt drill a new hole in a new place on the track piece,all the way through the back board, for the second bolt and simply use a new similar bolt.
If you do need to remove a track and the nut and bolt are totally rusted together cut the nut off with something like a Dremel metal cutting disc.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Again, the tracks on mine are worse than yours. The question is what causes them to fracture like this. I haven't investigated yet, but either the plastic has chemically deteriorated (seems likely) or it has cracked because of thermal expansion of the metal backing to which it's attached - or a bit of both.

Because the track must, above all, be smooth for the game to play well, I would (and will) remake it, using the original as a template. Modern plastics are more chemically stable and by making the fixing holes slightly larger than the bolts that go through them, problems with differential expansion could be avoided.

One option for accurately recording the position of the original tracks prior to replacement might be to score into the metal backing with a sharp implement following the existing track contours.